Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Didn't mossrose date and marry a much older man?
    Unpossible

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Superior evidence against the existence of God? I'm sorry, but in all of human history you skeptics haven't even managed to scrounge up even the slightest indicia in support of the proposition that God doesn't exist. Every argument you guys have against the belief that God exists can basically be summed up as "lalalalalala! I'm not listening! lalalalala!", or "I don't want to believe it, so your evidence doesn't count/your argument is invalid".

I mean, even if the positive arguments and evidence for God's existence were as weak and scarce as you guys claim they are (which they aren't), they still beat the positive arguments and evidence for the non-existence of God by a mile, seeing as those simply don't exist.
      his own definition excludes religious beliefs so... nice own goal
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

stop with the bait and switch BS, nobody (except obsidian) thinks 14 is ok, we are talking about 16-17.

We don't believe the 14 accusation at all.
        Why not, just because Moore is on your side?

It perfectly reasonable to assume that the 14 y.o's accusation is true, given it was "common knowledge that he regularly dated high school girls when he worked in the Etowah County District Attorney's Office in the 1980s.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-he-dated-teen

Obviously, teen aged girls were his preferred "squeeze". And, there's not much difference age-wise between 16 y.o. and 14 y.o. other than the latter being legally a minor.
        Last edited by Tassman; 11-12-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• I think it's possible that he dated her, but didn't try to have sex. I think it's entirely possible that he never dated her, like he suggests. (I don't think he's ever firmly denied meeting her, or asking her out.) And I think it's possible (although not very likely at all) that she's telling the full truth, and that he did try to have sex. He's probably innocent of it, but like I said before I don't care.

Originally posted by Darth Executor
          stop with the bait and switch BS, nobody (except obsidian) thinks 14 is ok, we are talking about 16-17.
          I don't think any age is okay unless you're married. If you're married, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what the age is. And even if you err on this rule, if it happened 38 years ago then I don't think any reasonable person would give a damn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Superior evidence against the existence of God? I'm sorry, but in all of human history you skeptics haven't even managed to scrounge up even the slightest indicia in support of the proposition that God doesn't exist. Every argument you guys have against the belief that God exists can basically be summed up as "lalalalalala! I'm not listening! lalalalala!", or "I don't want to believe it, so your evidence doesn't count/your argument is invalid".

I mean, even if the positive arguments and evidence for God's existence were as weak and scarce as you guys claim they are (which they aren't), they still beat the positive arguments and evidence for the non-existence of God by a mile, seeing as those simply don't exist.
            Actually, there have been some arguments that the structure of the universe is most consistent with there not being a creator. I'm not sure how good they actually are, but they do exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              I think it's possible that he dated her, but didn't try to have sex. I think it's entirely possible that he never dated her, like he suggests. (I don't think he's ever firmly denied meeting her, or asking her out.) And I think it's possible (although not very likely at all) that she's telling the full truth, and that he did try to have sex. He's probably innocent of it, but like I said before I don't care.

I don't think any age is okay unless you're married. If you're married, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what the age is. And even if you err on this rule, if it happened 38 years ago then I don't think any reasonable person would give a damn.
              38 years ago? It was considered a bit less than acceptable back then. (though the younger person's sanity might be questioned by that person's peers). Illegal, that it were: but 12 years earlier again, 14 was marriagable age provided a court order was obtained.) Otherwise, the common age was 16-18. It was in the 1970s that a change from the idea of marriage by age 18 was considered laudable. 1990s saw the beginnings of a hardening in attitudes (I'm not sure on whose say-so) regarding age differences. The mores of the 1970s and 80s were different from those of today, but we'll be happy to prosecute people by today's standards anyway.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Why not, just because Moore is on your side?

It perfectly reasonable to assume that the 14 y.o's accusation is true, given it was "common knowledge that he regularly dated high school girls when he worked in the Etowah County District Attorney's Office in the 1980s.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-he-dated-teen

Obviously, teen aged girls were his preferred "squeeze". And, there's not much difference age-wise between 16 y.o. and 14 y.o. other than the latter being legally a minor.
                There's a pretty big difference, puberty doesn't last that long and a 16 year old would be towards the end of it. Then there's the law. 16 is legal. 14 is a felony. Moore was a laywer, even if he wanted a young girls (which I think he did) he would know better. Regardless, the main reason why I don't believe it is because it contradicts his behavior with the other, older girls. The 14 year old allegation says he did it behind the girl's mother's back, and almost immediately started gunning for sex. The other girls claim their mothers knew (and approved) and that he didn't try anything more sexual than a kiss. To believe the story would imply some pretty contradictory behavior on moore's behalf. Lawyer with no self control trying to engage in sexual acts with an underage girl... and then stopping before the act and taking her home. And not trying anything with girls he could've legally had sex with? The more likely explanation is that the woman who claims she was 14 at the time was lying, either in part or in whole.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There's a pretty big difference, puberty doesn't last that long and a 16 year old would be towards the end of it. Then there's the law. 16 is legal. 14 is a felony. Moore was a laywer, even if he wanted a young girls (which I think he did) he would know better. Regardless, the main reason why I don't believe it is because it contradicts his behavior with the other, older girls. The 14 year old allegation says he did it behind the girl's mother's back, and almost immediately started gunning for sex. The other girls claim their mothers knew (and approved) and that he didn't try anything more sexual than a kiss. To believe the story would imply some pretty contradictory behavior on moore's behalf. Lawyer with no self control trying to engage in sexual acts with an underage girl... and then stopping before the act and taking her home. And not trying anything with girls he could've legally had sex with? The more likely explanation is that the woman who claims she was 14 at the time was lying, either in part or in whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                    It perfectly reasonable to assume that the 14 y.o's accusation is true,
                    So it's perfectly reasonable to believe an accusation for which there is not a shred of evidence?

Well, except for the lack of evidence, and no specific details like an exact day and time that would make it possible to corroborate her story.

If her accusations lack proof then the law, and common sense, demand that we presume Moore is innocent.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You still have to admit that a 30 something year old seeking out 16 to 18 year old girls to date ranks pretty high on the creepiness meter.
                      Today, in our culture, yes. In many other cultures past and present, that's perfectly normal. In Roman times, it was not unusual for girls to be married off at 10 or 11, partly due to a shortage of females and partly because the husband wanted a virgin bride.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Today, in our culture, yes. In many other cultures past and present, that's perfectly normal. In Roman times, it was not unusual for girls to be married off at 10 or 11, partly due to a shortage of females and partly because the husband wanted a virgin bride.
                        Increasing the odds that their wives are virgin and wanting to "train them right" seems to be a major motivation of many older men who seek out teenage girls.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          I think the offense is too minor to be made up. A misdemeanor accusation of petting through underwear leaves a lot of room for enhancements. And then, when she asked, he took her home.

I'm not sure how much trouble he should get into, either. WaPo reported ...
                          In Alabama, the statute of limitations for bringing felony charges involving sexual abuse of a minor in 1979 would have run out three years later, and the time frame for filing a civil complaint would have ended when the alleged victim turned 21, according to Child USA, a nonprofit research and advocacy group at the University of Pennsylvania.

Corfman never filed a police report or a civil suit.

While the details are embarrassing, there's been no suggestion they're relevant to who he is today. If he's only in trouble with his church groups, then that's for them to hash out.
                          if it was intended to just destroy his chanced in the election, they had no reason to overly embellish it or make it sound too extreme, like accusing him of rape or something. It is better to keep it minor and keep it fairly low profile because all they want to do is create enough doubt to stop him from being elected. They don't actually want it to go to any sort of trial. In this case it would be a defamation trial. The more outrageous the claim the more serious the trial would be. At this point she can just withdraw her accusation and claim it was someone else she remembered or whatever, after he loses the election.

But I really don't know if the accusations are true or not. If it were at any other time I would give the accusation more credence but it just seems too suspicious with the timing and the length of time since the alleged incident.

Comment

• Source: Breitbart

and for which they will be sued.http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...shington-post/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                              No idea how much, if any, of the story is true, but...

1. How does a grown man call a 14-year-old to secretly ask her out unless she has her own dedicated phone line -- which no one back then would have?

2. The idea that she just suddenly remembers being petted against her will after she is lying around in her underwear is typical whore rationalization. If her story is true, then obviously she did consent to it -- until she didn't, at which point he allegedly drove her home. It wasn't any type of assault.

3. "Statutory rape" is a pretend crime that the feminists invented around the 1890s, and in my opinion, it is a very minor crime.
                              Dude, even if she was the one coming on to him, he was a 32 year old man and should have known better and should never have been in the situation where she could have acted on him in the first place.

IF it happened and wasn't just made up whole cloth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                The plot thickens...

Source: Breitbart

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...-trump-office/

© Copyright Original Source

And on The Sean Hannity Show, Moore flatly denied the allegations and said, ""
                                In any sort of legal case, the first thing we do is capture all of their social media available, so if a person tries to delete or change it later, we have a record of it. Lesson: Set your privacy levels on your social media so that only trusted friends can see it or share it. Public posts are idiotic.

Comment