Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Off With The Catholic's Head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So basically Down Under Yodeling.
    Most commonly used when people get lost, both by searchers and the lost. So - not within coo-ee = not within shouting range.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Most commonly used when people get lost, both by searchers and the lost. So - not within coo-ee = not within shouting range.
      That's similar to the way we call OBP when he wanders off.

Comment

The speech is something of a mixed bag, but nothing in it comes within coo-ee of being misogynistic.

if we are going to be men and women for this time in history, we need to stop pretending that the 'church of nice' is a winning proposition.

Excellent point.
        Yeah, that'll be more or less universal.
        It is not prudent as the laity for us to consume ourselves in becoming amateur theologians so that we can decipher this or that theological teaching

Dreadful point.
        Protestants can be expected to, well, protest this point. For one who has to stretch to be sorta within the penumbra of orthodoxy, doubly so.

Amateur theologians are how we ended up with a plethora of churches teaching their own thing.

*studiously ignores the pig calls, since OBP was already here to begin with*
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Yeah, that'll be more or less universal.

Protestants can be expected to, well, protest this point. For one who has to stretch to be sorta within the penumbra of orthodoxy, doubly so.

Amateur theologians are how we ended up with a plethora of churches teaching their own thing.

*studiously ignores the pig calls, since OBP was already here to begin with*
          It wasn't amateur theologians who generated the schism between the Eastern and Western churches, and as Rome is fond of pointing out, schism breeds schism - which would leave the Eastern Churches with the moral high ground I suppose.
          Looking at what has been coming out of the Vatican and the Russian Orthodox Church, along with the plethora of conflicting stories emanating from various professional theologians, it doesn't seem that amateurs are doing a worse job of evaluating scripture than the professionals. It doesn't even seem possible that there is room for amateurs to do a worse job.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It wasn't amateur theologians who generated the schism between the Eastern and Western churches, and as Rome is fond of pointing out, schism breeds schism - which would leave the Eastern Churches with the moral high ground I suppose.
            Looking at what has been coming out of the Vatican and the Russian Orthodox Church, along with the plethora of conflicting stories emanating from various professional theologians, it doesn't seem that amateurs are doing a worse job of evaluating scripture than the professionals. It doesn't even seem possible that there is room for amateurs to do a worse job.
            That's akin to a challenge in some places. You're just begging for someone to say "Hold my beer..."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Coo-ee? That's how they call the pigs in?

no, wait, that's "soo-ee!"
              In Johnstown, PA, it's "Here, pig pig pig pig pig wutz wutz wutz!"

At least that's what my dad and granddad told me.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Ok, gotta ask: What disagreements with egalitarians?
                Women clergy for starters. Deacons are fine, elders and pastors/priests are a hard pass.

ETA: Being over children's ministers (eg) isn't a "pastor". The word is way too overused.

Also, women are better suited to be in the home and read children, though that shouldn't be considered to mean women HAVE to stay in the domestic sphere.
                Last edited by Diogenes; 05-24-2024, 12:14 AM.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Ok, gotta ask: What disagreements with egalitarians?
                  ったく ... You just had to ask, didn't you?
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The speech is something of a mixed bag, but nothing in it comes within coo-ee of being misogynistic.
                    You have to remember that anything short of affirming abortion celebrating girl bosses is "misogynistic".

It is not prudent as the laity for us to consume ourselves in becoming amateur theologians so that we can decipher this or that theological teaching

Dreadful point.

Laughs in sedevacantism.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

That was more politics than amateur theology. Charlemagne played a significant role in getting the filioque adopted.
                      One guy as the supreme arbiter of theology is not exactly an ideal model; if the wrong guy is elected pope, you get what we have here.

I'm not sure what theology you're referencing coming out of the ROC. There's plenty of bad politics involved, with a heavy dose of misplaced nationalism (Russkiy mir).
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        That was more politics than amateur theology. Charlemagne played a significant role in getting the filioque adopted.

One guy as the supreme arbiter of theology is not exactly an ideal model; if the wrong guy is elected pope, you get what we have here.

I'm not sure what theology you're referencing coming out of the ROC. There's plenty of bad politics involved, with a heavy dose of misplaced nationalism (Russkiy mir).
                        The important role Charlemagne played in all of this seems to get left out of many discussions.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          The important role Charlemagne played in all of this seems to get left out of many discussions.
                          It might be said that the early church took doctrine out of the hands of theologians and consigned it to recent converts, and vesting the final say with a man who barely qualified as a recent convert (if even that little could be considered accurate).
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It might be said that the early church took doctrine out of the hands of theologians and consigned it to recent converts, and vesting the final say with a man who barely qualified as a recent convert (if even that little could be considered accurate).
                            At least FWICT, while it could be argued that Charlemagne wasn't much of a Christian, he had at least considered himself one long before he got Theodulf of Orléans to pen De Spiritu Sancto ("Concerning the Holy Spirit"). He came from a Christian family and, although he had a nasty habit of converting by the sword (ask the Saxons), he did appear to take his role as defender and supporter of the church pretty seriously.

Comment

ったく ... You just had to ask, didn't you?
                              I must ruefully confess there are certain topics that "itch" me, and I usually can't resist "picking the scab."
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Women clergy for starters. Deacons are fine, elders and pastors/priests are a hard pass.

ETA: Being over children's ministers (eg) isn't a "pastor". The word is way too overused.

Also, women are better suited to be in the home and read children, though that shouldn't be considered to mean women HAVE to stay in the domestic sphere.
                                Ok. As is clear from my multi-line sig, I disagree. I won't pursue it further here. I'm always willing to discuss/debate the topic, but I've been doing plenty of that on YouTube and Facebook. And debating *anything* online in any depth is challenging right now. Hit my data cap and my speed is throttled from 5G down to 2G until early next month.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment