Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Religious People Are Less Intelligent, But We Win Anyway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Are you saying that generations of teaching our kids that long hair on men is 'bad' has somehow left them ill equipped for the real world?
    When exactly did you decide to not love Jesus anymore?

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."
      DANG IT MM why did you post something I agree with you on!

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        DANG IT MM why did you post something I agree with you on!

You'd agree way more with MM if you wouldn't be so intent on being wrong* all the time.

--------------------------
        * I don't actually know which one of you tend to be more right/wrong on the issues you've discussed with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Religious folk may be having more children, but the children are being educated in secularist classrooms here, and aren't being equipped to deal with other POVs in church. A large percentage of children leave the faith of their parents during college, many times permanently. As long as THAT happens, atheism will continue to spread.
          One of my friends from a charismatic church I came from before I moved to Aarhus, went from being a person who read the bible and prayed everyday, to being a secular atheist in the short matter of two years. Surviving college as a Christian is difficult, and I've yet to figure out why. None of the professors at my campus showed any explicit hostility towards religion, except perhaps a passing remark from one professor I had in a solid state chemistry course. I personally have a hunch that ethnocentrism, and living within a close knitted family you never leave, has a lot more to say in making people keep their zeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            One of my friends from a charismatic church I came from before I moved to Aarhus, went from being a person who read the bible and prayed everyday, to being a secular atheist in the short matter of two years. Surviving college as a Christian is difficult, and I've yet to figure out why. None of the professors at my campus showed any explicit hostility towards religion, except perhaps a passing remark from one professor I had in a solid state chemistry course. I personally have a hunch that ethnocentrism, and living within a close knitted family you never leave, has a lot more to say in making people keep their zeal.
            I suspect for many it isn't a change of faith as much as a change in culture.
            For some Christianity is just a cultural norm as easy to change out as the booze you drink based on geographical location.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Probably listens to the devil's music (I've seen him mention that wretched "heavy metal") and drinks the devil's brew (beer, of course), too.
              Rum is the devil's brew. I prefer the original mountain dew.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."
                Many fools have also said in their hearts that there is a God and done tremendeous harm to others in the name of their so called god.

Sometimes there is a tendency to want to draw the line between religious people on one side and non-religious or atheists on the other. That is superficial. The line should be drawn between those who reflect on these matters and those who don't. Among those we find quite many who changed their view along the way.

I've got no interest in people sharing my view and going public claiming that my opinion is right if they do not have any foundation for claiming it is right. I'd rather listen to one with whom I disagree if they have reflected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Eternal Life.
                  Even if you are right that will always be impossible to prove since there is no point in which it can be determined that the life was eternal. Just a bad joke on my side...

Comment

I guess the people who did that study didn't meet the atheists on the internet.
                    Or, else, if they did, and if they then were of the opinion that the atheists on the internet were less intelligent, then, perhaps those people behind the study were too smart to assume that all atheists behaved the same way.

No smart person assumes that if they have met one person, or a group of persons belonging to a specific ideology then everyone else who belongs to this group all over the world would be like them. I can easily find religious people, among them quite many Christians, with whom I suppose you would not like to associated.

Comment

The study must be true. JimL is the exception that proves the rule!
                      Thanks Sparko. I don't really consider myself to be exeptional though. Perhaps some day you too will be able to rise above your own dumb instincts!

Comment

deh. Nonbelievers have always outnumbered believers: it's just that these days, the nonbelievers don't go to church so often.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Thanks Sparko. I don't really consider myself to be exeptional though. Perhaps some day you too will be able to rise above your own dumb instincts!
                          The last IQ test I took rated me at 135.

Comment

Ha, the IQ scale doesn't even go that high!
                            Oh wait, I'm thinking of my credit score.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Ha, I was 139
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So what happened to you?

Comment