Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mr. Trump and the Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Trump and the Military

I have made no secret of the fact that I am not a Trump supporter. Indeed, it goes far beyond that; I consider Trump an existential risk to our country. As much as I want to think that our system of government can withstand the onslaught of another Trump presidency, I am not completely confident it can. Entering into a second term, Mr. Trump would not have many of the constraints that contained him in the second term. He would not have the need to keep enough of the populace happy to win a second term. He would also not make the mistake of having generals and other people of conscience on this staff; he has made it clear that he is going to surround himself (as he already has) with yes-men and sycophants, people who will say yes to pretty much anything he conceives.

But there is more. If you look closely at Project 2025, it calls for the wholesale replacement of the entire civil servant infrastructure, what so many on the right have come to call “the deep state.” These people are the worker bees who make government function. They have been hired and appointed under a wide variety of administrations over the years, so they span the political spectrum. I suspect there are people working there who have been there over the last 40 years, which means this population spans at least seven presidents. The plan is to replace them ALL with Trump supporters. The very thought of it is enough to make one shudder.

I was reflecting on this as I helped out at my cousin’s apartment, and came across the image you see here. It is an Air Force decal. The larger slogan, “These Colors Don’t Run” speaks to the dedication of the people who are members of the Air Force, and pretty much all of our military. But I want to call your attention to the three smaller slogans surrounding the Air Force seal. They are, “Excellence in All We Do,” “Integrity First,” and “Service Before Self.”

As I consider the person that Mr. Trump is, I find he fails on all counts. There is little sign that there is “Excellence in all he does.” The staff of Mr. Obama widely reported the attention he gave to morning briefings, and the level of preparation he expected of his advisers. He would read voluminous and detailed briefs, and have detailed questions to ask his staff and advisers. Mr. Trump is reported, by his own staff, to have insisted reports be reduced to a single page, and even then they could only maintain his attention if they put his name in the reports, such is his narcissism and vanity.

Mr. Trump does not show any sign of “Integrity First.” He has told us that he labels news items “Fake News” not because he believes they are false, but simply because he doesn’t like them. He and his children have both told us that deception is acceptable if it achieves a desired end. And deception is his stock in trade. He goes well beyond hyperbole, outright lying and repeating the lies even when there is physical and visual evidence that he is lying. This is straight out of Mein Kampf, where Hitler is clear that a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth. That mantra was taken up by most of Hitler’s machine, resulting in the mass conversion of most of the German population to his agenda. We all know what horrors that produced before Hitler was finally defeated.

Do I even need to speak about “Service Before Self?” Mr. Trump did not “give up” anything to be president of the United States. His donation of his $400K was a publicity stunt, given that he cost the U.S. government over $144M to support his 298 golf trips over his one year presidency. His hotels raked in over $7M from foreign governments using the properties for government meetings and lodgings during visits to the U.S. (and other countries). Even our own government employees were pressured to use Trump properties, including the VP. The records that have surfaced do not show “at cost” pricing, and Trump properties are not the least expensive available. He never separated himself from his businesses. That Mr. Trump was closely involved with his businesses was definitely proven by the recent trial, where it was shown that he was still writing checks related to those companies while in the Oval Office. Mr. Trump wanted (and wants) the Oval Office because they give him what he wants most: money, power, and accolades. Now he also promises to use that office for the other thing he covets: revenge.

Mr. Trump does not respect the military that this decal represents. He has been reported, again by his own supporters, questioning the sacrifice of those who gave the last full measure, wanting to know “what was in it for them?” What president EVER has needed to ask that question? He has refused to be seen with handicapped military personnel because “it wouldn’t be a good look for him.” He has called POWs “losers,” saying he preferred those who were never caught. There is no respect there. There is only “what they can do for me.” Mr. Trump surrounded himself with “his generals” in his first term, a move most often seen by dictators and autocrats. As he began to see that these men and women were people of honor, and resistant to his worst impulses, almost all of those personnel resigned or were replaced. I doubt he will make that mistake again.

This is not a man who deserves to be the Commander in Chief of the greatest military in the world. This is not a man who can be trusted with that role. This is not a man who puts nation first. This is a man who puts one thing first: himself. And this is not a man who deserves your vote in November. Join me in showing Mr. Trump the door, and let him face the rest of the indictments he has been working so hard to dodge. You are not “his base,” you are “his shield.” Mr. Trump knows that you are probably the only thing standing between him and jail time. He will do and say anything to avoid that consequence of his actions. Do not throw your support to an obvious traitor to America. Heed the warning of the Founding Fathers, who feared that a man pretty much exactly like Trump would someday sway the populace and gain power.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I have made no secret of the fact that I am not a Trump supporter. Indeed, it goes far beyond that; I consider Trump an existential risk to our country. As much as I want to think that our system of government can withstand the onslaught of another Trump presidency, I am not completely confident it can.
    Well we need Trump in jail then, whether he is guilty or not. After all, we must save the Republic.

Heed the warning of the Founding Fathers, who feared that a man pretty much exactly like Trump would someday sway the populace and gain power.
    That is called Democracy.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'll put it this way, you've done nothing but shown contempt for the very people you implore to join you. That and you've quite admitted you're not interested in actual discourse but rather appealing to the observer and using people as guinea pigs to go to other forums with such experience.

As far as the armed forces go, the Left regularly shows contempt for the majority of the people who volunteer who are considered as "deplorable" by Democrat presidential candidates and as far as ability to be Commander In Chief, the armed forces are currently suffering enlistment shortages due to the Biden administration's injection of critical ideology not just in training but elevating a mentally deluded man, Richard Levine, to an admiral and Assistant Health Secretary. Biden has made the US armed forces a laughing stock.

You don't care about the US armed forces outside of using them to bash Trump and by doing so you show your own contempt.
      Last edited by Diogenes; 06-03-2024, 09:33 AM.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
        I'll put it this way, you've done nothing but shown contempt for the very people you implore to join you. That and you've quite admitted you're not interested in actual discourse but rather appealing to the observer and using people as guinea pigs to go to other forums with such experience.

As far as the armed forces go, the Left regularly shows contempt for the majority of the people who volunteer who are considered as "deplorable" by Democrat presidential candidates and as far as ability to be Commander In Chief, the armed forces are currently suffering enlistment shortages due to the Biden administration's injection of critical ideology not just in training but elevating a mentally deluded man, Richard Levine, to an admiral and Assistant Health Secretary. Biden has made the US armed forces a laughing stock.

You don't care about the US armed forces outside of using them to bash Trump and by doing so you show your own contempt.
        We are in an era that while our enemies focus on building such things as hypersonic missiles while our military instead concentrates on which pronouns we should use.

LGB!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

78svt0.gif

Comment

But- but Trump!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The first is untrue, even if you consider yourself one of Trump's "cult of personality" or a member of the MAGA movement. I don't have contempt for them - I am simply not blind to what they represent.

The second is partially true. Conversation with "true believers" has shown every sign of being largely non-productive. All that comes back is MAGA meme and talking points, with little/no ability/desire to delve into the details and the facts around those memes. So, yes, this is a good place to test out ideas and posts and see what responses come back, but I do not go into that process with high expectations of civil discourse. If/when it happens, I engage. Mostly, it doesn't.

The first appears to be a "but what about" statement that does not change the facts I offered about Mr. Trump. I'm not even sure you could make the case that it is true. The second part is only partially true. According to the DOD site, recruitment was at 100% of target for FY 2020 and 2021. FY2022 was below target, as was FY2023, but 2024 appears to be rebounding to original levels. I have no knowledge of Richard Levine, so I cannot speak to his state of mind. It is my understanding that both an Admiral and Assistant Secretary require congressional approval: the executive nominates, Congress confirms. I sincerely doubt that the majority of the Senate would confirm a "deluded man." I suspect that "deluded" means "doesn't agree with my opinions" in this context. But feel free to tell me the nature of his delusion.

Here you appear to be trying to read my mind, and doing so unsuccessfully. I am not a military-hating leftist. My father, brother, three uncles, and several cousins all served with honor. With a club foot and single kidney, I could not pass the medical even in my youth. I am currently in SE Georgia assisting with the transition and care of one of those cousins who was injured during his tour of duty (not in an active engagement scenario) and now has ongoing spinal issues. I think our military is not held fiscally accountable and believe that should change. Beyond that, I have tremendous respect for those who have served this country, and recognize the value of their service and sacrifice. I think too many politicians spend the blood of our young men and women too easily.

Any day of the week, I would select a president who has had a son in service and has always (as far as I know) supported our military over a president who avoided service by leveraging his status and wealth has maligned our service men and women multiple times. It's not even close.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-03-2024, 02:32 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                We are in an era that while our enemies focus on building such things as hypersonic missiles while our military instead concentrates on which pronouns we should use.

LGB!
                I trust that our military is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. You create a false dichotomy here. We do not know all that the military is doing in terms of new technology development, nor should we. Such knowledge would compromise military effectiveness. So I trust military leaders, under congressional oversight, to be ready to deal with what confronts us.

A more serious concern, IMO, is the risk DJT poses to the NATO alliance. I applaud the pressure he put on allies to begin to meet their military spending obligations (though he does not seem to understand how NATO is funded and the almost complete absence of "dues."), but find the strategy he used for doing it childish and undermining to the alliance. I do NOT applaud the public statements suggesting that the U.S..would not meet its Article 5 obligations and would encourage hostiles to "do whatever they want" with a country that has a less-than-2% military budget. Such statements undermine the alliance and threaten America's role in it.

We are in an era when dictators, autocrats, and fascists are gaining power around the world. The most recent example of a period when this occurred was the lead-up to WWII, about a century ago. If democracies do not stand together, the risk of another world war is significant, and NATO is a significant part of protecting against that. Without them, the U.S. stands alone without allies; if we will not defend them, then Article 5 collapses and with it NATO - ergo they will not defend us. With multiple nuclear powers becoming more and more hostile, the consequences of a disbanded NATO are significant.

This is yet another reason why DJT should not be in the Oval Office. Biden has the historical context, and international acumen to understand the importance of NATO and the importance of our U.S. alliances. He also does NOT want to cozy up to dictators, autocrats, strongmen, and fascists. If you look at the Mar-A-Lago visitor list, the foreign visitors in the last two years have been heavily skewed to such leaders.

Comment

The first is untrue, even if you consider yourself one of Trump's "cult of personality" or a member of the MAGA movement. I don't have contempt for them - I am simply not blind to what they represent.
                  First, I'm not in Trump's "cult of personality" or a member of MAGA. As it's often said, "actions speak louder than words".

The first appears to be a "but what about" statement that does not change the facts I offered about Mr. Trump. I'm not even sure you could make the case that it is true. The second part is only partially true. According to the DOD site, recruitment was at 100% of target for FY 2020 and 2021. FY2022 was below target, as was FY2023, but 2024 appears to be rebounding to original levels.

Army on pace to meet lowered recruitment goal for 2024, but long-term challenges remain From April of this year

Pentagon lowering recruitment standards again: Report From August of last year.

Pay no attention to the lowered standards and recruitment goals, context is only important when you say it is.

I have no knowledge of Richard Levine, so I cannot speak to his state of mind. It is my understanding that both an Admiral and Assistant Secretary require congressional approval: the executive nominates, Congress confirms. I sincerely doubt that the majority of the Senate would confirm a "deluded man." I suspect that "deluded" means "doesn't agree with my opinions" in this context. But feel free to tell me the nature of his delusion.
                  Richard Levine is the current Assistant Secretary of Health and he was formerly the Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health. So yes, the Senate did confirm a deluded man.

Here you appear to be trying to read my mind, and doing so unsuccessfully. I am not a military-hating leftist.
                  I can only go by your actions.

Any day of the week, I would select a president who has had a son in service and has always (as far as I know) supported our military over a president who avoided service by leveraging his status and wealth has maligned our service men and women multiple times. It's not even close.
                  Then you didn't vote for draft dodging Bill Clinton? Obama was never in the military neither was HRC.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Levine.

latest?cb=20161008195528.png
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      Actually, that's Brent Spiner in the movie Independence Day
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

A) How many wars did Trump start?
                        2) How many wars happened on Biden's watch?
                        hint - they're still going on.
                        c) How does the military see Biden's retreat from Afghanistan?

I have two Full Bird Colonels in my congregation, and a Lt Colonel. It's interesting to hear them compare and contrast Biden and Trump.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

close enough...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

Close enough.

Edit: Just saw seer... so to say.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I have made no secret of the fact that I am not a Trump supporter. Indeed, it goes far beyond that; I consider Trump an existential risk to our country. As much as I want to think that our system of government can withstand the onslaught of another Trump presidency, I am not completely confident it can. Entering into a second term, Mr. Trump would not have many of the constraints that contained him in the second term. He would not have the need to keep enough of the populace happy to win a second term. He would also not make the mistake of having generals and other people of conscience on this staff; he has made it clear that he is going to surround himself (as he already has) with yes-men and sycophants, people who will say yes to pretty much anything he conceives.
                              That's enough......... Mr Trump won't need the electorate after regaining the Presidency.

Nor did Hitler after gaining power.

It's going to be a real horror story, I think.

But there is more..............
                              For sure........pages and pages of horrors to come, for the USA and the World.

I think it's too late to stem this tide, I'm afraid. You need to find a metaphorical rock to get underneath with your loved ones.

Comment