Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robert Morris (the pervert, not the University)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Thanks
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

After David was called out for his fling with Bathsheba, to my knowledge, he did not pursue any other married women.

As for the harmful spirit, the Bible says it tormented Saul, it did not possess him.
      God doesn’t confront David on his polygamy but instead adultery and committing murder. The need for correction was when he had multiple wives and concubines. This was the way of the pagans.

David didn’t divorce the wives he had after intercoursing with Bathsheba.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        God doesn’t confront David on his polygamy but instead adultery and committing murder. The need for correction was when he had multiple wives and concubines. This was the way of the pagans.

In the Old Testament we see a certain tolerance for polygamy, and certainly God never directly condemns anyone for it, so I don't know why you expect him to suddenly make an exception and single David out. And where are you getting the idea that David divorced his other wives after his affair with Bathsheba?

At any rate, the point remains: When David was confronted by Nathaniel for adultery and murder, he didn't make excuses but repented on the spot.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In the Old Testament we see a certain tolerance for polygamy, and certainly God never directly condemns anyone for it, so I don't know why you expect him to suddenly make an exception and single David out.
          That’s not helping your argument. He killed Uzzah for a reflex action but looked the other way when David married many women.

And where are you getting the idea that David divorced his other wives after his affair with Bathsheba?
          I said nothing of the sort. I said he never divorced after Bathsheba, so remained a filthy polygamist.

At any rate, the point remains: When David was confronted by Nathaniel for adultery and murder, he didn't make excuses but repented on the spot.
          But remained a polygamist.

Comment

That’s not helping your argument. He killed Uzzah for a reflex action but looked the other way when David married many women.

I said nothing of the sort. I said he never divorced after Bathsheba, so remained a filthy polygamist.

I'm just telling what the Bible says. Whether or not you think that helps my argument is of no concern to me.

Comment

I'm just telling what the Bible says. Whether or not you think that helps my argument is of no concern to me.
              No, rather I reminded you that God said nothing about David’s pre- and post-Bathsheba polygamy but killed a man trying to right the falling ark.

Comment

No, rather I reminded you that God said nothing about David’s pre- and post-Bathsheba polygamy but killed a man trying to right the falling ark.
                You might have a point if David was ever confronted about polygamy and refused to repent.

Comment

You might have a point if David was ever confronted about polygamy and refused to repent.
                  How convenient that I can commit polygamy (or any other sin), but if God doesn’t notice, I’m in the clear.

Comment

So where is the problem? Nothing in Old Testament prohibits polygamy per se, and though the king (alone) was prohibited from marrying many wives (Deut 17:17), many isn't actually defined.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

How convenient that I can commit polygamy (or any other sin), but if God doesn’t notice, I’m in the clear.
                      Now you're just being pedantic.
                      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

In the Old Testament we see a certain tolerance for polygamy, ...
                        Yes, marriage should be one man, two women and their maids.
                        And where are you getting the idea that David divorced his other wives after his affair with Bathsheba?
                        Such staggering intellectual display.
                        Last edited by Roy; 06-26-2024, 02:45 AM.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

Now you're just being pedantic.
                          He debates simply for the sake of being contrary and not to reach any sort of understanding.

Comment

He debates simply for the sake of being contrary and not to reach any sort of understanding.
                            It defies understanding that God ignored David’s remaining polygamous. You seem to be arguing that God looked the other way because of the context of pagan culture, meaning God had to rely on traditional forms of political alliance building and concubinage. That doesn’t hold water. He wouldn’t rely on pagan practices to accomplish his work.

Biblical accounts suggest that David had at least 19 sons from various wives and concubines, along with at least one named daughter, Tamar. Tolerance of this practice makes no sense given the gravity of having a brother from another mother. Things get dicey.

The disaster that David experienced of having multiple baby mamas and boys eager for positioning in the kingdom isn’t itself a condemnation, since God has no problem directly rebuking David when he’s mad about David’s lack of faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Yes, marriage should be one man, two women and their maids.
                              Such staggering intellectual display.
                              The funny part here is he thinks I was arguing David divorced his wives following Bathsheba. Um, no, he kept them as wives.

So, too, his concubines. 2 Samuel 16:21-22 says Absalom had sex with his dad’s concubines, meaning David kept women after his marriage to Bathsheba.

If David’s rehabilitation for the Bathsheba incident was to swear off strange women and be a devoted monogamous husband and father, the text doesn’t convey that.

Comment

It defies understanding that God ignored David’s remaining polygamous. You seem to be arguing that God looked the other way because of the context of pagan culture, meaning God had to rely on traditional forms of political alliance building and concubinage. That doesn’t hold water. He wouldn’t rely on pagan practices to accomplish his work.

Biblical accounts suggest that David had at least 19 sons from various wives and concubines, along with at least one named daughter, Tamar. Tolerance of this practice makes no sense given the gravity of having a brother from another mother. Things get dicey.

The disaster that David experienced of having multiple baby mamas and boys eager for positioning in the kingdom isn’t itself a condemnation, since God has no problem directly rebuking David when he’s mad about David’s lack of faith.
                                As I said, the Old Testament shows a certain tolerance for polygamy, although, as you correctly note, it's never shown in a good light, often leading to jealousy, strife, and in the case of David, bloody revolt when his son Absalom attempted to usurp the throne.

But none of that changes the fact that when David was confronted with his sin of adultery and murder, he immediately repented.

Comment