Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brazil: More Guns, Less Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Cool.

I'd rather prevent them than try to pay for them after the fact.
    Well of course....... But if I should make mention of training courses, examinations, qualifications and licensing I would get hounded somewhat.

I was never any good at pistol competition and it bored me horribly, but I did try, and joined the local pistol and rifle club for that purpose circa 1980. We had to attend a three month course on pistols, loads and general/range safety and take a test before we could use the club's own pistols. And only then were we covered under the club's blanket insurance. I was bored to death with pistol competition and so never did apply for a licence, but I did have a Sabata (spelling) revolver rifle which used compressed air cartridges and was classed as an air rifle......... I gave it up when gas-cartridge guns had to be licensed circa 2000 because villains were adapting them to shoot bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Well of course....... But if I should make mention of training courses, examinations, qualifications and licensing I would get hounded somewhat.

I was never any good at pistol competition and it bored me horribly, but I did try, and joined the local pistol and rifle club for that purpose circa 1980. We had to attend a three month course on pistols, loads and general/range safety and take a test before we could use the club's own pistols. And only then were we covered under the club's blanket insurance. I was bored to death with pistol competition and so never did apply for a licence, but I did have a Sabata (spelling) revolver rifle which used compressed air cartridges and was classed as an air rifle......... I gave it up when gas-cartridge guns had to be licensed circa 2000 because villains were adapting them to shoot bullets.
      It is the ingenuity that folks exhibit that makes efforts to restrict firearms pointless. I've seen a shotgun made of two pieces of pipe that work like a slide trombone (you slide the smaller pipe holding the shotgun shell down the larger pipe which has a nail in the bottom that acts as the firing pin) and even an old-fashioned stapler like the one below with a barrel welded/soldered to it

And now, with the advent of 3-D printing technology, you can press a button and make a firearm.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When speaking of school shootings - I want ANYBODY who is in a defensive role to be very well trained, examined, qualified.....

Eider -- I'm not sure if you're just being purposely obstinate for argument's sake - or if you're really ignorant (I don't mean stupid) of how things really work here.

The boredom relates to interest or purpose -- as a police officer (many years ago) I was fully aware that my marksmanship could literally save my life, so there was zero boredom at the shooting range.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

....But please do support gun liability insurance for all.
          I'll leave that to the politicians, as I see no real value in it other than an "after the fact" factor.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It is the ingenuity that folks exhibit that makes efforts to restrict firearms pointless. I've seen a shotgun made of two pieces of pipe that work like a slide trombone (you slide the smaller pipe holding the shotgun shell down the larger pipe which has a nail in the bottom that acts as the firing pin) and even an old-fashioned stapler like the one below with a barrel welded/soldered to it

And now, with the advent of 3-D printing technology, you can press a button and make a firearm.
            The double-tube shotgun is a brilliant construct. Luv it.
            I knew a very old wildfowler in the 50s who had made his own black-powder fowling gun, he had an 8 or 9 foot scaffold pole with damascened breach end (with wire), and had cut/fitted a percussion nipple for a firing cap. He touched it off with an ordinary hammer. But his shoulder gun was purchased (!) or given to him by a gentleman fowler, which he called his 'cripple-stopper'.
            They had a way with politically-correct words, those old boys!
            Anything of great rarity was shot dead on sight because bird artists and taxidermists paid well for such specimens.

I didn't see many unusual birds in my early years.

Comment