Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I no longer consider myself pro-life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Comparing children with dogs and saying it should be legal to kill a 1 year old is about as monstrous as one can get.
    The appeal to moral outrage it isn't a logical response to a logical argument. There are reasons why Starlight is wrong. "Monstrous" doesn't explain why it's wrong.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      The appeal to moral outrage it isn't a logical response to a logical argument. There are reasons why Starlight is wrong. "Monstrous" doesn't explain why it's wrong.
      Ummm, you seriously need an explanation of why it is immoral to kill 1 year old kids?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        ? I wouldn't have thought it possible to construct any sort of logically consistent moral view based on potential. And I find labeling it 'traditional' to be weird...
        Traditional is an adjective describing my moral position. I wasn't trying to construct an argument. I can, if you'd like, but we should probably do a thread in philosophy or something. Or we can do it here if people don't want to walk across the hall...
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Ummm, you seriously need an explanation of why it is immoral to kill 1 year old kids?
          Given that the argument is a logical one, then yes. The appeal to moral outrage is still a fallacy no matter how strongly we feel about it.
          Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Don't forget you were whining and bemoaning the death of whales more than you do any human beings too. So to you a whale is more worthy of life than an infant.
            I'm not sure why he thinks anything is worthy of life. If we're all just cosmic accidents, what does it matter? Nature is red in tooth and claw - why shouldn't we be, too?
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Given that the argument is a logical one, then yes. The appeal to moral outrage is still a fallacy no matter how strongly we feel about it.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I have to admit to being with Guaca on this one. I too find these things to be immoral - but if someone is going to make a case for WHY they are immoral, it needs to be grounded in reason. Moral outrage is not an argument - and using it as one is a logical fallacy. If someone has proposed that this action is moral, "but that's just awful!" (appeal to disgust) or "nobody agrees with you" (appeal to authority or consensus) or "you're crazy" (ad hominem) are simply logical fallacies. They don't respond to the argument rationally.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  I have to admit to being with Guaca on this one. I too find these things to be immoral - but if someone is going to make a case for WHY they are immoral, it needs to be grounded in reason. Moral outrage is not an argument - and using it as one is a logical fallacy. If someone has proposed that this action is moral, "but that's just awful!" (appeal to disgust) or "nobody agrees with you" (appeal to authority or consensus) or "you're crazy" (ad hominem) are simply logical fallacies. They don't respond to the argument rationally.
                  What happens when you treat an entire group of people as disposable cattle? What groups historically have done this and how well did it end last time it was tried?
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What happens when you treat an entire group of people as disposable cattle? What groups historically have done this and how well did it end last time it was tried?
                    I would accept the contradiction of universalizing the proposal as a rational argument. It is one of the foundations for my own moral code.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I would accept the contradiction of universalizing the proposal as a rational argument. It is one of the foundations for my own moral code.
                      Not all societies are worth employing their ideas, but you seem to avoid the question so I ask again.

What happens when you begin treating a group of people as though they can be treated and disposed of as though they are animals?
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Not all societies are worth employing their ideas, but you seem to avoid the question so I ask again.

What happens when you begin treating a group of people as though they can be treated and disposed of as though they are animals?
                        Ummm my post affirmed that your new argument was a logical one, Pixie - and mirrored a logical tool I use in constructing my own moral code. It wasn't a challenge, an avoidance, or a disagreement.

Comment

• I think that it's immoral.

...everyone finds treating humans as cattle to be a pretty evil idea.
                          Apparently not. In any case, the morality or wickedness of an action has nothing to do with popular opinion.

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Ummm my post affirmed that your new argument was a logical one, Pixie - and mirrored a logical tool I use in constructing my own moral code. It wasn't a challenge, an avoidance, or a disagreement.
                            Than just say yes.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• For guacamole and carpe: is moral outrage ever appropriate?
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think that it's immoral.

Apparently not. In any case, the morality or wickedness of an action has nothing to do with popular opinion.

fwiw,
                                guacamole
                                People violate pretty obvious moral truths all the time. Reality is Starlight needs to see his own ideological peers call his ideas just what they are.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment