Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession

Interesting that this isn't a "Red State" thing...

In one of the stranger stories we've needed to cover during an already bizarre presidential administration, conditions around the country have apparently deteriorated to the point where six states are currently considering seceding from the union and striking out on their own. Texas is leading the charge, with independence campaigners running advertisements and sending out promotional material encouraging others to get on board. The Texas state GOP included a statement of support for an independence referendum in this year's Legislative Priorities and Platform document. There are similar movements afoot in California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Florida, and Louisiana, so this clearly isn't just a "red state" phenomenon. There is no indication yet as to whether any of these efforts have a realistic chance of succeeding, but the White House should probably pay attention because a lot of people are obviously unhappy with the current state of the union. (Newsweek)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Considering the "direction the country is heading" polls show that folks are overwhelmingly unhappy, this prolly should come as no surprise.

I seriously doubt that anything will come about from it though.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Considering the "direction the country is heading" polls show that folks are overwhelmingly unhappy, this prolly should come as no surprise.
      Yup

Yup

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CowPokistan?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          CowPokistan?
          The land of Cow Pokes? Oh dear Lord please tell me that there isn't more than one!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The land of Cow Pokes? Oh dear Lord please tell me that there isn't more than one!
            When the Good Lord made me, He broke the mold.

Comment

Just trying to come up with a name for the new country.

Baconida?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

When the Good Lord made me, He broke the mold.
                He forgot to take you out of it first!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He forgot to take you out of it first!
                  That's it. I quit!!!

Comment

I think we're going to see the violence first before anything like that happens. For anyone up there in years, has there ever been a time in recent American history, even during the chaos in the 60s, there was this much talk about secession?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I think we're going to see the violence first before anything like that happens. For anyone up there in years, has there ever been a time in recent American history, even during the chaos in the 60s, there was this much talk about secession?
                      It seemed that someone somewhere was pissed off and starting this or that secessionist movement. I mean there's an effort in eastern Oregon to secede and join Idaho going on. That said, I don't recall this many taking place at once.

Comment

Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession v. Texas Secessionists Working With Five Other States, Leader Says

*chortle*

Comment

Interesting that this isn't a "Red State" thing...

In one of the stranger stories we've needed to cover during an already bizarre presidential administration, conditions around the country have apparently deteriorated to the point where six states are currently considering seceding from the union and striking out on their own. Texas is leading the charge, with independence campaigners running advertisements and sending out promotional material encouraging others to get on board. The Texas state GOP included a statement of support for an independence referendum in this year's Legislative Priorities and Platform document. There are similar movements afoot in California, New Hampshire, Alaska, Florida, and Louisiana, so this clearly isn't just a "red state" phenomenon. There is no indication yet as to whether any of these efforts have a realistic chance of succeeding, but the White House should probably pay attention because a lot of people are obviously unhappy with the current state of the union. (Newsweek)
                          As appealing as the idea of secession might be in theory, I doubt it would work well in practice. A better solution, I think, is a concerted effort by governors to reclaim the power of the states from the federal government. Our federal government was never supposed to be the all-powerful behemoth it has become. The Constitution lays out very strict limits on the power of the federal government and says that all other authority rests in the hands of the states. Somewhere along the way, that power relationship seems to have flipped, and I would like to see it flipped back.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-24-2024, 01:37 PM.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It seemed that someone somewhere was pissed off and starting this or that secessionist movement. I mean there's an effort in eastern Oregon to secede and join Idaho going on. That said, I don't recall this many taking place at once.
                              Eh, you far right wing anti- Democracy, America hating conservatives are always wanting to secede, or to suppress the opposing sides vote, or to claim election rigging, or to support the overthrow of lost elections, or to attack the U.S. Capital, or to overthrow the Government, or to elect right wing Autocrats. You're just never going to be happy, even though as minority of the population you've managed to achieve more representation than the majority of the population. I guess it must be something having to do with the psychological make-up of right wingers. They're just always unhappy, always upset, if they think someone's might be getting something that they're not getting.

Comment