Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Al Franken Resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I had nothing to prove other than observing that each side is racing to the defense of "their team" and racing to denigrate the other - with a call to perhaps looking at just how much each of us is operating out of our own little bubble - myself included. Indeed - that is one of the reasons I chose to come back to TWeb.
    And folks are trying to pop your bubble.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I had nothing to prove other than observing that each side is racing to the defense of "their team" and racing to denigrate the other...
      If all other things were equal then you would have a point. But all other things are not equal.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• He's giving a speech now...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So far, the only one I have seen who I think has approached the whole thing reasonably well is Conyers, who has denied the truth of the allegations, stepped aside from his post so as not to be a distraction, and called for an investigation to clear his name.
          And now it looks like Conyers is heading back to work as if nothing happened.

Source: Breitbart

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...turn-congress/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And now it looks like Conyers is heading back to work as if nothing happened.

Source: Breitbart

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...turn-congress/

© Copyright Original Source

Conyers stepped down from his position as the ranking member of the judiciary committee, and his stated reason was that, given his status and role on this committe, it would distract from the work that committee needed to do. He never stepped down from his congressional position, and has denied the accuracy of the accusations.

Really, MM - you do need to get out of Brietbart now and then and read something that is not skewed so badly to the right. I read Brietbart as well, but I balance it with sources across the political spectrum. Try wandering around www.allsides.com now and then - it will provide you with input from the left, right, AND middle. What I like about www.allsides.com is that the ranking of the resources is crowd sourced - based on average reviews of the people who assess the various articles. It tends to lend some balance to the discussion.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Oh, I see, so Conyers wasn't stepping down, he was "stepping down ". Now I get it.

Comment

Oh, I see, so Conyers wasn't stepping down, he was "stepping down ". Now I get it.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• In other words, it's a self-assigned punishment that isn't really a punishment at all.

Comment

Oh, I see, so Conyers wasn't stepping down, he was "stepping down ". Now I get it.
                    Not AFAICS. He did indeed step down from his rather influential committee position. He has not resigned his position as a congressman. I'm not sure how you seem to have confused the two.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I had nothing to prove other than observing that each side is racing to the defense of "their team" and racing to denigrate the other - with a call to perhaps looking at just how much each of us is operating out of our own little bubble - myself included. Indeed - that is one of the reasons I chose to come back to TWeb.
                      Okay, but that seems to carry an a priori assumption that 'everyone' is wrong. To defend and conclude purely because it's 'your guy' I very much grant is not only wrong, it's stupid. But if you've legitimately concluded 'your guy' is in the right, how would this differ? What should we expect to see?

The case against Moore is a glass house. There case against Franken is better but not by a lot (circumstantial evidence is its strongest suit). I think Moore is probably innocent and Franken probably guilty (the kiss incident) based on the evidence. I'll vote for Moore and won't be calling for Franken to step down (as much as I'd love to see him do so) also based on the evidence.

And I'll be accused of hypocrisy and rallying around 'my guy'.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• 2017-11-22-d1584541_large.jpg
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Not AFAICS. He did indeed step down from his rather influential committee position. He has not resigned his position as a congressman. I'm not sure how you seem to have confused the two.
                          It's not like he's suddenly going to lose influence and prestige in the eyes of his peers just because he "stepped down". They already knew what he did before it became public, so nothing has changed as far as his fellow members of Congress are concerned.

Comment

It's not like he's suddenly going to lose influence and prestige in the eyes of his peers just because he "stepped down". They already knew what he did before it became public, so nothing has changed as far as his fellow members of Congress are concerned.
                            You make a LOT of unsubstantiated assumptions. On what do you base THIS claim?

Comment

You make a LOT of unsubstantiated assumptions. On what do you base THIS claim?
                              Come on, you really think they DIDN'T know who was drawing from the Congressional slush fund used to pay off victims?

https://nypost.com/2017/11/14/rep-sa...sment-victims/

Word is that the vast majority of those drawing from the fund have a "D" next to their name.

Comment

Come on, you really think they DIDN'T know who was drawing from the Congressional slush fund used to pay off victims?

https://nypost.com/2017/11/14/rep-sa...sment-victims/

Word is that the vast majority of those drawing from the fund have a "D" next to their name.
                                OK - so I repeat the question. The article you linked to makes note of the slush fund, but provides no names and no indication of distribution (except to note one D and one R). I folowed the embedded links and still did not arrive at that information, so it's not clear to me how this article supports your claim. And where do you get the information that they are mostly "D?" Can you give me a source I can look at?

Comment