Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    In the Disney version of Pinocchio he is drawn as a grasshopper though he's supposed to be a cricket (unnamed in the book -- and killed by Pinocchio)
    Killed? As in... MURDER?!?!?!?!

I will have NIGHTMARES!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Killed? As in... MURDER?!?!?!?!

I will have NIGHTMARES!
      Smashed him with a hammer. He returns later -- but as a ghost.

The original story is very dark and nothing like the Disney version.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Smashed him with a hammer. He returns later -- but as a ghost.

The original story is very dark and nothing like the Disney version.

Please tell me you're making this up.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Disney rewrote his version of many of the original stories which were much darker and more brutal. They even have a term for it Disneyfication.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Disney rewrote his version of many of the original stories which were much darker and more brutal. They even have a term for it Disneyfication.
            STOP it!!!!

Comment

Wow, did they ever. The Arabian Nights are not childrens' fare.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Wow, did they ever. The Arabian Nights are not childrens' fare.
                I posted something about this awhile back:
                Originally posted by rogue06
                Or read some of the original Grimm's Fairy Tales. The much later editions were heavily sanitized and made child-friendly (they originally were not intended for children) removing a great deal of blood and gore. In short most were quite gruesome. Also most of the wicked stepmothers were the biological mothers but that got changed as well. For instance the Evil Queen was Snow White's mother who ordered the huntsman to stab her to death and bring back her vital organs not just as proof the deed was done but so the mother could eat them.

Another example of Disneyfication of a story would be the Hunchback of Notre Dame, explained well in this strip

To enbiggenate imagification
                start by clickifying on it and
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]25641[/ATTACH]
                then clickifying on the
                resulting imagification

Far worse is Pinocchio. In the original version he kills Jiminy Cricket in anger (and blames the victim), has Gepetto thrown in jail, generally runs amok and is hung in the end. That ending was changed at the insistence of the editor who wanted him to learn his lesson and change
                Attached Files

Comment

• meanies

Comment

meanies

Many fairy tales were meant to teach a lesson about the consequences of certain behaviors and that's hard to do when everyone lives happily ever after.

Comment

Many fairy tales were meant to teach a lesson about the consequences of certain behaviors and that's hard to do when everyone lives happily ever after.
                      Yeah, Hansel and Gretel taught us all about cannibalism and child abuse. Rather Grimm.

Comment

Honestly, in a lot of cases, it was for the better. For example, the original Pinocchio was, quite frankly, a bloated and repetitive mess of a narrative. The film was able to take out a lot of the fluff and the story was stronger for it. And while this part is more subjective, I feel its switching of Pinocchio's character from a selfish brat into being well-meaning but extremely naive also made him a whole lot more likable and the story more engaging as a result.

I'm not sure it was actually made that much lighter, though. The whole Pleasure Island sequence was still all kinds of screwed up and probably creepier than the book. Notably, there's no real resolution to it either; as far as we know, at the end of the film the villains are still turning kids into donkeys and selling them into slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Honestly, in a lot of cases, it was for the better. For example, the original Pinocchio was, quite frankly, a bloated and repetitive mess of a narrative. The film was able to take out a lot of the fluff and the story was stronger for it. And while this part is more subjective, I feel its switching of Pinocchio's character from a selfish brat into being well-meaning but extremely naive also made him a whole lot more likable and the story more engaging as a result.

I'm not sure it was actually made that much lighter, though. The whole Pleasure Island sequence was still all kinds of screwed up and probably creepier than the book. Notably, there's no real resolution to it either; as far as we know, at the end of the film the villains are still turning kids into donkeys and selling them into slavery.
                          In most cases I would argue that the originals were far better and more interesting -- especially in the case of Grimm's Fairy Tales. In fact there is currently a trend of returning to the original, darker versions. And the depiction of Pinocchio as a "selfish brat" is in itself a Disneyfication. He was much worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Kuzco?
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Actually - most of the "fairy tales" we grew up with are rooted in some VERY dark stories. Read Grimm's tales. They are definitely NOT for children.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Actually - most of the "fairy tales" we grew up with are rooted in some VERY dark stories. Read Grimm's tales. They are definitely NOT for children.
                                I was playing - see here...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Yeah, Hansel and Gretel taught us all about cannibalism and child abuse. Rather Grimm.

Comment