Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australia Banning Free Speech...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Extinct ca 40,000 years since.
    Just what they want you to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Just what they want you to think.
      The nasties do exist, but they aren't often encountered. Drop bears now ... I wouldn't put it past them.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is exactly what it is. By definition. You said: It could easily copied and distributed by other means. Why should they try and stop that?
        This is NOT an effort to ban Free Speech. It is what rogue06 and I described.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

This is NOT an effort to ban Free Speech. It is what rogue06 and I described.
          It is when you try to force a platform like X to remove a video world wide...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What are you talking about? They are trying to ban a news story and the video (which was recorded in the church) from being shared and published.
            The underscored section is false.

Why do they have the right to try and stop that story? Be specific.
            There has been no attempt to stop the story - so the question, insofar as it relates to this event, is invalid.
            It has not been established that "they have the right to stop that story." An attempt to "stop that story" was not even made.

Your plaint seems to be no more than wholly empty histrionics.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There has been no attempt to stop the story - so the question, insofar as it relates to this event, is invalid.
              It has not been established that "they have the right to stop that story." An attempt to "stop that story" was not even made.

Fine, but the point remains that your prime minister tried to get the video spiked. And that video is an important part of the story. Let me ask you, when some Christians were rioting after the attack and carrying crosses did your government have that video taken down in your country? That wasn't on your news - was it?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Australian court orders Elon Musk’s X to hide Sydney church stabbing posts from users globally

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...dney-stabbings
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Australian court orders Elon Musk’s X to hide Sydney church stabbing posts from users globally

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...dney-stabbings
                  Ah - so it wasn't the government, it was the court - and an interim order at that, pending a determination of whether the Australian government has a legal right to require that a video be prevented from circulation globally.
                  With an accompanying overstatement of the kind common to the press, that the Australian government is attempting to hide "church stabbing posts," where in fact the government, as is stated in the self-same article, targeted only the video.

It remains to be seen who the court will decide is in the right.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Ah - so it wasn't the government, it was the court
                    Per the article:

X, along with Meta, were ordered by the eSafety commissioner, Julie Inman Grant

Yes, your PM and a Tasmanian Senator have been very vocal about censoring X.

- and an interim order at that, pending a determination of whether the Australian government has a legal right to require that a video be prevented from circulation globally.
                    Logically it doesn't.

With an accompanying overstatement of the kind common to the press, that the Australian government is attempting to hide "church stabbing posts," where in fact the government, as is stated in the self-same article, targeted only the video.
                    In the age of Tik Tok and YT shorts, this is rather disingenuous and uncharitable. The PM doesn't want people to see a migrant attacking a priest. It's quite simple. Australia was made rather famous for the authoritarian measures it took during Covid.

It remains to be seen who the court will decide is in the right.
                    The court will likely determine the Australian govt can censor globally. That doesn't mean the court would be right.

The clip from the prequels about liberty dying to thunderous applause is becoming more prophetic regarding the West with each new state of exception.
                    Last edited by Diogenes; 05-02-2024, 07:56 AM.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It is when you try to force a platform like X to remove a video world wide...
                      You are ignoring the purpose of this. Just removing it in Australia sources does not stop access because of the easy access to international sources.

Comment

Upon his return it looks like Bishop Mar Mari, during his sermon, indicated that he was not a big fan of the Australian government's decision.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Just removing it in Australia sources does not stop access because of the easy access to international sources.
                          Good grief: Australian court orders Elon Musk’s X to hide Sydney church stabbing posts from users globally

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Upon his return it looks like Bishop Mar Mari, during his sermon, indicated that he was not a big fan of the Australian government's decision.

Just noting that is NOT me! I have a black eye patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Just noting that is NOT me! I have a black eye patch.
                              I'll bet he bathes too.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good grief: Australian court orders Elon Musk’s X to hide Sydney church stabbing posts from users globally
                                I read them. SO WHAT?!?!?!!?

Comment