Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Our favorite little warmonger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Generally not worth the hassle. Usually you can find a non-paywall version to refer to in a post to make it easier for everyone.
    For some reason it didn't block me and I'm not subscribed. I guess they have an allotted amount of allowed clicks until they drop the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

For some reason it didn't block me and I'm not subscribed. I guess they have an allotted amount of allowed clicks until they drop the wall?
      Probably. I generally avoid WP articles though.

Comment

Probably. I generally avoid WP articles though.
        I usually cite them when applicable only so that the leftists in here can't whine about my source.

Comment

That's generally what I found - cookies --- some will even tell you, "you have visited our site 5 times, now - how 'bout subscribing...."
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's generally what I found - cookies --- some will even tell you, "you have visited our site 5 times, now - how 'bout subscribing...."
            Incognito in Chrome can avoid some of them. Going to Google, Yahoo, or MSN news often gives you a copy from the original source so there's no paywall. And, of course, there's https://archive.li/

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Incognito in Chrome can avoid some of them. Going to Google, Yahoo, or MSN news often gives you a copy from the original source so there's no paywall. And, of course, there's https://archive.li/
              You can also stop the paywall from loading by hitting the ESC button as the page is loading, but you're timing has to be right. I find it works best on Chrome.

Of course, there's the theological issue of whether or not this is actually stealing.

Comment

You can also stop the paywall from loading by hitting the ESC button as the page is loading, but you're timing has to be right. I find it works best on Chrome.

Of course, there's the theological issue of whether or not this is actually stealing.
                With many if you do it too quickly and you get sent to the site's home page.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They can always embed advertisements within the articles if they want to be paid for them. Because there is no way I am ever going to subscribe to NYT or WaPo.

Comment

The thing is that the SCOTUS ruled in a couple of cases back in the 60s or thereabouts that anonymous speech is protected speech and I
                    guess she forgot how often folks like Benjamin Franklin wrote under a pseudonym or that the the Federalist Papers where written by
                    Madison, Hamilton and Jay using the collective pseudonym "Publius"

Comment

This is what happens when a campaigning politician wants to sound relevant and "solve" an issue that they don't understand at all.

Comment

This is what happens when a campaigning politician wants to sound relevant and "solve" an issue that they don't understand at all.
                        I still believe someone fed her that idea, because she managed to try and appease both the political right (or at least the older Fox News crowd right) and the left, and even the younger Elon Musk crowd. I don't believe she's that clever.

Comment

I still believe someone fed her that idea, because she managed to try and appease both the political right (or at least the older Fox News crowd right) and the left, and even the younger Elon Musk crowd. I don't believe she's that clever.
                          Could be. I am sure she has campaign advisors that feed her "issues" to comment on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But she's pretty, so she gets a pass.
                            You're thinking of Kristi Noem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

You're thinking of Kristi Noem.
                              I believe you just may be correctomundo!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, isn't this interesting. I knew China was a bastion of internet censorship and control, but I had no idea they demanded something that was also demanded by miss warmonger within just a couple of weeks of each other...

Source: Has China Killed Online Anonymity?

China's social media platforms have asked anonymous influencer accounts with more than 500,000 followers to display their real names.

The move on November 1 to remove anonymity was simultaneously announced by the microblogging platform Weibo and ubiquitous messaging platform WeChat. Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, and video-sharing website Bilibili were among others to introduce the regulation.

Social networking apps operating within China's highly regulated online environment were already subject to frequent—and at times arbitrary—censorship by the country's cyber monitors. A tendency to self-censor also meant posts and discussions remained within the Chinese government's acceptable narrative frameworks.

The latest move will affect so-called "Big V" (verified) users, many of whom have run into trouble with Beijing's authorities.

In 2016, the social media account run by former real estate tycoon Ren Zhiqiang was shut down after he criticized Chinese leader Xi Jinping. Ren was eventually sentenced to 18 years in jail in 2020 on bribery charges.

This month's move to remove anonymity has raised concerns among users with less than half a million followers, some of whom fear they could be targeted next. Weibo CEO Wang Gaofei tried to address the concerns by assuring users that the policy would not be expanded to those below the 500,000-follower count.

Last year, however, Weibo began displaying IP locations on individual user profiles to discourage "bad behavior."

The latest move has significant implications as authorities continue to tighten control and censor public opinion that doesn't conform to the government's political line. Beijing has grown increasingly concerned about the sway of individuals with large followings on social media.

The announcement has also started a debate among Chinese social media users over potential doxxing, publicly identifying an individual or organization, usually via the Internet. The unwanted public release of information such as home addresses and phone numbers could become possible if anonymous influencers are forced to display their real names.

But the joint-decision by multiple outlets, who risk angering sections of the Chinese public, suggests pressure from authorities was growing.

© Copyright Original Source

Like two peas in a pod.

Comment