Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

To amuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Such as?

And of course American English colloquialisms are not always the same as British English colloquialisms.

Furthermore colloquialisms are usually more relevant to spoken language than written.

I recall my English friends falling around crying with laughter when the character of Mr Wanker appeared in Mork and Mindy. I do not think those particular episodes were ever repeated on British television because of the colloquial use of the word Wanker.
    "wanker" means the same in American English.

Comment

Are you also claiming to be able to read minds?
      Playing the odds. Given that you are the one who keeps making absurd claims about what others write, most people would assume that you either don't know English well, or you are being dishonest. As you constantly claim to be superior to most here at understanding English, it leaves us to conclude that it must be dishonesty. Afterall, someone so well versed in English couldn't keep misconstruing and uncharitably misinterpreting what others write on accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

"wanker" means the same in American English.
        Presumably not in the late 1970s when the series Mork and Mindy was made.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Playing the odds. Given that you are the one who keeps making absurd claims about what others write, most people would assume that you either don't know English well, or you are being dishonest. As you constantly claim to be superior to most here at understanding English, it leaves us to conclude that it must be dishonesty. Afterall, someone so well versed in English couldn't keep misconstruing and uncharitably misinterpreting what others write on accident.
          I respond to what is written, however inadvertently hilarious that might be.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I respond to what is written, however inadvertently hilarious that might be.
            Yes, your misunderstandings of what is written are often hilarious.
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Presumably not in the late 1970s when the series Mork and Mindy was made.
              Yes. Even back then.

Comment

Yeah it was horrible satire. But HA has no sense of humor so it must have had her rolling on the floor.
                She has a sense of humor....She finds it absolutely hilarious to derail threads by taking any potential vagueness in a post and deliberately misinterpreting it, ignoring all context so she can claim that she can only go by what is written.

Comment

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
                  That depends on what the meaning of the word is is.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The fact remains that it is true.

What someone writes is all we have.

What they intended is known only to them, and, if they believe in it, a deity.
                    An interesting claim, coming as it does from someone who consistently imputes underlying motives to so many posts: and of course, along with the claim that a contributor is engaging in mind reading. One could be forgiven for thinking that she considers herself to be the sole legitimate possessor of such skills.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

An interesting claim, coming as it does from someone who consistently imputes underlying motives to so many posts: and of course, along with the claim that a contributor is engaging in mind reading. One could be forgiven for thinking that she considers herself to be the sole legitimate possessor of such skills.
                      I always qualify my observations with terms such as "suspect" or "suggest". I do not make emphatic statements that I know a person's thoughts.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I always qualify my observations with terms such as "suspect" or "suggest". I do not make emphatic statements that I know a person's thoughts.
                        I suspect hypatia_alexandria is a child-molesting mass murderer who loves the fact that jews get murdered, and wishes she could help.

It's all good, because I used the word "suspect" therefore I never made any hard accusations....

Comment

Yes. Even back then.
                          You are contending that in the late 1970s early 1980s the script-writers and production team of a US "family" show intentionally included a character called Mr Wanker in full knowledge that anyone over the age of thirteen, or thereabouts, watching those episodes would fully understand that the word Wanker referred to a masturbator/ someone who masturbates?

I find that difficult to accept.

Even in Britain in the 1980s where programme with more adult content, usually shown on the BBC or Channel 4, and which were often condemned by the tabloid press and individuals like Mrs Whitehouse as "filth" were broadcast after the "watershed" time slot of 9 pm and some went out slightly later at 10 or 10.30 pm.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You make imputations; they are not observations - observations would require paying due attention to the probable range of meaning for what is written.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It is in line with her claims to know what is contained in various lost works.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You are contending that in the late 1970s early 1980s the script-writers and production team of a US "family" show intentionally included a character called Mr Wanker in full knowledge that anyone over the age of thirteen, or thereabouts, watching those episodes would fully understand that the word Wanker referred to a masturbator/ someone who masturbates?

I find that difficult to accept.

Even in Britain in the 1980s where programme with more adult content, usually shown on the BBC or Channel 4, and which were often condemned by the tabloid press and individuals like Mrs Whitehouse as "filth" were broadcast after the "watershed" time slot of 9 pm and some went out slightly later at 10 or 10.30 pm.
                                It was actually Robin Williams' idea[1]. He did it as a prank knowing it would make it past the censors because it wasn't a naughty term in American English (there were several terms that were allowed in US television that would never make it in Britain).

And yes, an awful lot of Americans "got it."

FWIU, the episode was heavily censored when it aired across the pond.

Btw, a decade later, in the show Married With Children, the wife's maiden name was Wanker and she came from Wanker County. I think most folks got the joke.

1. there was a rumor that the show had to hire multilingual censors to review Williams asides on the show because he liked to slip cuss words in foreign languages to see if they made it through.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment