Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No, we were screaming...
    Drama Queens!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And he had proudly just signed legislation that declared that if someone in a position of power over a woman (such as their boss) has sex with an underling it should not be regarded as consensual.
      Then had his own cabinet members doing media gigs proclaiming his innocence!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah I do.

Comment

Jimmy, I already said that even if he was dating "legal" teenage girls (16-19) when he was 32, that alone is disgusting to me and I believe it to be immoral, regardless of the other accusations. If he has done that and admits it, then I think he should step down.

Good enough for ya?
          Not quite, does he have to admit it or will a preponderance of the evidence be enough?

Comment

Not quite, does he have to admit it or will a preponderance of the evidence be enough?
            JimL, so far there are only accusations. They have not even been investigated yet.

Besides I thought you atheists don't believe in eye-witness testimony without physical proof? Double-standard much?

Or do you now believe the Gospels and the claims within?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              I think a preponderance of evidence would be enough, but so far, there is NO evidence to corroborate Corfman's accusations. There appears to be evidence that Moore may have engaged in other unrelated and perfectly legal activities, but that doesn't come close to even implying that he's guilty of assault. And remember, the burden of proof is 100% on Corfman.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• If this is true it doesn't look good: Roy Moore was reportedly banned from Alabama mall for bothering teen girls

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you follow that story which is just reporting another news story (I hate it when they do that) you get to the New Yorker's article here:
                  https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...social_twitter

Which when you read it is full of unsubstantiated rumor and anonymous sources or sources that say they have a friend who told them blah blah.

Comment

If you follow that story which is just reporting another news story (I hate it when they do that) you get to the New Yorker's article here:
                    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...social_twitter

Which when you read it is full of unsubstantiated rumor and anonymous sources or sources that say they have a friend who told them blah blah.
                    Classic fake news.

Comment

Why the civil standard in a criminal matter?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, if I'm reading these correctly he was 'banned' at the time the other girls claim to have met him there.

Also, I'm wondering why they couldn't talk to anyone who could actually give first hand information - just a lot of hearsay instead.

In the early Eighties kids weren't the only ones that hung out at malls - heck, we did just about everything but vote at the mall (and I'd bet someone managed that, too).
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I think a preponderance of evidence would be enough, but so far, there is NO evidence to corroborate Corfman's accusations. There appears to be evidence that Moore may have engaged in other unrelated and perfectly legal activities, but that doesn't come close to even implying that he's guilty of assault. And remember, the burden of proof is 100% on Corfman.
                          On the other hand, such encounters, even if true, often don't leave behind much definite evidence besides one person's testimony, so all they can really do in such cases is say what happened without additional backup.

That said, I don't think any of the accusers have demonstrated a particular reason to believe they would be going against a bias they had. What I mean is, someone who would have reason to not accuse Moore of something, but are doing it anyway. One of the most damning things against Kevin Spacey in my view is the fact that other people who worked on House of Cards confirmed some of the rumors regarding him, despite the fact that they had strong incentive to not confirm it due to their jobs potentially being on the line as a result; after all, if Spacey got fired, the chances of the series getting cancelled went up considerably, which is exactly what happened. When your TV series is over, your paycheck generally comes to an end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Why the civil standard in a criminal matter?
                            Because this isn't simply about the criminal nature of the alleged act, the statute of limitations I would assume is up anyway, but this is about sitting a pedophile not to mention a religious hypocrite in the U.S. Senate. I see absolutely no reason why I should disbelieve all these women who have similar stories concerning the moral character of Roy Moore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              On the other hand, such encounters, even if true, often don't leave behind much definite evidence besides one person's testimony, so all they can really do in such cases is say what happened without additional backup.
                              One person's testimony can be enough, if it's credible, for instance, if she was able to give a detailed description of the location where it happened (more than just "at his house"), or an exact date and time, perhaps an identifying characteristic of his body, such as a mole on a part of the accused's body that wouldn't be common knowledge -- basically, anything that could be independently verified by a disinterested third-party. It's the lack of specific details that makes her accusations suspicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                One person's testimony can be enough, if it's credible, for instance, if she was able to give a detailed description of the location where it happened (more than just "at his house"), or an exact date and time, perhaps an identifying characteristic of his body, such as a mole on a part of the accused's body that wouldn't be common knowledge -- basically, anything that could be independently verified by a disinterested third-party. It's the lack of specific details that makes her accusations suspicious.
                                And the logical question - why now, after all these years?

Comment