Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White Fragility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The source is a Japanese guy who routinely does "man on the street" interviews in Japan. He's not a fat purple haired slab of mystery meat from California so I can see how his opinion and the opinions of the Japanese people from Japan that he interviews might be suspicious, unlike your own pristine views.
    I suspect, had anyone commented outside what he wished to share, it would've been cut from the clip.

America is a free country, there is nothing that stopped Asians from making movies if they don't like the way the overwhelmingly Jewish-run Hollywood casts people (this is important to mention because it's a complaint that is identical to that of white supremacists).

I would further argue that Asian-Americans have no special status when it comes to telling the Japanese or the people to whom they lease their IP who to cast, especially since they're more than happy with it themselves. Having ancestors from the same continent doesn't suddenly give you special privileges over all things Asian.
    It doesn't sound like you've listened to the arguments at all, no matter how much you may protest otherwise.

No, we have listened and understand the issues.
    No you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      no need for her to know them. They use such jargon to try to make the other person feel stupid and themselves as scholarly and smart, trying to wow them into submission. Same principle used on Star Trek to make Spock and Scotty sound smart.

"Captain, excess gravitons are causing a chrono-deflection field in the matter-anti-matter reactors. If we don't flush the dilithium buffers our warp coil will collapse into a singularity"
      Then again, my pappy taught me to never use words I don't know the meaning of.
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

no need for her to know them. They use such jargon to try to make the other person feel stupid and themselves as scholarly and smart, trying to wow them into submission. Same principle used on Star Trek to make Spock and Scotty sound smart.

"Captain, excess gravitons are causing a chrono-deflection field in the matter-anti-matter reactors. If we don't flush the dilithium buffers our warp coil will collapse into a singularity"
        I love "The Next Generation", but it does kinda annoy me how much of its drama is based around literal nonsense.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
          I suspect, had anyone commented outside what he wished to share, it would've been cut from the clip.

It doesn't sound like you've listened to the arguments at all, no matter how much you may protest otherwise.

No you didn't.
          You're the exact sort of person this essay was designed to appeal to. Any attempt to argue against it is seen as validation of the premise making the argument literally unfalsifiable, and a literally unfalsifiable argument is logically invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            You're the exact sort of person this essay was designed to appeal to. Any attempt to argue against it is seen as validation of the premise making the argument literally unfalsifiable, and a literally unfalsifiable argument is logically invalid.
            MM, I dare you or DE to summarize the arguments, as you understand them, for why so many people have an issue with white washing. Without a google search or reference to your favorite clickbait. I dare you to accurately represent the arguments you think are so poor.

It's not like you've offered much specifics. Or have talked about Grace Park's statements that asian actors are more in demand and get higher pay because of that.

Comment

MM, I dare you or DE to summarize the arguments, as you understand them, for why so many people have an issue with white washing. Without a google search or reference to your favorite clickbait. I dare you to accurately represent the arguments you think are so poor.

It's not like you've offered much specifics. Or have talked about Grace Park's statements that asian actors are more in demand and get higher pay because of that.
              If I were you I would triple dog dare them!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm tempted to say the same thing to you about the arguments of conservatives, who you apparently despise so much.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

So then you would be against, say, a black man playing a traditionally white role then? Or what about a chinese person playing a japanese role? or a korean playing a chinese role? Or how about Mexicans playing American Indians in films?

Or even worse what about Lou Diamond Philips who routinely plays Hispanic characters or American Indian characters in movies and TV shows (like Longmire) when he is actually Filipino?

Comment

Not to mention some Jewish guy playing an Alien!

_81300586_81300585.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      If I were you I would triple dog dare them!
                      They could NEVER resist a triple dog dare!

Comment

So then you would be against, say, a black man playing a traditionally white role then? Or what about a chinese person playing a japanese role? or a korean playing a chinese role? Or how about Mexicans playing American Indians in films?

Or even worse what about Lou Diamond Philips who routinely plays Hispanic characters or American Indian characters in movies and TV shows (like Longmire) when he is actually Filipino?
                        Sparko, if you actually understood what any Asian, Pacific Islander, Black person, in or near the entertainment industry was articulating when talking about white washing, you wouldn't be asking these inane questions.

Comment

Sparko, if you actually understood what any Asian, Pacific Islander, Black person, in or near the entertainment industry was articulating when talking about white washing, you wouldn't be asking these inane questions.

go ahead, explain it to me. And explain why it isn't just as wrong for a Filipino to steal a role away from an American Indian.

Comment

go ahead, explain it to me. And explain why it isn't just as wrong for a Filipino to steal a role away from an American Indian.
                            Can you please first explain why your evident lack of curiosity and probable intransigency on this subject is my burden?

Comment

Can you please first explain why your evident lack of curiosity and probable intransigency on this subject is my burden?
                              uh oh. he is starting to use jargon here. watch out folks.

Stop deflecting. Explain. You accused me of not understanding. So explain so I can understand. Simple request. eh?

This is my thread. If you don't want to discuss it, or explain your comment, then go away. Your whole "white wash" nonsense is off topic anyway.

Comment

I don't give a crap about any of that. What I'm challenging is the false premise that a failure to validate your position or any attempt to argue against it is a product of "white fragility".

Comment