Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Louisiana law gets medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

My first thought, the judge is obviously a psychopath.
    It is not the judge. It is the law and those who proposed it and voted it on to the legislature. I wonder they have not brought back branding or tarring and feathering.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      What a load of crap.

Nearly every instance of my using it was in quotes
      Unfortunately you forgot to include them here:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      We're all special. In different ways. Like you are special... special needs, apparently.

In the United Kingdom, special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context. This is also referred to as special educational needs (SEN) or special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
      And that phrase may also apply to gifted pupils, "special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context." I would also again, remind you that highly gifted children may have disabilities of various sorts. Likewise their advanced cognitive abilities may impact on them emotionally and psychologically.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6060660/
      Abstract

Introduction:

To compare the quality of life, areas of social, emotional, behavioural and mental problems and family functionality of gifted children and children of normal intelligence.
      Methods:

The study included 49 gifted children aged 9-18 years and 56 age and gender-matched healthy children of normal intelligence. The Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children-Present and Lifetime Version (K-SADS-PL), and the Children’s Depression Rating Scale were applied to all the cases. The Quality of Life Scale for Children, the Depression Scale for Children, the Trait-State Anxiety Inventory, and the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire- Adolescent Form were completed by all the participants. All the parents completed the Family Evaluation Scale, the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire- Parents Form and the Parents Form of the Quality of Life Scale for Children.
      Results:

Compared to children of normal intelligence, gifted children described themselves as more inattentive and lively, social functionality was reported to be low and they had a worse perception of their physical health status. Gifted boys were determined to have more depressive symptoms than gifted girls. The parents of boys of normal intelligence reported lower academic performance than the parents of gifted boys. This difference was not determined for girls between the cases and comparative groups.
      Conclusion:

All the findings obtained in this study suggest that gifted children are at risk in respect of mental health. Therefore, to be able to become healthy adults in a biopsychosocial aspect, it is important for the future of gifted children that this status can be identified at an early age, that they can receive appropriate education, that support and counselling are provided for emotional needs and that parents and teachers are fully informed.

Keywords: Gifted children, quality of life, family functionality, depression, social-emotional-behavioural problems

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ifted_children

Abstract

Although the studies conducted in the field of gifted students in our country have gained momentum in recent years, studies regarding interventions that will respond to their social and emotional needs remain limited. In addition to evoking many positive features such as giftedness, being smart and successful, the difficulties caused by giftedness in individuals' lives are ignored. Therefore, the aim of this study is to introduce the problems faced by gifted children in the social-emotional field and the most common intervention programs. However, possible risk factors and protective factors were also summarized for them to be guiding in the selection of the intervention program to be implemented. In addition, the problems experienced by gifted individuals in the social and emotional field were illustrated with a case study. Finally, some conclusions and recommendations that may be useful for psychological counselors serving in the field of gifted students, families of gifted students, and teachers working with gifted students were examined in the light of the relevant literature.

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2017-32525-032

Abstract

There is a long history of interest in the adjustment of gifted children. Generally, two views have prevailed. The first view is that gifted children as a group are better adjusted than their typically developing peers, because they are capable of greater understanding of self and others. Therefore, they cope better with stress and conflicts. Many empirical studies support this view (Neihart, Pfeiffer, & Cross, 2015). The second view is that gifted children are more at-risk for psychological problems, particularly during adolescence and adulthood, because they are more sensitive to interpersonal conflicts and experience greater degrees of alienation and stress (Silverman, 2012). There is some evidence to support this idea (e.g., Gross, 1993, 2006). Gifted children do have unique psychological issues, but these do not arise from giftedness itself. Rather, giftedness seems to add complexity to an individual that can either enhance or interfere with healthy adjustment, depending on several factors. The aim of this chapter is to summarize the research on these factors and describe practical implications that have an evidence base. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2024 APA, all rights reserved).

Of that last Abstract, Mozart may be a case in point. His prodigious gift did not seem to prevent him having an enjoyable childhood despite the long and arduous tours around Europe.

Moreover, it is only now that you raise an objection to the term, particularly after using it yourself.
      I have informed you that the phrase also applies to high ability pupils but once again you cannot admit you are in error.

I have referred to your use of it as a pejorative towards myself as a result of reading Juvenal's comments to Sparko here: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...34#post1581840 in response to Sparko referring to my autism in a post showing on page 27, according to my computer

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Most likely, your references show how disconnected you are from people. Must be your autism.
      Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

If true, that's wildly inappropriate. If false, it's an attempt to turn autism into something contemptible.
      Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Did you get hit by the stupid bus recently? I'm going to spell it out in big letters this time.

DO NOT ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS BY CALLING THEM AUTISTIC.

Do you get it now? Is that simple enough for you?

You attacked someone you hold in contempt by calling them autistic, even though you don't believe that's true. That's what "turning autism into something contemptible" means. Unless you're a medical professional, trained in that speciality, you don't diagnose it at all, let alone over the internet. That is wicked cringe.

This mad cabal that thinks they can bandy autism about in these conversations needs breaking up, and you're just the right color to do it. I'm not the only who's noticed MM stepping back from changing usernames after you came out against it.

Clean up your act or none of the rest will.

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        My first thought, the judge is obviously a psychopath.

Yeah, that's it!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It is not the judge. It is the law and those who proposed it and voted it on to the legislature. I wonder they have not brought back branding or tarring and feathering.
          Yes, because those things are always done by a medical professional under operating room conditions with the patient's written approval.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In the United Kingdom, special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context. This is also referred to as special educational needs (SEN) or special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
            ETA.

As a further reference to Juvenal's comments, it perhaps needs to be pointed out that in education children with autism are also regarded as having "special needs "
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You used a disability i.e. having special needs as a term of derision and applied it to me.

Why stop there? Why not use other disabilities and/or conditions as terms of derision for those whom you dislike?

Juvenal has chastised Sparko for using autism as a pejorative, as Sparko used the condition as a term of derision towards someone he does not like.

Bovine scat.

This is nothing more than a sorry attempt to distract and deflect from the fact that once again you insisted that something was the case only for you to not only refuse to back the claim up but the available evidence points to the exact opposite.

You had no objection when I cited Wiki and various dictionaries using the term.

You certainly didn't object to its usage when you yourself used it.

Only after it finally sunk in that once again you were wrong, that you suddenly decided that the term you yourself used is objectionable and a slur, and now you want to focus on that.

Pathetic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

ETA.

As a further reference to Juvenal's comments, it perhaps needs to be pointed out that in education children with autism are also regarded as having "special needs "
                Perhaps you should inform the Brits that their official use of "disabilities" in the name describing special needs is a slur and remind them that it also means gifted people as well since they obviously don't know anything about that.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bovine scat.
                  You referred to me having "special needs" as a term of derision. Fact.

This is nothing more than a sorry attempt to distract and deflect from the fact that once again you insisted that something was the case only for you to not only refuse to back the claim up but the available evidence points to the exact opposite.

You had no objection when I cited Wiki and various dictionaries using the term.
                  I initially did not address those links

You certainly didn't object to its usage when you yourself used it.
                  I pointed out that special needs can apply to highly gifted children.

However, you repeatedly show you cannot admit you are in error and you never apologise for using derisory or potentially offensive language.

Why not be really honest in the future and call Sam a mong or eider a retard, or myself a spaz. Go the whole nine yards.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Perhaps you should inform the Brits that their official use of "disabilities" in the name describing special needs is a slur and remind them that it also means gifted people as well since they obviously don't know anything about that.
                    The difference being that you used the term "special needs" as a slur when you applied it to me.

However, to admit you were at fault is completely beyond you as you are entirely lacking in probity. The absence of any rectitude in your online persona has been shown on several previous occasions.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The difference being that you used the term "special needs" as a slur when you applied it to me.

However, to admit you were at fault is completely beyond you as you are entirely lacking in probity. The absence of any rectitude in your online persona has been shown on several previous occasions.

Your only complaint about insulting others is that they use crasser language than you. You have no problem insulting others, so cry us all a river.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Your only complaint about insulting others is that they use crasser language than you. You have no problem insulting others, so cry us all a river.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Those goalpost should get a speeding ticket for as fast as they were just moved.

You kept falsely claiming that my use of "disability" or "disabilities" was what was egregiously wrong and what you focused on, not "special needs":

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          ...you continue to use a disability as a term of derision.
                          And let us not forget, you had no problem with the term, even using it yourself, until it finally dawned on you that your assertion that "special needs" also included those were capable and gifted was horse apples. It was then that you figured you could hide your failure by going on the attack for my using the term "disability."

But that also blew up in your face when I showed that nearly ever time I used the term I was citing Wiki or dictionaries like Merriam-Webster, Cambridge and Oxford. I even pointed out that the British government even uses the word in their official designation.

At that point you went from being put on your back foot into full back-pedaling mode.

In your failed attempt to distract from your false claim, you now changed your mind about "disability" and figure you'll try your luck with "special needs."

Buffoonery.gif
                          Congratulations. You really earned it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I have never even once called her a nincompoopiehead. Not once.

Comment

I have never even once called her a nincompoopiehead. Not once.
                              You save that for me!

Comment

Those goalpost should get a speeding ticket for as fast as they were just moved.
                                Why are you still trying to deny your use of "special needs" as a derisory comment? Have you no dignity?

You kept falsely claiming that my use of "disability" or "disabilities" was what was egregiously wrong and what you focused on, not "special needs":
                                As those abstracts I provided illustrate gifted children may also have disabilities, it depends on how disability is defined.

And let us not forget, you had no problem with the term, even using it yourself,
                                Where have I employed the phrase "special needs" as a term of mockery or ridicule?

But that also blew up in your face when I showed that nearly ever time I used the term I was citing Wiki or dictionaries like Merriam-Webster, Cambridge and Oxford. I even pointed out that the British government even uses the word in their official designation.
                                Again you seem unable to comprehend that gifted children may also have disabilities because it depends upon how the term is defined.

At that point you went from being put on your back foot into full back-pedaling mode.

In your failed attempt to distract from your false claim, you now changed your mind about "disability" and figure you'll try your luck with "special needs."

Buffoonery.gif
                                Congratulations. You really earned it.

That you have yet again resorted to more pejorative language and gifs illustrates you are on the backfoot and are desperately attempting to defend what is in fact an indefensible position.

To use a disability i.e. "special needs" as a slur or an insult is beneath contempt.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment