Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kristi Nom Reminds Us We Are Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Personally, I couldn't care less about her shooting the dog. I'm sure she had good reason to (she's not an island and her family would have given her grief about it if it wasn't justified, and hence wouldn't have ended up in a book).

However, there has been some criticism of her not handling the subject well when questioned on it. I would expect a senior administrator to be adept at handing himself/herself in the face of adversity.

We'll see how it all shakes out.
    I'd say it's well-shaken, at this point.

ScreenShot00040.png

It turns out the story about killing her dog is pivotal to the book's closing argument and kicker.

As far as the veepstakes goes, I'm going to suggest there's no real chance. Trump does not like media attention that takes away from himself and remains politically savvy enough to avoid the question "Your running mate infamously wrote about killing her dog and threatening President Biden's — what are your thoughts on that?"

-Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      It turns out the story about killing her dog is pivotal to the book's closing argument and kicker.

As far as the veepstakes goes, I'm going to suggest there's no real chance. Trump does not like media attention that takes away from himself and remains politically savvy enough to avoid the question "Your running mate infamously wrote about killing her dog and threatening President Biden's — what are your thoughts on that?"

-Sam
      I'd have Biden's dog put down, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ite-24-agents/

Biden’s dog bit Secret Service agents about 24 times, new records show
      One biting incident involving Commander, the presidential dog, briefly shut down White House tours because of blood on the floor

Comment

One biting incident involving Commander, the presidential dog, briefly shut down White House tours because of blood on the floor
        Another instance where rehoming is an option and therefore the preferable action. Putting a dog into a high-occupancy, high-turnover, high-traffic environment is a human choice. If the dog can't stay there because it's a danger in that environment, you change the environment before killing the dog.

-Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Another instance where rehoming is an option and therefore the preferable action. Putting a dog into a high-occupancy, high-turnover, high-traffic environment is a human choice. If the dog can't stay there because it's a danger in that environment, you change the environment before killing the dog.
          And yet our Commander-in-Chief refuses to do so. So it keeps biting people.

If it was still there when I moved into the WH, assuming he'll leave it behind in a senile stupor, I'd have it put down.

Comment

If it was still there when I moved into the WH, assuming he'll leave it behind in a senile stupor, I'd have it put down.
            Commander hasn't been in the White House since October last year but we're really getting to the end of any argument over animal husbandry or character when a person gets to "I'd kill the dog of a despised political opponent if it was still around when I showed up."

-Sam

Comment

Commander hasn't been in the White House since October last year but we're really getting to the end of any argument over animal husbandry or character when a person gets to "I'd kill the dog of a despised political opponent if it was still around when I showed up."
              Agreed. And is why you've made such a big deal about Noem's dog because she is a "despised political opponent."
              Last edited by Ronson; 05-05-2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Agreed. And is why you've made such a big deal about Noem's dog because she is a "despised political opponent."
                Might be worthwhile to acknowledge the false statement that Biden has kept Commander in the White House before you make insinuations about others!

I didn't start the thread. I mentioned very early on that this is not needle-moving material. I presented the case for why the story does not demonstrate the leadership qualities that Noem intentionally publicized it in hopes of demonstrating.

Noem is very much not on my radar. She's not at all likely going to be VP and I don't expect to hear much of or from her again after June. I do take issue with people who callously mistreat animals, however, especially when they portray mistreatment as a point of character or virtue.

-Sam

Comment

Might be worthwhile to acknowledge the false statement that Biden has kept Commander in the White House before you make insinuations about others!
                  Huh? Where Commander spends most of his time is (as you say) "not very much on my radar." The point being that he is a dangerous dog and was not controlled.

I didn't start the thread. I mentioned very early on that this is not needle-moving material. I presented the case for why the story does not demonstrate the leadership qualities that Noem intentionally publicized it in hopes of demonstrating.

Noem is very much not on my radar. She's not at all likely going to be VP and I don't expect to hear much of or from her again after June. I do take issue with people who callously mistreat animals, however, especially when they portray mistreatment as a point of character or virtue.
                  She was a successful two-term state Representative, a successful two-term U.S Representative, and now a successful governor. Whether or not you believe she has leadership qualities is obviously out of sync with the voters of her state.

Hence, is why I agreed with "despised political opponent" as you've pushed this thread along after Whag had faded away.

Comment

Huh? Where Commander spends most of his time is (as you say) "not very much on my radar." The point being that he is a dangerous dog and was not controlled.

She was a successful two-term state Representative, a successful two-term U.S Representative, and now a successful governor. Whether or not you believe she has leadership qualities is obviously out of sync with the voters of her state.

Hence, is why I agreed with "despised political opponent" as you've pushed this thread along after Whag had faded away.
                    You asserted that Commander still remained at the White House and that it "keeps biting people". That is false. Instead, Commander has been rehomed and no longer, to public knowledge, bites people. That's an example of how rehoming problem animals instead of shooting them is both compassionate and effective.

My argument wasn't that Noem's career showcases poor leadership qualities. Again, I am not and have not been following her actions as a public official. What matters for the purposes of this thread is whether the story she tells in her book is indeed an example of the leadership qualities she attaches to that story. Noem decided to use it as an object lesson. That people take up the offer is a problem of her own creation.

-Sam

Comment

That isn't the only dog old Joe has gotten in the past couple of years that turned into a vicious biter.

What does that say about their owner?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And some of the reports demonstrate these aren't just confused or scared nips. There were 24 reported attacks including one "biting incident involving Commander, the presidential dog, briefly shut down White House tours due to blood on the floor."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Maybe they did put Commander down. Has he been seen since being sent to "live with relatives" (read, "sent to live on a farm upstate")?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Maybe they did put Commander down. Has he been seen since being sent to "live with relatives" (read, "sent to live on a farm upstate")?
                            Are you saying they might have bought him a farm?
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Maybe they did put Commander down. Has he been seen since being sent to "live with relatives" (read, "sent to live on a farm upstate")?
                              .... "a one-way ride in the country..."
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

.... "a one-way ride in the country..."
                                Interestingly enough, the euphemism "bought the farm" refers to somebody who has died, especially in an accident or military encounter.

(H_A would insist on the more woodenly literal translation, of course)
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment