Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump gives speech in Poland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    .... I have a Bigfoot I can sell you for a very cheap price.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I don't much care for Donald Trump, but some of the howlers put out by the loyal opposition are about as believable as Bigfoot. I'd much rather have reasonable discourse, but there's no arguing with crazy.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" as a couple of statements at the time put it.
        hmm secular? I think not. French ideas? Not all. Since one of statements, which Starlight insists on tearing out of its context, came from the Declaration of Independence; An American document not French as Starlight seems to be implying.

The 2nd paragraph of the American Declaration of Independence states
        We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

But that is not all of what the declaration was about
        When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
        For those how are historically challenged it should also be noted that France loosely based it's revolution on the American Revolution.

You should try reading our Declaration in full.. Starlight. It is called research which any one with a valid PhD would do.

The creation of the modern West actually had a lot to do with getting the overt Christianity out of politics. The US was founded explicitly as a secular nation, with separation of church and state enshrined in its constitution, and many of its founding fathers non-Christians. The mixture of religion and politics in Europe had led to ~124 years of war in Europe following the Reformation, and the democratic revolutionaries that kick-started the modern West were keen to keep religion and politics very separate.
        From John Adams to Massachusetts Militia, 11 October 1798 about the Constitution
        Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other

Benjamin Franklin during the Constitutional Convention

All of which is to say, myself and my views are a direct heir to the West and its values. Why don't you, Mr Russian troll, take some time to learn those values?
        French values but not American values. The Secular French revolution in their denouncing of the Christian religion and its values led to the tyrannical time of terror(guillotine) where you were not allowed to voice support of the monarchy and to the Napoleonic era etc. It was not able to establish stable government or to secure liberty in France. The American Revolution lead by Christians and based on Judeo/Christian values gave us the Constitution which enumerated some of the rights Human beings had from God and to protect the American people from tyranny, led to freeing the slaves, equal rights for all men and woman Free speech etc. As well as being stable for 200+ years.

Other differences between the 2 values systems:
        • The American Revolution was fought to get Britain to leave us alone and let us chart our own course.
        • The French revolution was about who would rule in France.

Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-12-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Well origin of 'the West' as we understand it more broadly speaking, was the ancient Greeks and then the Romans. So the West was initially pre-Christian, then Christian, and is now post-Christian.
          One could even wonder if Christianity would have existed, or had the content it has, if it was not for the ancient Greeks.
          Last edited by Charles; 07-12-2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            He also talks a lot about modern threats. One of those is Islamic terrorism, but he also talk about how important ideology is in confronting threats in the wider sense. That doesn't make sense to me in any other context but the alt-right politics of his followers and particularly his chief strategist and senior advisor/script writer, not to mention the man himself.
            It doesn't make sense to you because you have already made up your mind what you want to believe he said and are trying to shoehorn that into what he actually said. When confronted with the truth, your mind rebels and you just dig in deeper. It is called cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              One could even wonder if Christianity would have existed, or had the content it has, if it was not for the ancient Greeks.
              You're about 50 years out of date. Lots of ideas which used to be labeled Greek in origin have since been found to have Jewish antecedents. Alexander's conquests did provide a useful lingua franca which greatly assisted the spread of Christianity.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well origin of 'the West' as we understand it more broadly speaking, was the ancient Greeks and then the Romans. So West started when Rome became Christian, before that states of Greece and Rome are not part of 'the West'
                Fixed!!!

Not anymore. Most of West is post-Western, and will go into new phase soon because of '''''''refugee''''''' invasion
                Fixed!!!!
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment