Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

To amuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

One of my favorites was

rocky.jpg

LOTS of politics and adult content there.
    Back then most families had but one TV and tended to watch it in the evening together.

Things like the Flintstones were on at prime time so parents tended to watch it along with their kids.

So the writers back in would throw little nuggets in meant for the adults. Most weren't as crude as the one example from the Flintstones, and were also more subtle. But they were meant to be something for the "grownups" that would sail over the heads of the young'uns (long before the internet was around and certain things could be readily looked up by any snot-nosed tyke).

One that I don't have the clip from, and from the same folks who did the Flintstones, is an example of this from the Jetsons. George was helping his boss's nephew with a spot remover formula when there is a mishap causing George to get sprayed rendering him invisible. Since it would take a couple days for the effect to wear off, he did what any man would naturally do He went to spy on his wife, Jane.

To make a long story short he ends up managing to mistake a theater rehearsal for her having an affair. After everything finally gets sorted out George tells Jane that it's time he really got to benefit from being invisible and then suggests that he and Jane rehearse some “love scenes” as he turns both of them invisible. smiley dirtyflirt.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Not according to one commentator on Reddit.

Member Join Date Jan 2009 Location universe USA Posts 70 Mentioned 0 Post(s) Sorry to be late to the discussion, I just noticed this thread. Of course The Flintstones had a number of adult themes and jokes--but this isn't one of them. It was common at the time to refer to drawings as being a certain number of "heads" tall. A realistic figure would be six or seven heads tall, a cartoon figure probably four. Barney is making a joke about being short, that he's only two heads tall and adding another head would make him three heads tall.

Not the funniest joke in the world, but it would be understood in the 1960s.

**** I believe Pirate Mud mentioned this in this thread as well. I have to agree with this explination. As an artist, I have heard many times comments referring to head size, "the woman in your painting is about 5 heads tall

A "Reddit" expert.

That explanation doesn't even really make any sense. If it is meant as a unit of measure, and Barney is lacking one, then what does he mean by his remark which implies that he already has two and has no need for a third?

Another explanation offered was that it was a reference to Betty, his wife, being the boss. The "head" of the family. Hence, why would he need a third head?

But considering how often adult material got slipped into the show, Occam's Razor appears to apply.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        A "Reddit" expert.

That explanation doesn't even really make any sense. If it is meant as a unit of measure, and Barney is lacking one, then what does he mean by his remark which implies that he already has two and has no need for a third?

Another explanation offered was that it was a reference to Betty, his wife, being the boss. The "head" of the family. Hence, why would he need a third head?

But considering how often adult material got slipped into the show, Occam's Razor appears to apply.
        Can you imagine her reaction if someone posted a random reddit comment as backup for their stance?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Can you imagine her reaction if someone posted a random reddit comment as backup for their stance?
          She would mock it across multiple threads in the same way she did after I supplied a list of experts backing a point and then noted that it was so universally accepted it was even what the licensed tour guides taught tourists. She "snipped for relevance" all of the rest and chortled about my supposedly relying on what some tour guides claimed.

Comment

She would mock it across multiple threads in the same way she did after I supplied a list of experts backing a point and then noted that it was so universally accepted it was even what the licensed tour guides taught tourists. She "snipped for relevance" all of the rest and chortled about my supposedly relying on what some tour guides claimed.
            It's your own fault really. If you didn't want her to do that you should have written your post better where it couldn't be quotemined. Don't you know, you are responsible for her bad behavior. Be Better.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It's your own fault really. If you didn't want her to do that you should have written your post better where it couldn't be quotemined. Don't you know, you are responsible for her bad behavior. Be Better.
              Pretty much what Stephen Jay Gould said he was forced to do after a fairly large number of his statements were turned into quote mines.

Comment

Not according to one commentator on Reddit.

Member Join Date Jan 2009 Location universe USA Posts 70 Mentioned 0 Post(s) Sorry to be late to the discussion, I just noticed this thread. Of course The Flintstones had a number of adult themes and jokes--but this isn't one of them. It was common at the time to refer to drawings as being a certain number of "heads" tall. A realistic figure would be six or seven heads tall, a cartoon figure probably four. Barney is making a joke about being short, that he's only two heads tall and adding another head would make him three heads tall.

Not the funniest joke in the world, but it would be understood in the 1960s.

**** I believe Pirate Mud mentioned this in this thread as well. I have to agree with this explination. As an artist, I have heard many times comments referring to head size, "the woman in your painting is about 5 heads tall

LoL. that "explanation" is just idiotic.

Comment

I assume "wanker" made it through the censors because it has a non-vulgar meaning as well. It can mean someone who is a jerk. There are several such words in English. One is a word for a cat, that can also mean a woman's vagina, for example (I am not saying it because it is on the list of no-no words for tweb when referring to a woman)

Comment

An awful lot of double entendres and the like made it into family shows -- even ones explicitly aimed at children.

Please don't make me explain this rather notorious one from on the Flintstones done well over a decade prior to Mork and Mindy

Perhaps I should add that the king of double entendres in children's programing was Soupy Sales who had a wildly popular kid's show on TV back in the early 60s. Ironically, this ended up garnering him a reputations for slipping in some very vulgar barely disguised ones in -- which he never did.

Comment

A "Reddit" expert.
                      That is your inference.

Nowhere did I allege that the individual was an "expert". They do claim to be an artist and I did find this - my emphasis

https://makingcomics.com/2014/01/19/...ns-human-body/

The head oval is where most people begin their drawing, which is appropriate because the head size is a tool that we apply against the rest of the figure to make sure it is in proportion. Proportions vary from person to person, but tend to fall within a common range. For this reason, I will begin by discussing the “artistic standard.” There’s a lot to unpack in this chart so let’s get to it.

The average adult human is technically seven-and-one-half heads tall, but the artistic standard for average height is generally rounded up to eight heads. This measurement is only relevant in terms of how the size of the head relates to the size of the rest of the figure, meaning height and proportion are separate things. The average adult female is smaller than the average adult male, however you’ll notice that they are both proportionately similar. This is on account of the fact that the female head is slightly smaller.

“Heroic” proportions measure the body as nine heads tall. These types of figures are superbeings, like ancient Greek champions or comic book superheroes. Heroic figures are a full head taller than average figures and as a result, all of the body is scaled up relative to the head.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

LoL. that "explanation" is just idiotic.
                        See above.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I assume "wanker" made it through the censors because it has a non-vulgar meaning as well. It can mean someone who is a jerk. There are several such words in English. One is a word for a cat, that can also mean a woman's vagina, for example (I am not saying it because it is on the list of no-no words for tweb when referring to a woman)

It can but there is also a verb- to wank - hence the noun - a wanker i.e. Someone who wanks.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is your inference.

Nowhere did I allege that the individual was an "expert".
                            He was your top pick for a go-to source.

And I know how about proportions used in art. Too bad that has nothing whatsoever to do with the skit as the explanation doesn't even make sense in the given context.

Comment

He was your top pick for a go-to source.

And I know how about proportions used in art. Too bad that has nothing whatsoever to do with the skit as the explanation doesn't even make sense in the given context.
                              I rarely accept your claims at face value and so I did a quick search and found that discussion. Then this morning, my time, I found the site that mentions cartooning and heads and posted the relevant section.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I rarely accept your claims at face value and so I did a quick search and found that discussion. Then this morning, my time, I found the site that mentions cartooning and heads and posted the relevant section.
                                The fact remains that your go-to source, the one you picked above any others, is an anonymous reddit poster. smiley snicker.gif

So much for all of your previous whinny demands for "academic sources"

And the heads equal measurements idea just does not make sense here given the context. But do go on digging your hole deeper

Comment