Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DOJ’s Uvalde report finds systemic failures in school shooting response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOJ’s Uvalde report finds systemic failures in school shooting response

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say!!!

A lack of preparation, communication and initiative led Texas law enforcement officers to bungle their response to a brutal 2022 school shooting, a new investigation from the Justice Department has found.

The investigation was launched in 2022 to answer a question that haunted the people of Uvalde, Texas — and the nation as a whole — long before the bodies had cooled or the blood had been cleaned from the walls and floors of Robb Elementary School.

That question, which the Justice Department has spent more than two years confronting, is easily expressed but viciously contentious: What took so long? Why did nearly 400 members of the Uvalde Police Department spend 77 minutes standing around outside the school while a gunman stalked the halls, killing 19 children and two teachers?

The answer, the DOJ told reporters on Thursday: A lack of “urgency” in setting up a command post outside the school, and a comprehensive failure to identify the situation.

That led to a series of “cascading failures” and unnecessary deaths within the school while hundreds of police officers waited outside — acting decisively only to arrest anguished parents who tried to enter the school themselves.

Attorney General Merrick Garland was in Uvalde for the unveiling of the DOJ report.

In a statement, Garland called out the “failure” of the local police response at Robb Elementary, saying it was a matter of failed “leadership, training, and policies.”

Due to these errors, Garland added, “33 students and three of their teachers — many of whom had been shot — were trapped in a room with an active shooter for over an hour as law enforcement officials remained outside.”

Reminder - Columbine is the pivot point.
    • PRIOR to Columbine, police responding to a school shooting were to await backup, then enter the building in a 3 or 4 man diamond formation, working toward the threat, but assisting wounded students or staff on the way in.
    • AFTER Columbine, the doctrine totally changed - ANY officer was expected to make immediate entry, NOT awaiting backup, bypassing any wounded persons, and neutralizing the threat as quickly as possible.
    The response of the authorities at Uvalde was even WORSE than Columbine.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Who knows how many lives were lost as a result? The cops wasted precious time while victims were bleeding to death!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A lack of preparation, communication and initiative led Texas law enforcement officers to bungle their response to a brutal 2022 school shooting, a new investigation from the Justice Department has found.

The investigation was launched in 2022 to answer a question that haunted the people of Uvalde, Texas — and the nation as a whole — long before the bodies had cooled or the blood had been cleaned from the walls and floors of Robb Elementary School.

That question, which the Justice Department has spent more than two years confronting, is easily expressed but viciously contentious: What took so long? Why did nearly 400 members of the Uvalde Police Department spend 77 minutes standing around outside the school while a gunman stalked the halls, killing 19 children and two teachers?

The answer, the DOJ told reporters on Thursday: A lack of “urgency” in setting up a command post outside the school, and a comprehensive failure to identify the situation.

That led to a series of “cascading failures” and unnecessary deaths within the school while hundreds of police officers waited outside — acting decisively only to arrest anguished parents who tried to enter the school themselves.

Attorney General Merrick Garland was in Uvalde for the unveiling of the DOJ report.

In a statement, Garland called out the “failure” of the local police response at Robb Elementary, saying it was a matter of failed “leadership, training, and policies.”

Due to these errors, Garland added, “33 students and three of their teachers — many of whom had been shot — were trapped in a room with an active shooter for over an hour as law enforcement officials remained outside.”

• PRIOR to Columbine, police responding to a school shooting were to await backup, then enter the building in a 3 or 4 man diamond formation, working toward the threat, but assisting wounded students or staff on the way in.
      • AFTER Columbine, the doctrine totally changed - ANY officer was expected to make immediate entry, NOT awaiting backup, bypassing any wounded persons, and neutralizing the threat as quickly as possible.
      Is there anyone anywhere who didn't already understand that they screwed up royally?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So what are they doing about this systemic failure? At the very least the parents should be suing the pants off of the city government.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Is there anyone anywhere who didn't already understand that they screwed up royally?
          At first, yes - after all this time, I don't know of anybody.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I remember in the days immediately after, there was a lot of talk about the response being a colossal failure. I guess this just gives further confirmation. Now, unfortunately, we have to wait for the next one to see if police departments across the country learned anything.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Yikes

I think, at this point, any Education District that doesn't have Armed Security at their Schools should be held liable for any shootings that happen.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

And can someone take notice when some creep starts showing red flags that they're planning to murder a bunch of people? Isn't there some counter terrorism 18 point checklist?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    And can someone take notice when some creep starts showing red flags that they're planning to murder a bunch of people? Isn't there some counter terrorism 18 point checklist?
                    Schools (at least in Texas) are VERY reluctant to list the problems they have because they are so dependent on ADA (Average Daily Attendance - or "butts in seats). Parents will withdraw their children from the schools if they believe the schools are unsafe, so the school has to mask the discipline issues.

Comment

Schools (at least in Texas) are VERY reluctant to list the problems they have because they are so dependent on ADA (Average Daily Attendance - or "butts in seats). Parents will withdraw their children from the schools if they believe the schools are unsafe, so the school has to mask the discipline issues.
                      Back when I was in skewl we had a vice principal who frankly told everyone that he didn't care if you learned, he just wanted you to attend because their allotted budget was based upon attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Back when I was in skewl we had a vice principal who frankly told everyone that he didn't care if you learned, he just wanted you to attend because their allotted budget was based upon attendance.
                        And my point to the Acting Superintendent, with which he fully agrees, is - let's give the parents reasons to WANT to keep their kids in school, rather than flee to neighboring ISDs, which many are doing.

Comment

The controversial chief of police, Daniel Rodriguez, has announced that he will be resigning effective April 6.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Comment