Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Our favorite little warmonger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

No doubt. Especially the influence FB, X, and Insta have on the general populace. But again, the cyber guy in me is chuckling at this entire exchange. So many different angles of "that's not how it works", "It's illegal to do that", "It violates the necessity of anonymity for the intelligence community", and a host of others...
    I don't see how name verification would hinder intelligence operatives online disseminating their fake news if that's what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I don't see how name verification would hinder intelligence operatives online disseminating their fake news if that's what you meant.
      I mean if I had to post my real name on FB or X, I'd be a clear and easy target for the US' adversaries, as would my family.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I mean if I had to post my real name on FB or X, I'd be a clear and easy target for the US' adversaries, as would my family.
        I would imagine government officials would just get special privileges of anonymity under some sort of national security spiel.

Comment

Well, that didn't take long...

Haley walks back declaration that all social media users must be verified

Maybe the establishment can find something to salvage after all.

Btw, that whole "Russia/China bot" (now the new member is of course Iran) garbage all stems from the Russian collusion hoax of 2017. The neocons just kind of modified it in a way that fits into a warmongering agenda they can work with in our current situation.

Comment

Btw, that whole "Russia/China bot" (now the new member is of course Iran) garbage all stems from the Russian collusion hoax of 2017.
            No, it doesn’t. It started before that. It’s common knowledge that many countries, not just Russia and China (though they were huge), paid citizens to create fake accounts to post fake news outlet articles as a wedge device to amplify culture war divides in the U.S. It’s actually a logical strategy because of it’s cheaper than a hot war and has a destabilizing effect.

There’s no denying this took place before 2017 and currently takes place today, facilitated by the empty heads who consume social media. I was even one of those who did such things between 2010 and 2014.

The neocons just kind of modified it in a way that fits into a warmongering agenda they can work with in our current situation.
            That’s probably true, but it discounts the selectively isolationist MAGA set who routinely share fake news in the intended manner. They are both part of the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I saw that. Interesting from someone that doesn't even use her full real name online, Nimarata Nikki Randhawa......
              That was her birth name. It isn't exactly rare for a woman to assume her husband's last name after getting married.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I forgot to add that you don't need foreign bots when US Intelligence agents also spread fake news.
                Or work to suppress real news in order to assist a political party.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

No, it doesn’t. It started before that. It’s common knowledge that many countries, not just Russia and China (though they were huge), paid citizens to create fake accounts to post fake news outlet articles as a wedge device to amplify culture war divides in the U.S. It’s actually a logical strategy because of it’s cheaper than a hot war and has a destabilizing effect.

There’s no denying this took place before 2017 and currently takes place today, facilitated by the empty heads who consume social media. I was even one of those who did such things between 2010 and 2014.
                  I don't deny governments are using the internet to spread false information. That would be a big fat DUH. Foreign governments do it, and I'm sure our government does it to their own citizens and to each other. My point was that it was underscored and used as a political weapon in 2017, and has been used ever since to justify monitoring speech online. The warmongering neocons are on now board because it helps promote a war agenda, which is why Iran has now become the new member of disinfo on Haley's war wish list.

That’s probably true, but it discounts the selectively isolationist MAGA set who routinely share fake news in the intended manner. They are both part of the same problem.
                  I'm more concerned about government fake news, like the Hunter laptop lie and the Russia collusion lie, than I am the MAGA crowd. The former has much broader and sweeping repercussions for this country. I'm also more concerned about the lies on the left, like the ones that caused riots all around the country.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    That was her birth name. It isn't exactly rare for a woman to assume her husband's last name after getting married.
                    Her legal name simply added "Haley" on the end upon marriage to said husband. Didn't change the rest.

Comment

Not everyone who is online is on social media is the point:

Sean: She's wants everyone to be verified to go online [sic].

What he meant:

She wants everyone to go online and be verified.

To "go online" is colloquial for accessing social media as a reference to "Online" status. You're grasping at straws.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Her legal name simply added "Haley" on the end upon marriage to said husband. Didn't change the rest.
                        Most women don't hyphenate their last name when they marry. They assume their husband's last name as their legal last name.

Why am I having to explain this to you?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Most women don't hyphenate their last name when they marry. They assume their husband's last name as their legal last name.

Why am I having to explain this to you?
                          She did assume her husband's last name.... by tacking it on to the end of her full name. Why am I having to explain this to you?

Nimarata Nikki Randhawa Haley is her legal full name post marriage. On social media she cuts out the parts that sound "Indian"
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 11-16-2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

She did assume her husband's last name.... by tacking it on to the end of her full name. Why am I having to explain this to you?

Nimarata Nikki Randhawa Haley is her legal full name post marriage. On social media she cuts out the parts that sound "Indian"
                            And?

Comment

I can't find anything backing that up. In fact the closest thing that I can find are charges that she doesn't use her first name, supposedly "white-washing" it from Nimarata to Nikki, in order to boost her political career. But Nikki is her legal middle name and she has been using that since at least her school days.

ETA: Found a piece explaining both the controversy about "Nikki" and brings up her last name as well

Nikki Haley didn't 'white-wash' her name. It's Punjabi
                              So even Nikki is Indian.

Haley adopted husband's last name

Haley's last name has also been controversial. But the explanation for the change is far from unusual.

She got married.

Haley adopted her husband's last name, Michael Haley, when they wed in 1996, becoming Nikki Haley at age 26 -- 6 years before she entered the political arena.

While more women have chosen to keep their maiden names once they marry, around 70% of women choose to adopt their husband's name, a study by The New York Times found in 2015.

Last edited by rogue06; 11-16-2023, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Everyone on social media would have an account. Social media use requires one have an account before they can post and browse, therefore she’s proposing that ONLY THOSE PEOPLE verify their identities. Why? To eliminate fakes.

This literally makes no sense:

She's wants everyone to be verified to go online.

That’s phrased backwards and even phrased in your intended order STILL isn’t what she’s saying. She’s not even saying everyone online should be verified, which is what you meant to say. See just wants everyone on social media—IOW, social media account holders—to verify their identity. Obviously, bots wouldn’t be able to do that, so their accounts would be closed.

You brought war into it, which makes no sense in the context of what she proposed.
                                Except she said, "when everyone has to stand by their own name...." so it is not only being verified in the backend, but having to USE YOUR REAL NAME on your posts. So on Tweb you would have to not only verify your ID somehow with us, but stop using Whag as your handle and use your real name.

She is like most politicians, they really don't understand how computers and social media works in the first place. She is thinking "social media" is just Facebook and Twitter, the big companies. Twitter already has a verified system if you want to pay for it. Facebook already requires you to use your real name in their terms and conditions, but they don't actually verify it, or even check.

Other sites like Tweb might not WANT to know who you are, to protect your anonymity, to allow you to speak freely. In the past we have had lawsuit threats over some of our users, and it is nice not to know who you guys are. That way we can't be forced to reveal your personal information in case of a subpoena. Anonymity is a two edged sword: It can be used to allow you to speak freely online without fear of repercussions in your real life, but it can also allow people to act like jerks, or even allow fake accounts. Moderation usually handles those problems. You act too much like a jerk and you can be banned. Or if we find a fake account it can be banned also.

Comment