Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

LGBTQ Fascists, again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

So, is your argument, “if a religion in America objects to it, it should not be taught in a public school?”
    No. I don't think it is the place of schools to be teaching specific cultural, moral and political views at all. How would you like it if schools were controlled by conservatives and taught only things like homosexuality is an abnormality, or that conservative values are the correct ones and liberal values are immoral? Schools should remain neutral and teach reading, writing, math, science, geography. Leave moral viewpoint lessons for parents to handle.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-16-2024, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Children are indoctrinated into a moral belief system, that many parents find objectionable. So what is the problem with letting parents opt out? We do in my district. Why force this on young children?
      You have not answered the question. How, specifically, are these people’s religious freedoms being infringed upon?”
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Get new school board members elected so they can assure you have a godly Superintendent.

We did!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a BELIEF system Carp, nothing to do with basic studies. It is a political ideology...
          Everything we believe is a “belief system,” Seer. So is it your position, “anything that any religion in America objects to should be eliminated from the school curriculum?” It’s a simple yes/no question.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Why do we need LGBTQSRKLMN++++ curriculum in schools in the first place when we can't even teach reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Everything we believe is a “belief system,” Seer. So is it your position, “anything that any religion in America objects to should be eliminated from the school curriculum?” It’s a simple yes/no question.
              So you would have no problem forcing religions on kids K-5?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You have not answered the question. How, specifically, are these people’s religious freedoms being infringed upon?”
                I'm not making a religious argument per se. I'm saying they need to keep their ideology and twisted moral beliefs out of public schools. Again Carp, what is wrong about letting parents op out, we do it in my town, no big deal. Why the fascist tactics?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  No. I don't think it is the place of schools to be teaching specific cultural, moral and political views at all. How would you like it if schools were controlled by conservatives and taught only things like homosexuality is an abnormality, or that conservative values are the correct ones and liberal values are immoral? Schools should remain neutral and teach reading, writing, math, science, geography. Leave moral viewpoint lessons for parents to handle.
                  First, there is simply no way a school teaches just
                  your list. A school is a community of young, socially immature people. They fight. They call names. They steal. They ridicule. A school is constantly teaching “appropriate behavior.” It teaches the moral values of the society in which it exists. We live in a
                  society that mostly values respecting one another, NOT calling childish names, not undermining those who are different. Therefore, those social values are taught in schools. That includes not disrespecting LGBTQ+ people, races, religions, and so forth.

In the scenario you describe, I would not be happy in the least. But if those were the dominant norms of my society, I hope I would recognize that I do not have the right to impose my beliefs on others when I am in the minority. That leaves me with a few choices. Try to change the society. Remove my child from the influence and teach them myself or put them in a different school, or move to a different society that reflects my values.

Comment

I'm not making a religious argument per se. I'm saying they need to keep their ideology and twisted moral beliefs out of public schools. Again Carp, what is wrong about letting parents op out, we do it in my town, no big deal. Why the fascist tactics?
                    Then I don’t understand your objection to the ruling. The ruling was that these people had not shown that the basis for the suit, that their religious liberties had been infringed, was not shown. If you don’t object to that ruling, then I don’t see why this ruling is an issue.

I recognize you don’t want these things taught in schools. That reality does not seem to be relevant to this particular ruling.

As for your opt-out question, it’s a matter of logistics. When a school starts supporting “opt-out” options for everything someone might object to, the logistics for managing it within the school quickly become nightmarish. Despite your language, “fascism” has nothing to do with it. Trying to manage a large school body with limited resources and strained teachers is the primary issue.
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-16-2024, 04:47 PM.

Comment

That includes not disrespecting LGBTQ+ people, races, religions, and so forth.
                      There is no need to force kids to read "The Pride Puppy," "Uncle Bobby's Wedding" and "Born Ready: The True Story of a Boy Named Penelope." Maybe we should force the kids to read the Bilbe, the Torah and the Koran.

Comment

As for your opt-out question, it’s a matter of logistics. When a school starts supporting “opt-out” options for everything someone might object to, the logistics for managing it within the school quickly become nightmarish. Despite your language, “fascism” has nothing to do with it. Trying to manage a large school body with limited resources and strained teachers is the primary issue.
                        Nonsense, we have had op out provisions for sex education in grade school since the late 60s - no big deal. So you are full of crap again,and a fascist.

Curriculum is not required to include instruction on gender identity or sexual orientation. Curriculum is not required to include instruction on consent. Parents or guardians can remove their children from sex education and STI/HIV education with written notification. This is referred to as an “opt-out” policy.https://siecus.org/stateprofiles/con...te-profile-23/
                        Last edited by seer; 05-16-2024, 04:52 PM.

Comment

There is no need to force kids to read "The Pride Puppy," "Uncle Bobby's Wedding" and "Born Ready: The True Story of a Boy Named Penelope." Maybe we should force the kids to read the Bilbe, the Torah and the Koran.
                          If you can show me examples of children being FORCED to read any given book, I’ll tend to agree. In most cases, teachers
                          provide a slate of literature and students choose.

About the only place I endorse “forced” reading is when the book is the subject in question. So the text book that is the basis for a class is required reading. So a “religious studies”
                          course should include the texts you list. A course
                          on the writings of Hawthorne should feature his books. And
                          so forth.

Comment

Nonsense, we have had op out provisions for sex education in grade school since the late 60s - no big deal. So you are full of crap again,and a fascist.
                            Your “nonsense” doesn’t make it so. Having been a teacher and sub for a K-12 system, I understand the
                            logistics involved. When it is an entire subject, like “sex ed”” it can be accommodated to some degree. When parents ask for the right to opt out of topics within classes, the logistics quickly grow nightmarish. The school cannot be a buffet where every parent chooses their menu items.

Comment

If you can show me examples of children being FORCED to read any given book, I’ll tend to agree. In most cases, teachers
                              provide a slate of literature and students choose.
                              Those are the books in question in the classes the kids can not opt out of.

Comment

Those are the books in question in the classes the kids can not opt out of.
                                Sources, please?

Comment