Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Green Tyranny, and why Conservatives Question The Global Warming Meme.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, I understand, you posted enough of story of yours.

You thought you were centrist, balanced, informed, understand both sides. Then you went on about life, cheerful, then suddenly shocked as half of country voted for Donald J. Trump.

After getting over shock, you try to prevent it from happening again, tried to read a little right-wing news: Fox, which two years ago you would have thought fake, so biased, not watchable! You also come here to post, and maybe do other stuff. But mind of yours is still closed, like we can see. Why???

First off, stop deceiving yourself, you are not 'centrist'. How do I know??

Center of politics in US over past decades moved left, consistently, so ''''''centrists'''''' like you are just plain lib. Which is why it was big shock to you, used to things getting more lib over time, when suddenly there was big reversal, with ascension of Trump, and things started moving rightwards.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      That does not change the fact that Communists have infiltrated the green movement.
      So what? That's to there benefit. You guys are always trying the guilt by association tactic. The one thing has nothing to do with the other.

"That Communists are all for a clean and government protected environment doesn't make a clean and government protected environment is evil!"
      Last edited by JimL; 01-01-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        Look, I understand, you posted enough of story of yours.

You thought you were centrist, balanced, informed, understand both sides. Then you went on about life, cheerful, then suddenly shocked as half of country voted for Donald J. Trump.

After getting over shock, you try to prevent it from happening again, tried to read a little right-wing news: Fox, which two years ago you would have thought fake, so biased, not watchable! You also come here to post, and maybe do other stuff. But mind of yours is still closed, like we can see. Why???

First off, stop deceiving yourself, you are not 'centrist'. How do I know??

Center of politics in US over past decades moved left, consistently, so ''''''centrists'''''' like you are just plain lib. Which is why it was big shock to you, used to things getting more lib over time, when suddenly there was big reversal, with ascension of Trump, and things started moving rightwards.
        So, the way I know I am more centrist (slightly left of center, actually) is two fold. First, I've done several of those online "where are you on the spectrum" tests, and they put me consistently on the "left of center, lean towards libertarian" side. Second, I not only visit sites like this, I also visit a couple strongly left-leaning sites. They tell me I am a "right wing nut" and (amusingly), one of them calls me a "contard." At first I wondered if it was you in a different venue just playing devil's advocate, but I eventually concluded it was not.

When the right calls me a leftist/libtard, and the left calls me a rightist/contard, I figure I muist be pretty close to the middle.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Since you ignore main part of what I say about center keeps moving left, there's nothing much to add, nothing much I can do to help.

Maybe if Trump wins in 2020, that might still shock you further out of bubble, just like 2016 shocked you a little. Maybe!!!

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          I also visit a couple strongly left-leaning sites. They tell me I am a "right wing nut" and (amusingly), one of them calls me a "contard." At first I wondered if it was you in a different venue just playing devil's advocate, but I eventually concluded it was not.
          Sounds like interesting site! I should visit!!!

Comment

Since you ignore main part of what I say about center keeps moving left, there's nothing much to add, nothing much I can do to help.
            You know, there's this thing called relativity?

Most studies show that what is actually happening is that the right and left are polarizing and shifting further left and right. When that happens, the left thinks the center is "drifting right" and the right thinks the center is "drifting left." In reality, the center is pretty much where it has always been - trying to look at both sides and looking for ways to bridge the divide.

Have you ever been part of a human chain? You get this in effect in parties when someone decides to start a conga line. Now and then, the front (right) moves faster or in a different direction than the back (left), and the folks in the middle are unable to hold the two ends together anymore.

These days, that's what being a centrist feels like.

Maybe if Trump wins in 2020, that might still shock you further out of bubble, just like 2016 shocked you a little. Maybe!!!
            Actually, it will. My wife and I have had long discussion about this. We are near retirement, and one of my dreams has been to spend my retirement traveling the world. If Trump is re-elected in 2020, we have decided we will definitely pull the trigger on that plan. It is likely we will go even further. I have friends in Australia and I love the country. We have already explored the possibility of relocating there as our base and pursuing citizenship.

Mr. Trump, IMO, is a very disturbed and disturbing human being. I understand his election in the context of Ms. Clinton and the rise of populism. But if our country re-elects such a person after four years of his...ummm...activities...this will cease to be a country I want to be part of. It will be time for me to find a new home that is more in line with my priorities and views.

It is my hope, however, that we will come to our senses and kick the bum out. I don't really care if the replacement is Republican or Democrat. I would prefer there to be reasonable balance between the parties, but I am not even married to that. I know that the pendulum swings. But if we re-elect Trump - IMO - it means the fabric of our democracy is fatally broken.

I am sure my departure would break your heart - and I do promise not to let the door hit me in the backside on the way out.
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-01-2018, 12:29 PM.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You know, there's this thing called relativity?

Most studies show that what is actually happening is that the right and left are polarizing and shifting further left and right. When that happens, the left thinks the center is "drifting right" and the right thinks the center is "drifting left." In reality, the center is pretty much where it has always been - trying to look at both sides and looking for ways to bridge the divide.
              Don't bother typing all this crap. People can see with own eyes, things became more prog over time, eg Obama against gay marriage in 2008 because that was mainstream, but then that changed.

Mr. Trump, IMO, is a very disturbed and disturbing human being. I understand his election in the context of Ms. Clinton and the rise of populism. But if our country re-elects such a person after four years of his...ummm...activities...this will cease to be a country I want to be part of. It will be time for me to find a new home that is more in line with my priorities and views.

It is my hope, however, that we will come to our senses and kick the bum out. I don't really care if the replacement is Republican or Democrat. I would prefer there to be reasonable balance between the parties, but I am not even married to that. I know that the pendulum swings. But if we re-elect Trump - IMO - it means the fabric of our democracy is fatally broken.
              I always get good laugh when people say they like democracy, where more popular choice wins. Then in next breath they say populism is breaking democracy.

Also, fond memories of mine was when libs and progs promised they would leave if Trump won in 2016!!! Don't break word like them, also disappoint!!!

I am sure my departure would break your heart
              Wrong! Posts of yours at best mediocre, there is about any number of other libs I want to actively post here.

Comment

Exactly, that is why you leftists seek to impose totalitarian rule... Control of populations, not the saving of the earth, is paramount here. And how is it PM, that a conservative oil state like Texas generates 37% of it's electricity through solar and wind. Free market, with a little tax incentive.
                I'd choose the lack of mass desertification and ocean acidification over totalitarian control. The market has moved in favor of green energy, but it may be too late. It would have been nicer if the public was made aware of the risks earlier and corporations didn't suppress the evidence.

Comment

Climate alarmists would have a lot easier time pushing their communist agenda if they weren't forced to constantly fudge the data to fit their agenda.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Not to mention lots of seedy characters.
                    That was so bad, it was funny!
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Maybe regulations and bodies like the CDC, FCC and EPA are totalitarian I think is the gist. I don't exactly understand it either.
                      I am not against all regulation, and to a degree the bodies mentioned above are accountable to the American people. I worry more about international trade and environmental agreements. I don't want a bureaucrat in De Hague making regulations or laws that impact my life or choices.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I am not against all regulation, and to a degree the bodies mentioned above are accountable to the American people. I worry more about international trade and environmental agreements. I don't want a bureaucrat in De Hague making regulations or laws that impact my life or choices.
                        • I think the regulatory structure of the U.S. does not have enough oversight and has, in many instances run out of control.
                        • I think Trump's strategy for reducing regulation is inane. Any mid-level manager who attempted the same in a reasonably managed company would be fired.
                        • I have no problem with international regulation for international issues. I see no reason why the U.S. should not cooperate with, and facilitate, a larger international community.
                        • I think Trump's stance of withdrawing us from many of these discussions will ultimately harm us as a country.

Comment

• I think the regulatory structure of the U.S. does not have enough oversight and has, in many instances run out of control.
                          • I think Trump's strategy for reducing regulation is inane. Any mid-level manager who attempted the same in a reasonably managed company would be fired.
                          • I have no problem with international regulation for international issues. I see no reason why the U.S. should not cooperate with, and facilitate, a larger international community.
                          • I think Trump's stance of withdrawing us from many of these discussions will ultimately harm us as a country.
                          Spoken like a true party member, the politburo bureau would be proud...

Comment

The problem is that regulatory bodies are often not accountable to the American people. The liberal dream is get rid of elected officials and rule directly through appointed regulatory agencies, which is why it absolutely guts liberals that Trump has declared war on regulations, and he's winning!
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              The problem is that regulatory bodies are often not accountable to the American people. The liberal dream is get rid of elected officials and rule directly through appointed regulatory agencies, which is why it absolutely guts liberals that Trump has declared war on regulations, and he's winning!
                              Oh for pity's sake. Are you serious?!

Trump's approach is a numbers game. The "2-for-1" rule is all about numbers, and nothing about quality. As I said before, in a well managed company, such an approach would have led to him being fired. We absolutely need regulations trimmed. But what we need is BAD regulation eliminated and GOOD regulation retained. The 2-for-1 rule does nothing to ensure that outcome, and 22-for-1 tells me nothing, except that they cut more regulations than they added by a lot; the quality of what was cut and what was added is an unknown. I also have no idea how Brietbart arrived at their "savings" number (other than quoting someone else). As best I can tell, the number is just pulled out of thin air. But even if it is correct, so what? That we "saved money" is not an indication that good regulations were retained and bad regulations were eliminated. There are actually more important things in life than money.

As for the "liberal dream," I do not know of a single liberal who advocates for that or wants that. You are spouting right-wing memes with no substance, IMO.
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-01-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Oh for pity's sake. Are you serious?!
                                Hard to believe I know, but yes, he is serious.

Comment