Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden and Trump agree to debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

You have only ever been criticized for indulging to excess in your self-described daily meme trawling. Too many memes, you've been told a number of times.

-Sam
    You complained about their use. So what we now have is when I post a meme, that's bad. Posting memes are bad. Period. But when you post a meme, that's different.

Welcome to the Memers Union Sam. Have a seat we're about to get started.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      You complained about their use. So what we now have is when I post a meme, that's bad. Posting memes are bad. Period. But when you post a meme, that's different.

memes.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

It's kinda like when the Pharisees decide that it is not sinful to walk ALMOST 3/5 of a mile from your house on the Sabbath, but any more than that is a sin.
        Perhaps Sam will tell you the precise number of memes you can post without it being a sin?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, since I never wrote that posting memes is inherently bad, period, but have repeatedly said that posting memes in lieu of critical thought and/or regurgitating multiple memes that you found in your daily trawl is a sign of brain rot ... that's a QED right there.

-Sam

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Well, since I never wrote that posting memes is inherently bad, period, but have repeatedly said that posting memes in lieu of critical thought and/or regurgitating multiple memes that you found in your daily trawl is a sign of brain rot ... that's a QED right there.

-Sam
            That sentence was a bit hard to follow, so I translated it into a meme I found.

dme1nb84pvw61.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3e3862182071ab3dcfbca0b407ce021a6f34cbd2.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That sentence was a bit hard to follow, so I translated it into a meme I found.

dme1nb84pvw61.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3e3862182071ab3dcfbca0b407ce021a6f34cbd2.jpg
              Not bad, not bad.

Consider it analogous to microdosing LSD: don't overdo it and if you get the point of wondering if you're overdoing it, you probably are.

-Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Not bad, not bad.

Consider it analogous to microdosing LSD: don't overdo it and if you get the point of wondering if you're overdoing it, you probably are.

-Sam
                Translated:

677ne9.jpg?w=625&ssl=1.jpg51EsSgHLPeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpgChLIG2-W0AE8sR5.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Whatever happens I know it will be entertaining!
                  Unless Trump gets locked up beforehand, which is one of the variety of potential scenarios that could change all this.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Unless Trump gets locked up beforehand, which is one of the variety of potential scenarios that could change all this.
                    A) his polling numbers will probably increase - particularly among blacks, Hispanics, and Independents.
                    2) there is nothing that prevents him from running for POTUS or occupying the Office if elected.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) his polling numbers will probably increase - particularly among blacks, Hispanics, and Independents.
                      2) there is nothing that prevents him from running for POTUS or occupying the Office if elected.
                      It is one of the variety of potential situations that will change the dynamic of the debate coming up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Being confined to a state petitionary would definitely prevent someone from "occupying the Office" in any meaningful sense. In such a case, the vice president would be serving as acting president until the president became available.

-Sam

Comment

Being confined to a state petitionary would definitely prevent someone from "occupying the Office" in any meaningful sense. In such a case, the vice president would be serving as acting president until the president became available.

-Sam
                          Eugene V Debs was allowed to run for office while incarcerated. There's nothing in the Constitution prohibiting a convicted individual from serving as POTUS. More than likely, any sentence would be tolled while in office.
                          Last edited by Diogenes; 05-21-2024, 05:52 PM.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Eugene V Debs was allowed to run for office while incarcerated. There's nothing in the Constitution prohibiting a convicted individual from serving as POTUS. More than likely, any sentence would be tolled while in office.
                            No. Running for office is not the same as serving in office and there's nothing in the Constitution or law that suggests a convicted criminal can have their sentence "tolled" until after their term ends. The president would remain the president but, not being able to fulfill their duties, could not serve as president until they were released. The vice president would preside as acting president, same as they would were the president hospitalized and incapacitated.

Yours would be to argue that a candidate could murder and eat 17 people, run for president, win, and remain free until after they served their term. Too bad for Hannibal Lecter that he apparently died before he got his chance.

-Sam

Comment

No. Running for office is not the same as serving in office and there's nothing in the Constitution or law that suggests a convicted criminal can have their sentence "tolled" until after their term ends. The president would remain the president but, not being able to fulfill their duties, could not serve as president until they were released. The vice president would preside as acting president, same as they would were the president hospitalized and incapacitated.

Yours would be to argue that a candidate could murder and eat 17 people, run for president, win, and remain free until after they served their term. Too bad for Hannibal Lecter that he apparently died before he got his chance.

-Sam
                              If you don't like the precedent of Eugene V Debs, that's not my problem. Seeing as Presidents routinely execute the office from places other than the White House, even assuming the individual would remain incarcerated, there's nothing to suggest the office of the President could not be executed from a jail cell.

Tolling the sentence would be the logical result of an incarcerated individual being elected.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

If you don't like the precedent of Eugene V Debs, that's not my problem. Seeing as Presidents routinely execute the office from places other than the White House, even assuming the individual would remain incarcerated, there's nothing to suggest the office of the President could not be executed from a jail cell.

Tolling the sentence would be the logical result of an incarcerated individual being elected.
                                Even if he legally could serve from prison, putting aside how that would possibly work practically (how would they be able to protect him, etc?) the country would be so politically fractured, it would no longer be functional. I suppose that's inevitable at some point anyhow.

Comment