Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I got the perfect PC term to replace "disabled"

Alt-Normal.

you're welcome.
    Normal is boring. But I like "Alt-Abled"
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I know, Adrift. That's my point. Because "dis" is associated with disrespect (insult), there is a growing consensus that "disable" evokes that idea and the word should shift. It also focuses on the lack of ability, rather than affirming the ability. As with many such shifts, this one is starting with the community that most closely works with these people. I was awakened to it by a special educator. When my own son was diagnosed with learning challenges, I began to realize just how it impacted me when someone called him "disabled." I was surprised to find that I could not get him on a 504 or IEP unless an evaluation of him was written, and that word HAD to be used - by law. The school accused me of "denying he had a need" because I was advocating for them to stop using that term about (but especially around) my son. I could see the impact it had on him, each time someone used that word about him in his hearing. I saw the tears - I heard the pain he expressed.

Until I had that experience, I never thought twice about "disabled." Now that I have had the experience, I am a strong advocate for shifting the language. To many, I have crossed over to "politically correct." I am the "word nazi." To me - I am a father looking to minimize the pain my son is experiencing, and doesn't have to experience, if people would just be a bit more careful about what words they use.

So when someone comes to me, today, and tells me that something about my language is hurting someone else - I pay attention. I don't dismiss them as "PC." I look for the human being that is expressing hurt, and look for what I can do, without really harming myself in any way, to help them with that hurt. Changing a word here and there is simply not too big a price to pay.
      I have no idea what any of this has to do with my point. The word "dis" isn't merely associated with "disrespect", it's literally the shortened version of the word "disrespect". It has absolutely nothing to do with the word "disabled". So, with that in mind, it had absolutely nothing at all to do with the rest of your post #751.

Comment

Oh I have so MANY possible responses here...

I'm sure you do, but it worked.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Normal is boring. But I like "Alt-Abled"
          But see, then you are pigeon-holing them according to what they can DO, not who they are. People just want to be normal. They don't want to be defined by their abilities, especially if they don't have one. A deaf person doesn't want to be categorized as the guy who can't hear. So anything with "abled" in it compares them to those who can and is saying they can't.

Trust me, I know what I am doing. Alt-Normal is better. They are not abnormal, or unnormal, or disnormal, they are just an alternate normal. This could include most people on tweb.

Normal is boring, but alt-normal is exciting!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I have no idea what any of this has to do with my point. The word "dis" isn't merely associated with "disrespect", it's literally the shortened version of the word "disrespect". It has absolutely nothing to do with the word "disabled". So, with that in mind, it had absolutely nothing at all to do with the rest of your post #751.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

But see, then you are pigeon-holing them according to what they can DO, not who they are. People just want to be normal. They don't want to be defined by their abilities, especially if they don't have one.
              People take pride in their abilities, and don't mind being defined by them. Contrarily, people are typically ashamed of their lack of ability, and would rather those not be brought up.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                People take pride in their abilities, and don't mind being defined by them. Contrarily, people are typically ashamed of their lack of ability, and would rather those not be brought up.
                That always comes to mind, for example, when I see somebody in a wheelchair or one of those 'chariots' at Walmart, and they're looking at something on an upper shelf. I always step in to offer assistance, but try to be sure I do it in a way that doesn't...

So far, I've never gotten anything back but appreciation.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You are just upset because rogue and I call you alt-bacon behind your back.

Comment

The point is - we should all have a chance to celebrate our abilities, whatever they might be - not our disabilities.

When a child exhibits an IQ of 130, they are celebrated for this - not dissed because it's not 160. So why should a child who has an IQ of 80 not likewise be able to celebrate what they CAN do, rather than be persistently confronted by the fact that they are "below the norm?"

I tell my sons that their true measure is not how they relate to the rest of the pack - that's just ego. Their true measure is how they relate to their potential. If a child is getting B's when they are cognitively capable of getting A's, they are failing to achieve their potential. I am more impressed with the child that struggles with learning, but works consistently at their highest level and achieves C's.

I think our language should likewise help that child - and those like him or her - to celebrate those achievements, rather than focusing on what they cannot do.

Comment

Given his screen name - wouldn't that be "rancid pig?"

Maybe "spoiled pig"

Comment

• The word "dis" is short for the word "disrespect". It has nothing to do with "dis" as a prefix for negation. The prefix "dis" can also be found in neutral words and even positive words: disembark, dislodge, disclose, disinfect, disentangle, disabuse, disarm, discern. To assert that because the word "disrespect" has been shortened to "dis", and thus, words with "dis" in them are a form of insult is just bad reasoning. It's probably some sort of etymological fallacy.

Comment

The point is - we should all have a chance to celebrate our abilities, whatever they might be - not our disabilities.

When a child exhibits an IQ of 130, they are celebrated for this - not dissed because it's not 160. So why should a child who has an IQ of 80 not likewise be able to celebrate what they CAN do, rather than be persistently confronted by the fact that they are "below the norm?"

I tell my sons that their true measure is not how they relate to the rest of the pack - that's just ego. Their true measure is how they relate to their potential. If a child is getting B's when they are cognitively capable of getting A's, they are failing to achieve their potential. I am more impressed with the child that struggles with learning, but works consistently at their highest level and achieves C's.

I think our language should likewise help that child - and those like him or her - to celebrate those achievements, rather than focusing on what they cannot do.
                          I agree with that!

But apparently you are putting way too much importance into labels and worrying about the correct label to use. A person is not a label. Your son is not a label. He is your son and a person and worth the same as any other human life (more to you!) no matter what label is used for categorization for schools or jobs or benefits. They have to use some label, so don't stress on what that label is. Whether they use handicapped, disabled, alt-abled, challenged, etc, nothing will be perfect and nothing will represent who your son truly is as a person. Don't get offended, and don't get stressed. As long as someone is not using a label to intentionally offend, it doesn't matter.

Comment

If you do it behind my back, how would I know about it?
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If you do it behind my back, how would I know about it?
                              mossy has a big mouth.

Comment

I agree with that!

But apparently you are putting way too much importance into labels and worrying about the correct label to use. A person is not a label. Your son is not a label. He is your son and a person and worth the same as any other human life (more to you!) no matter what label is used for categorization for schools or jobs or benefits. They have to use some label, so don't stress on what that label is. Whether they use handicapped, disabled, alt-abled, challenged, etc, nothing will be perfect and nothing will represent who your son truly is as a person. Don't get offended, and don't get stressed. As long as someone is not using a label to intentionally offend, it doesn't matter.
                                I agree - a child is not a label. My son is not a label. He is far more than that. And I am not easily stressed or offended. But I do recognize that words have an impact. It's why we use them. Words matter. If they didn't, then the Estate Tax would just be an Estate Tax - it wouldn't be a "Death Tax." And liberals wouldn't be screaming "Armageddon" over a freaking tax bill. We would not be using derogatory terms to refer to the people how have different political views than us. Words can be used to cut - or they can be used to heal. They can be used to foster understanding - or to beat down an opponent.

Our language not only expresses what we think - but it also informs us and molds our thinking - and it reveals us. If I preface "conservative" or "liberal" with "stupid" or "evil" or "degenerate" every time I say it, then I will reinforce my tendency to think of them as stupid, evil, and degenerate. As for revealing... when I went through the "pluralism training" (talk about PC! The stories I could tell...) that one of my clients required before I could teach there, the facilitator picked up on my habit of using masculine and feminine pronouns when referring to computer equipment. He also noted a pattern in my use of them I was not aware of. I pretty regularly used masculine pronounces (e.g., be careful as you lift that router into the rack - he's a heavy sucker!), until the equipment in question was malfunctioning. Then I pretty consistently shifted to the feminine pronoun (e.g., If the server crashes, she's going to be very hard to get back online!). It was almost 100% repeatable. At the time, my wife and I were going through a fairly turbulent part of our marriage, and a lot of blame was flying all over the place. I could not refute the video evidence of this pattern in my speech - so I took it back with me to our next marriage counseling session - and it started an amazing discussion about my underlying anger, frustration, and disappointment with my marriage and my wife - and my tendency to displace blame to her.

Words matter. I do not think we need to obsesses over them, and I'm not spending hours petitioning our legislature to omit this or that word from the lexicon. But I do take advantage of moments like this to raise awareness, and voice an opinion. I do so for my son - and for those like him. And I do so because I am desparately tired of the negativity in our country and our world. We do not need to be like this. We can disagree - we can have opposing opinions - and still recognize that we are pretty much all good people trying to move this country (and out language) in a direction we think is best for all of us. We may disagree on what that is...we may fear that if the other side succeeds, the country will NOT be better...but both sides have that fear...and neither side is acting, as far as I can see, out of malice.

Wow...I am going to need to get a new soapbox...I think that one is caving in...

Comment