Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas, Five Other States Considering Secession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, ma'am, I'm well aware of that.
    Why then did you write this?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

By the way, from whence did you get "gentle Jesus meek and mild"?

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Why then did you write this?

Because I strongly suspected you got it from the song, not the Scripture.

We don't get our theology from children's songs.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        More of one willing to accept the traditional position when there is evidence to support it and not just handwave it off.
        And what is this "traditional position"? You have yet to define what you understand by the phrases "traditional view" or "traditional position".

I asked if by that phrase you were referring to an inerrant and literal bible and you did not answer.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You know, like nothing you have or even read except maybe Andrew Loke's Investigating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ -- but only because it was free and I kept bringing it up (even providing various links) -- which you apparently at best skimmed before tossing out.
        I have read Loke and I recall we had an extended exchange that included references to that text.

I have also read a couple of Heiser's texts. However, I have no time for biblical inerrantists. These texts should assessed and analysed in exactly the same way as any other ancient literary source. They deserve no special treatment or reverence.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        OTOH, I have read and own a few books that are highly critical of that position.
        Really? Then why do you never reference them or offer comments from them? Why do you always adopt the position of a biblical inerrantist?

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Because I strongly suspected you got it from the song, not the Scripture.
          Really? Or are you now back pedalling to avoid losing face?

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Really? Or are you now back pedalling to avoid losing face?
            No, ma'am -- I'll be glad to show you the chronology where I had already responded to Tab with the hyperlink showing the hymn by Wesley.
            Can't do it right now because Mrs CP and I are celebrating Taco Tuesday on Thursday!

Actually, it's right here...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think a better bet would be the children's song Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild

I try never to get my theology from hymnology.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, ma'am -- I'll be glad to show you the chronology where I had already responded to Tab with the hyperlink showing the hymn by Wesley.
              Can't do it right now because Mrs CP and I are celebrating Taco Tuesday on Thursday!

H_A said that she got it from the song, therefore you posted your comment after she had attested to the fact.

or - that's what she would be claiming about anything similar had it been included in the Biblical record, at any rate.
              Last edited by tabibito; 06-27-2024, 05:12 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

H_A said that she got it from the song, therefore you posted your comment after she had attested to the fact.

or - that's what she would be claiming about anything similar had it been included in the Biblical record, at any rate.
                OK, I'll have to look at the chronology, but I knew good and well from whence that came, because I've dealt with it plenty before.
                People aren't overly concerned about that "Christmas baby" - but they'd rather not deal with the Resurrected Christ or the Jesus returning in Power and Glory.

Comment

OK, I'll have to look at the chronology, but I knew good and well from whence that came, because I've dealt with it plenty before.
                  People aren't overly concerned about that "Christmas baby" - but they'd rather not deal with the Resurrected Christ or the Jesus returning in Power and Glory.
                  The point of divergence here was a question of who Christians are called to emulate: the Jesus who rides on a white horse bearing a sword or the Jesus who chooses to stand powerless before His enemies, with the latter denigrated by many as "sissy" or "buddy" depictions.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

You had the chronology right, but "reasoning" (aka rationalising inconvenient facts into oblivion) is far more persuasive to some than is evidence.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      The point of divergence here
                      Oh, boy, here we go again...

was a question of who Christians are called to emulate: the Jesus who rides on a white horse bearing a sword
                      Nobody is claiming we need to emulate that Jesus, Sam. It's the fact that Jesus is much more multi-faceted than some of you liberals like to pretend.

or the Jesus who chooses to stand powerless before His enemies,
                      Who had, prior to that, called out the Jewish leaders as snakes, whited walls, children of the devil, etc.

with the latter denigrated by many as "sissy" or "buddy" depictions.

-Sam
                      No, Sam -- NOBODY is denigrating Jesus in any way, shape or form - we're mocking the liberals who focus mostly (or only) on the less manly attributes of Jesus.

Comment

Oh, boy, here we go again...

Nobody is claiming we need to emulate that Jesus, Sam. It's the fact that Jesus is much more multi-faceted than some of you liberals like to pretend.

Who had, prior to that, called out the Jewish leaders as snakes, whited walls, children of the devil, etc.

No, Sam -- NOBODY is denigrating Jesus in any way, shape or form - we're mocking the liberals who focus mostly (or only) on the less manly attributes of Jesus.
                        You're mocking a strawman caricature of Jesus that you ascribe to faceless "liberals". A screenshot of "Buddy Jesus" was even provided. When people argue that Christians should emulate Christ in His meekness and humbleness, you respond with a depiction of a combative Jesus who doesn't exist in the Gospels — at least not in the form you need Him to exist. You might want to make note of who Jesus chose to use harsh language against, for example, and limit yourself to the same narrow scope. As it stands, you tend toward the opposite direction in your abuse, directing your sarcasm and acidic comments toward those you consider "lost" or "enemies of Christ".

You yourself, as a religious leader, might be a valid target for prophetic abuse. Other Christians or religious adherents here may qualify to a lesser degree. But such behavior is directed toward the in-group in the Gospels and never toward the out-group.

-Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          You're mocking...
                          I'm mocking the lefties who get their panties in a twist when a Christian - even a Pastor - doesn't allow himself to be doormat.

Comment

I hate to point it out but your post to me [showing on my computer as post #156] was made prior to your reply to tabibito [showing on my computer as post #165] and in that post you asked this:

By the way, from whence did you get "gentle Jesus meek and mild"?

To which I jocularly replied at, according to my computer, post #158

Fie for shame CP! Have you never heard of Charles Wesley?

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

No I did not. I used the phrase "gentle Jesus meek and mild". That prompted CP to ask from whence I had obtained it, to which I jocularly replied:

It was only after CP had posted a link to Wesley's hymn did I wrote "And Behold" while emphasising Wesley's name and dates.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No I did not. I used the phrase "gentle Jesus meek and mild". That prompted CP to ask from whence I had obtained it, to which I jocularly replied:

It was only after CP had posted a link to Wesley's hymn did I wrote "And Behold" while emphasising Wesley's name and dates.
                                I was presenting a parody of your normal reasoning style.

as should have been clear from the comment

Last edited by tabibito; 06-28-2024, 06:27 AM.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment