Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Roy, at this point, common sense has to come into play.
    At the moment common sense is telling me there's no point talking to anyone about why elephants are grey if no-one will agree that they aren't pink.
    Who was the "God" of Jefferson's contemporaries? Who would his contemporaries assume he was referencing? What "God" was known in the US in his time?
    1) Mostly the Xtian one, but not entirely - some were deists. Jefferson himself was more deist than Xtian.
    2) If they knew Jefferson, they'd (if they didn't ask him instead) probably assume that since Jefferson wasn't particularly Xtian, he wasn't referring to any specific god, but using terms that could be inclusive of all Americans, whether Xtian, Jewish, deistic or otherwise. Otherwise they'd probably assume he meant their own particular flavour of deity, Xtian or otherwise, as many people do today.
    3) Technically, none. But lots were believed in, including many variations of Xtian god (Protestant, Catholic, Quaker etc), the nature gods of Aristotle etc via deism, and the Judaism OT God.

I think it's more likely that Jefferson avoided being specific about 'God' because it i) wasn't relevant ii) wasn't necessary and iii) he wanted to be inclusive; than that he didn't specify the Xtian god because that was the only possibility.

But again, there's no point even trying to discuss what Jefferson meant with a bunch of ignorami who claim that he specifically referenced the god of Christianity but steadfastly refuse to provide any quotes where he did so.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

But again, there's no point even trying to discuss what Jefferson meant with a bunch of ignorami who claim that he specifically referenced the god of Christianity but steadfastly refuse to provide any quotes where he did so.
      Jefferson was the main author but there were five people on the Committee that drafted the DoI. For instance Roger Sherman from my state who was a Calvinist. Livingston was Episcopalian. Adams was a Unitarian (which does not mean that he wasn't Christian) and went back to his Calvinist roots later in life after Abigail died.
      Last edited by seer; 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        At the moment common sense....
        isn't so common.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Jefferson was the main author but there were five people on the Committee that drafted the DoI. For instance Roger Sherman from my state who was a Calvinist. Livingston was Episcopalian.
          Not to mention the 56 men who signed it.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Not to mention the 56 men who signed it.
            And the Constitutional Convention:

The phrase "Founding Fathers" is a proper noun. It refers to a very specific group of people, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention. Yes, there were other important players, like Jefferson, whose thinking deeply influenced the shape of our nation and who were not in attendance, but the 55 Fathers make up the core.

The denominational affiliation of these men is a matter of public record. Among the delegates were 28 Episcopalians, 8 Presbyterians, 7 Congregationalists, 2 Lutherans, 2 Dutch Reformed, 2 Methodists, 2 Roman Catholics, 1 unknown and only 3 deists--Williamson, Wilson and Franklin, this at a time when church membership entailed a sworn public confession of biblical faith.(John Eidsmoe, Christianity and the Constitution, (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1987), p. 43.)

https://www.str.org/quickthoughts/wh...s#.Wfie-WhSy9I
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

He did not believe in the Deity of Christ, but he was not a Deist - that God had a hands off policy. People speak about the Jefferson Bible, what he cut out - what is just as interesting is what he left in. He certainly was a theist.
              He would have had to use "unorthodox Christian" on tweb for sure. But he did consider himself a CHRISTIAN, whether we would agree or not. That means his God is the Christian God, YAHWEH, not some nebulous 'god' of deism. A specific deity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                He would have had to use "unorthodox Christian" on tweb for sure. But he did consider himself a CHRISTIAN, whether we would agree or not. That means his God is the Christian God, YAHWEH, not some nebulous 'god' of deism. A specific deity.
                True...

Comment

That's completely false, Jefferson did not believe in Yahwey, Christ, or the triune God of Christianity. He believed in a supreme being, thought Jesus to be a great moral philosopher, and thats about it. He once, writing to a friend, said that he believed himself to be "a sect unto himself, as far as he knew". You can't be a Christian and not believe in Yahwey, Christ, and the triune god.

Comment

The Founders who populated the First (Continental-Confederation) Congress: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post486067
                    Oh, those Founding Fathers! I don't know, but I don't doubt in the least that most of those people were Christians of one sect or another, but unless the country was founded as a Christian theocracy, then it wasn't founded as a Christian nation.

Comment

Jefferson was the main author but there were five people on the Committee that drafted the DoI. For instance Roger Sherman from my state who was a Calvinist. Livingston was Episcopalian. Adams was a Unitarian (which does not mean that he wasn't Christian) and went back to his Calvinist roots later in life after Abigail died.
                      Except Jefferson was a Deist as was Benjamin Franklin and some of the others. Hence the wording of that document. There were Christian values, absolutely. But it wasn't wholly so.
                      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

IIRC he seemed to waver between considering himself a Unitarian and a deist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Oh, those Founding Fathers! I don't know, but I don't doubt in the least that most of those people were Christians of one sect or another, but unless the country was founded as a Christian theocracy, then it wasn't founded as a Christian nation.
                          You obviously don't understand what a theocracy is.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                            Except Jefferson was a Deist as was Benjamin Franklin and some of the others. Hence the wording of that document. There were Christian values, absolutely. But it wasn't wholly so.
                            Jefferson wasn't a Deist, Deists of that time did not believe God interfered in human affairs. Jefferson did believe He did. He was a generic theist. Two on the Committee were Christian, Adams was raised Calvinist, was Unitarian while Abigail was alive, later went back to his Calvinist roots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              You obviously don't understand what a theocracy is.
                              My guess then is that you don't understand what a theocracy is. The source of authority in a democracy or democratic republic doesn't come from god, CP, it comes from the people.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                My guess then is that you don't understand what a theocracy is. The source of authority in a democracy or democratic republic doesn't come from god, CP, it comes from the people.
                                Yeah, you confirmed it - you have no clue. And you appear to have forgotten your argument.

Comment