Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And right on cue, here comes Roy in another desperate attempt to prove me wrong only to once again end up with his foot in his big mouth.

Here's the article Tassmoron referenced earlier:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence
    Que Roy running away and declaring victory (while failing to admit to a single mistake) in 3...2...1...
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Que Roy running away and declaring victory (while failing to admit to a single mistake) in 3...2...1...
      Que?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Que?
        Thanks for proving my point for me.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And right on cue, here comes Roy in another desperate attempt to prove me wrong only to once again end up with his foot in his big mouth.

Here's the article Tassmoron referenced earlier:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence
          Oops - I stand corrected. Tassman did indeed cite articles that used different standards; the Grauniad article doesn't use the usual definition of "mass shooting".

Remind me not to overestimate him again.
          Last edited by Roy; 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Comment

He was pointing out your spelling error. Try not to give Roy such easy nits to pick; he enjoys a challenge.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Oops - I stand corrected. Tassman did indeed cite articles that used different standards; the Grauniad article doesn't use the usual definition of "mass shooting".

Remind me not to overestimate him again.
                Better advice, don't misunderstimate me.

(Yes, that's an intentional misspelling.)
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  One of my seminary professors suggested that churches should preach against gun culture (gun collections, glorifying them, etc.) I think that would be a great start.
                  Only the "anti gun churches would do that so it is not a Christian vs non Christian issue.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    I never said I was proud of it.
                    I want to know though how we would change culture. I think fear mongering needs to stop for one on both sides.
                    It would have to stop on both sides. If the left continues to vilify gun owners and the 2nd, we will not stop responding. If I see things accurately the responses from the gun supporters is purely in response to the vilification from the gun grabbing ghouls. (This is intentionally extreme to demonstrate the level of distrust on my side at least.)
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Well first of all, I take issue with the idea that taking away a dangerous weapon is like forcing someone to sodomize someone else, or like a movie villain who is committing a violent crime. I mean, that's not how I imagine it at all. I don't know why that doesn't come through in my posts. I don't even know how one can make these sorts of comparisons. They seem absurd to me. I think a better comparison might be something like a popular toy that was found to be highly toxic or radioactive. That could do harm to every citizen in the community. If the government came to take away this highly dangerous toy, and people fought viciously to hold onto that toy, then I don't see how the comparison of a crime boss or mandatory sodomy is apt.
                      The problem is that the pro gun side does see it exactly like that. Goes back to The Wall saying it has to come from both sides. As I see it that is not possible since the gun grabbers honestly believe the false image they have of guns.

Comment

I just don't think both sides are equally to blame here
                        I agree but I see the gun grabbers as the much more guilty side.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Wasn't it your argument that we don't enforce the laws we have. Wish you'd make up your mind.
                          This particular law is not enforced nearly harshly enough.

Comment

If the US has much higher records of gun violence than most other countries, and the US simultaneously values guns in their culture more than any other country, I think these two things have to correlate. That means I think those who are speaking out against gun violence have their hearts in the right place, and shouldn't be demonized for their efforts.
                            The problem with this is the pro gun side is speaking out just as strongly against gun violence. We just think that more gun control is counter productive. I think the majority of the outspoken gun grabbers are demonized to a completely accurate and reasonable degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              and nowhere else among advanced countries.http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us...cts/index.html
                              Not one proposed gun control law would help at all to prevent gun massacres. This is what has the pro gun side angry.

Comment

Wasn't there a case where an unarmed burglar was charged with murder because his equally unarmed associate was fatally shot by an armed householder?
                                And rightly so.

Comment