Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tour dive ends in tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour dive ends in tragedy

The reports of the "catastrophic implosion" of the OceanGate Expeditions sub Titan that has killed five people is a terrible human tragedy. No one would deny that.

However, why is there this impulse to go on tour divesunsinkable", it did not carry enough life-boats [not the only ship at the time not to do so], and no life-boat drill was carried out once at sea.

However, this wreck is a mass grave not a tourist destination. There are numerous photographs taken of the wreck so why the desire to dive to see it?

I find the morbid curiosity to visit this site somewhat unhealthy and now there are five more bodies to join the fifteen hundred or so that went down with the ship in 1912.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Morbid Curiosity.

I deal with it often as EMS Chaplain. When there is a bad wreck and we (first responders) are working to extract a body from the crushed vehicle, traffic will slow down so every can get a good look.

We actually have "curtains" that we will hold up blocking the view from the street so the victim (dead or alive) can have a little privacy during and after the extraction.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Morbid Curiosity.

I deal with it often as EMS Chaplain. When there is a bad wreck and we (first responders) are working to extract a body from the crushed vehicle, traffic will slow down so every can get a good look.

We actually have "curtains" that we will hold up blocking the view from the street so the victim (dead or alive) can have a little privacy during and after the extraction.
      I agree on the rubber necking behaviour of some people driving past an accident. It is a particularly unattractive human trait.

You may have heard of the Staines air disaster in 1972 when a plane crashed moments after take-off at Heathrow. And this:

All that was long before the smartphone was around to film and then upload such tragedies. as this individual did in a recent incident - again in the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/nicola-bu...amily-12821916

A TikToker who filmed police as they pulled Nicola Bulley's body from the river claims he has made a donation to her family "out of respect".

Amateur sleuth Curtis Arnold, 34, had his identity unmasked by The Sun after the newspaper traced him to his barber's shop in Worcestershire.

He was among hordes of armchair detectives who turned up at the River Wyre where Nicola Bulley went missing on 27 January.

The mother-of-two's body was found in the river on 19 February, more than three weeks after she went missing.

Mr Arnold shared footage of police officers by the river lifting what appeared to be a body bag on his social media channels, in a video that has now been deleted.

He said on Sunday that "in hindsight, perhaps it was a little bit sensitive, perhaps it was bad timing to put that video online.

"I perhaps didn't take into account the family at that time, I admit that."

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        The reports of the "catastrophic implosion" of the OceanGate Expeditions sub Titan that has killed five people is a terrible human tragedy. No one would deny that.
        At least it was quick, I kept thinking how horrible it would have been to die a slow death in that coffin...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Morbid Curiosity.

The ten years when I was a firefighter I was the one doing the extractions (either alive or dead) on my shift. Saw some terrible things...We never had curtains though, just tried to reroute traffic...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

At least it was quick, I kept thinking how horrible it would have been to die a slow death in that coffin...
            Well yes, it would have been instantaneous.

However, I have only just learned that even if the sub had got back to the surface it could only be opened from the outside, so they could have suffocated while awaiting detection from surface vessels.

Such is the stuff of nightmares.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

However, this wreck is a mass grave not a tourist destination. There are numerous photographs taken of the wreck so why the desire to dive to see it?
              Being one of the few to actually see such an iconic ship due to the the wreck's location (mass grave or not) or just seeing it "in person" at all. Humans are a curious lot.

I don't find anything wrong per se with Titanic tourism given the fact it's over 100 years old. It's not like watching a rescue attempt or watching a body being recovered. If people want to waste their money or risk their lives, that's up to them.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Being one of the few to actually see such an iconic ship due to the the wreck's location (mass grave or not) or just seeing it "in person" at all. Humans are a curious lot.

I don't find anything wrong per se with Titanic tourism given the fact it's over 100 years old. It's not like watching a rescue attempt or watching a body being recovered. If people want to waste their money or risk their lives, that's up to them.
                Not to mention that some graveyards are tourist attractions

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I wouldn't compare Arlington tourism to Titanic tourism. Of course, evil capitalist dogs charge admission to certain graves.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

An interesting point. I suppose one could make the same observation about Auschwitz complete with its hot-dog stall and gift shop.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

An interesting point. I suppose one could make the same observation about Auschwitz complete with its hot-dog stall and gift shop.
                      The Titanic and Auschwitz aren't that comparable but I have no issue with Auschwitz tourism. Germans aren't well known for humour as smoked all beef keilbasa would be dastardly funny. Besides, tourists get hungry and the funds can go to site preservation.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Well yes, it would have been instantaneous.

However, I have only just learned that even if the sub had got back to the surface it could only be opened from the outside, so they could have suffocated while awaiting detection from surface vessels.

Such is the stuff of nightmares.
                        The thing is the Navy recorded the implosion when it happened, with some secret device. I think they knew all along.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I was thinking New Orleans' graveyards as well. And Boston which has a number of historic people in graveyards.

Me, I'm just fine sitting on the surface and seeing the high definition video of the Titanic we have instead of getting sealed in a tin can to go see it with probably less clarity than the videos

Comment

Apologizing in advance

The Titanic and Auschwitz aren't that comparable but I have no issue with Auschwitz tourism. Germans aren't well known for humour as smoked all beef keilbasa would be dastardly funny. Besides, tourists get hungry and the funds can go to site preservation.
                            Kosher?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wouldn't compare Arlington tourism to Titanic tourism. Of course, evil capitalist dogs charge admission to certain graves.
                              The point was that being a graveyard doesn't make it off-limits to tourists.

Comment