Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

London Police; You Look Jewish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

At the tea n chat meeting yesterday an old soldier was telling his memories of the Jewish terrorism that was in Palestine in the late 40s. He lost some of his comrades to terrorist murders at that time.

I do wonder about the Israeli Government today.
    The present Israeli government has groups within it that are bordering on fascist.

This is from an article in Vox from January 2023.

https://www.vox.com/world/2023/1/20/...biden-ben-gvir

The human rights defenders and experts in Israeli politics I spoke with emphasized that this government is not a departure from previous ones — indeed, it’s Netanyahu’s sixth time leading the country. Rather, it’s a culmination of Israeli politics drifting farther and farther to the right, and decades longer of policies that amount to de facto annexation of the occupied West Bank, and policies of Jewish supremacy. What’s different now, however, is how clearly these ideas are stated in the new government’s coalition guidelines and by prominent ministers about the fundamentals of how the country runs.

[...]

It was easy to foresee how the coalition would act: The new government’s ministers have made longstanding attacks on LGBTQ communities, religious freedom, Israeli and Palestinian civil society, and who can even call themselves a Jew. Above all, there will be drastic implications for Palestinians living in the occupied West Bank and for civil liberties for Israeli citizens, in large part because Netanyahu’s internal coalition negotiations have brought settlers into key ministerial posts.

“They don’t have a lot of cracks in the coalition that could potentially derail some of the things that they want to do, and they have Netanyahu over a barrel,” says Jeremy Ben Ami, the president of the pro-Israel and pro-peace advocacy group J Street. “They passed a bunch of laws already before they were even sworn in as a government. They rearranged the way in which the occupation is run.”

And recent events in the West Bank bear out their attitude. This from 18 April by Oren Ziv in +972. That he goes on to describe the events as a "pogrom" is telling. It creates a mental image of the massacres of Jews in medieval Europe following the disappearances/murders of Christian children. Or 1930s German police standing by while the SA beat up Jews and smashed Jewish premises.

https://www.972mag.com/pogroms-west-...iers-settlers/

Israeli settlers embarked on a murderous rampage across the occupied West Bank over the weekend, killing at least three Palestinians and destroying property in more than a dozen villages and towns. The immediate trigger for the attacks was the disappearance on Friday, April 12 of Binyamin Ahimeir, a 14-year-old Israeli who went out shepherding that morning from the recently “legalized” Malachei HaShalom (“Angels of Peace”) outpost. By the time Israeli authorities found Ahimeir’s body the following day and declared him a terror victim, the settlers’ rampage through the surrounding Palestinian communities was already in full swing.

According to the human rights group Yesh Din, Israeli settlers attacked 11 Palestinian villages and towns on Saturday alone. They threw stones, set fire to more than 100 vehicles, damaged scores of homes and businesses, and slaughtered hundreds of livestock. In the village of Beitin, near Ramallah, settlers shot dead 17-year-old Omar Hamed. In Al-Mughayyir, slightly further north, 25-year-old Jihad Abu Aliya was killed in circumstances that are still somewhat unclear: settlers were attacking the village at the time, but the Israeli army stated that Abu Aliya was killed by their fire. Another incident captured on a security camera shows Israeli soldiers standing guard while settlers set fire to a car in the town of Deir Dibwan, also near Ramallah.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Oh no! So you think that all supporters of Gaza children and civilians are Hamas supporters?

That's a bit twisted, isn't it?
      How many chants from the 'river to the sea' do you need to hear before you get it? And where are all the marches supporting the children and civilians of Yemen? When Muslims kill Muslims by the truck load - not a peep. But if the Jews defend themselves everyone is up in arms. Why the double standard?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Criticism the state of Israel's policies towards the Palestinians or recognising that just like non Jews, the Jewish faith and background can produce individuals who are criminal or unpleasant in other ways is not being anti-Semitic.
        Where are your criticisms of Arab/Muslim policies against the Jews and the Jewish state? Your constant haranguing of the Jewish people and state while giving the the Arabs a near complete pass is what makes you anti Semitic.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The present Israeli government has groups within it that are bordering on fascist.
          You mean Hamas and the PA are not fascist? No voting, no human rights. Again, this is why you are an anti Semite.

Why They Fight: Hamas’ Too-Little-Known Fascist Charter

As the Gaza conflict rolls on, the Western press has virtually ignored Hamas’s 1988 “Covenant,” which precisely details the terror group’s radical anti-Semitism and intellectual debt to Nazi ideology.

It’s not exactly hard to find out. Hamas published a “Covenant” of 36 articles on August 18, 1988, that details its aims and ideology precisely. Its philosophy is rooted in the totalitarianism and radical anti-Semitism that has undergirded Islamism since its rise in the 1930s and 1940s. Far from moderating its core ideology, Hamas’ seizure of power in 2007 gave it the opportunity to make policy based on its guiding goal—namely, the destruction the state of Israel.1 But even though the Covenant is the declaration of intent of a group now governing millions of people, it goes unnoticed by reporters, editors, and pundits who race to comment on Hamas’ war with Israel.

There is no reason for this ignorance. The briefest Google search brings one to an English translation of the Covenant, provided by the Avalon Project of the Yale Law School over a decade ago. Hamas has not revised or modified its Covenant in all that time. The public statements of its leaders and its continued terror offensive against Israel are clear evidence that Hamas in 2014 remains inspired by the ideas expressed in founding text. This should be every policy maker’s, and every journalist’s, first stop in their efforts to understand Hamas. And it is of utmost importance that they read the text itself, as any student of literature will tell you. There is no substitute; to understand a person one must read him in his own words, noting everything from the cadence and syntax to the allusions to key figures of his ideological tradition. The Gaza war will be incomprehensible to anyone who refuses to take Hamas at its word—these words.

https://www.the-american-interest.co...scist-charter/

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Where are your criticisms of Arab/Muslim policies against the Jews and the Jewish state? Your constant haranguing of the Jewish people and state while giving the the Arabs a near complete pass is what makes you anti Semitic.
            I am not constantly "haranguing of the Jewish people". As I have pointed out to you in the past the opinions expressed by myself and others on these boards are echoed by Jews.

Some 80,000 turned out to protest on the streets of Tel Aviv last year over Netanyahu's proposals to overhaul the Israeli judiciary. And there have been demonstrations since October 7 the latest have been demanding an election and a deal for any hostages still alive in Gaza. .

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

How many chants from the 'river to the sea' do you need to hear before you get it? And where are all the marches supporting the children and civilians of Yemen? When Muslims kill Muslims by the truck load - not a peep. But if the Jews defend themselves everyone is up in arms. Why the double standard?
              Extremist Jews make the same chant.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am not constantly "haranguing of the Jewish people". As I have pointed out to you in the past the opinions expressed by myself and others on these boards are echoed by Jews.

Some 80,000 turned out to protest on the streets of Tel Aviv last year over Netanyahu's proposals to overhaul the Israeli judiciary. And there have been demonstrations since October 7 the latest have been demanding an election and a deal for any hostages still alive in Gaza. .
                And where are your criticisms of Arab/Muslim policies and positions? The fascist aims of Hamas? The totalitarian PA?

Comment

Bull crap, show me thousands of Jews or their supporters in the streets shouting that! You again are using a moral equivalency to cover for your anti Semitism.

Comment

Bull crap, show me thousands of Jews or their supporters in the streets shouting that! You again are using a moral equivalency to cover for your anti Semitism.
                    You think that many of those West Bank settlers do not have the same idea? Why are they driving Palestinians from their homes and land? Why are they attacking Bedouins?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You think that many of those West Bank settlers do not have the same idea? Why are they driving Palestinians from their homes and land? Why are they attacking Bedouins?
                      So? You don't think the Palestinians would force the Jews out of the land if they had the power? Both sides are vying for land and position, the Jews, presently, just happen to have the upper hand. The point is, is that your anti Semitism makes you focus on the Jews while giving fascists regimes like Hamas a pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In the HR world, it' is well known that any 'apology' can be construed as an admission of guilt, so there is a strong emphasis on NOT apologizing - unless you're prepared for the backlash.
                        Yup. There can be legal consequences to saying I'm sorry.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          I've reconstructed the conversation to show that you were actually responding to Starlight (or rather to what you imaged he would say), and were not originally citing H_A at all, that's just an excuse for not having to defend what you wrote. .

My honesty is fine.

Yours clearly is not.
                          I literally reposted an image that H_A had posted to demonstrate it wasn't my imagination that the officer said that he was stopping him for being "openly Jewish."

That you insist on twisting it into something else is that honesty issue I was referring to.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course they would have been prevented. If a large march is going down a public thoroughfare an individual cannot just cut across it and through the marchers to get to the other side of that thoroughfare.
                            Did he ever express that was his intent? Did he ever say that he planned on cutting through them? Or are you mind reading?

Comment

I have taken the side of the Jews regularly over their nineteen hundred years of vilification and persecution by Christians.
                              That could mean that you hate Christians more than you do Jews.

Comment

Provide an example of "extremist Jews" chanting "from the river to the sea" as you claim.

Comment