Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One event with a stolen tank hardly conflicts with the fact that there has not been a "bunch of incidents" with legal tanks.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Sparko said "a bunch of incidents" not "any incidents."
      Not to mention that like many (or most) gun incidents this was not a legal tank, it was stolen.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I said
        How is that changed by the fact that someone else says something different.

It also does not change the fact that the Constitution is not a living document to be reinterpreted as seen fit by activist judges.

How does the fact that Scalia did not entirely agree with my position alter my position in any way?
        That reminds me. In support of your claim, and because Teal denied that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right:

Legal Theory of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

There is considerable confusion about the legal theory underlying the "right to keep and bear arms". This is a brief outline for a clarification of the discussion of this issue.

(1) The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not establish the right to keep and bear arms. None of the provisions of the Constitution establish any "natural" rights. They recognize such rights, but the repeal of such provisions would not end such rights. Such rights were considered by many of the Framers as obvious or "self-evident", but they were immersed in the prevailing republican thought of the day, as expressed in the writings of Locke, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Madison, Hamilton, and others, which discussed "natural rights" in some detail. Others argued that at least some of the rights needed to be made explicit in the Bill of Rights to avoid having future generations with less understanding of republican theory weaken in their defense of those rights. That has turned out to have been a good idea.

(2) The right to keep and bear arms is a natural right of individuals under the theory of democratic government. This was clearly the understanding and intent of the Framers of the U.S. Constitution and was a long-established principle of English common law at the time the Constitution was adopted, which is considered to be a part of constitutional law for purposes of interpreting the written Constitution.

(3) What the Second Amendment also does is recognize the right, power, and duty of able-bodied persons (originally males, but now females also) to organize into militias and defend the state. It effectively recognizes that all citizens have military and police powers, and the "able-bodied" ones -- the militia -- also have military and police duties, whether exercised in an organized manner or individually in a crisis. "Able-bodied" is a term of art established by English common law at the time the Constitution was adopted, and is the only qualification besides citizenship on what constitutes the "militia". While not well defined in modern terms, it is somewhat broader than just able-"bodied": implicit is also "able-minded" and "virtuous". In other words, persons might be excluded who were physically able to bear arms but who were mentally or morally defective. Defense of the "state"

http://www.constitution.org/leglrkba.htm

also see:
        http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ight-protected
        https://www.americanbar.org/publicat...lf-defens.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Not to mention that like many (or most) gun incidents this was not a legal tank, it was stolen.
          It's pretty hard for one guy to drive a tank and use its weapons, stolen or not. That takes teamwork - and you're not likely to make any sneak attacks with one.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• First of all, that wasn't a privately owned tank. Secondly, he had to break several laws before he even started his rampage, so he was a criminal before he even climbed into the tank.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              ok you found 1 incident how does that contradict Sparko saying a bunch of people.
              It doesn't. I didn't say it did.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                It doesn't. I didn't say it did.
                Your post certainly implied that you were trying to say that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Actually I did answer him. Go back and read.

And actually his objection that a bunch of hicks with guns could not stand against an army just means that we should have access to machine guns and bazookas in order to have a well regulated militia.

Actually no, you didn't answer the question he asked you which was "do you think that machine guns and bazookas should be legal? Your answer was, "I think they are legal." Now you've answered it in response to me. So you believe that the people should have the right to own and bear any kind of weapon that exists?
                  Last edited by JimL; 10-11-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Yeah, I was actually thinking of that ONE incident when I worded my sentence. There might even be others, but just because such things make the news does not make them common. The reason they ARE news is because they are uncommon. Also, he did not legally own the tank, he stole it, and he never used the gun or any weapons.

Kinda ironic we nitpicked the tweb nitpicker though.
                    It'd most assuredly be much more common if many people actually owned tanks or jet fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      It'd most assuredly be much more common if many people actually owned tanks or jet fighters.
                      There aren't many people who could afford either - and those who could afford to purchase one would have a difficult time getting essentials such as spare parts and ammunition.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        Jimmy can beg the question with the best of them.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          There aren't many people who could afford either - and those who could afford to purchase one would have a difficult time getting essentials such as spare parts and ammunition.
                          Not the point!

Comment

Actually no, you didn't answer the question he asked you which was "do you think that machine guns and bazookas should be legal? Your answer was, "I think they are legal." Now you've answered it in response to me. So you believe that the people should have the right to own and bear any kind of weapon that exists?
                            Actually I DID, you just don't bother to read.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            No you asked if we have a right to them. Not what I thought. But I think we do.

Comment

The original point was that they are legal to own, and they are.

And whether they would be misused if many people had them is speculation. The fact is those that are owned now are not misused, and if someone wanted to misuse them, they can get them.

Comment

Not the point!
                                If your scenario is incredibly unlikely to occur, the point is immaterial.
                                sigpic

Comment