Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tour dive ends in tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I am not entirely sure what your point might be.

Archaeological digs get funded by various different methods, including those you have cited as well as through government and also business where a company wants to develop a site; the HS2 rail network in UK being a case in point.

Not all do. Many are stored in archives for further research; and sites regularly get covered up;

https://theconversation.com/why-arch...vations-208616
    Parts of every excavation – for example soil deposited within the bathhouse interior, a Roman floor or contents of a storage pit – are effectively being destroyed when archaeologists dig through them. Once something has been dug out, it cannot be excavated again.

For this reason, archaeologists must meticulously record the excavation, publish its results and preserve what’s been dug out and what remains in place – or as archaeologists say, using a Latin phrase, what remains “in situ”.

Because of the destructive nature of excavations, archaeologists rarely excavate whole buildings or sites. Instead, a careful excavation strategy is made to target the areas that are likely to yield the most useful information.

At Birdoswald, several areas outside the fort were targeted for excavation, including the bathhouse and the main road leading out of the fort. It’s common practice to only dig out half of the features because a sample of recovered material is generally enough to get an idea of the function of what’s being excavated. Also, much of the physical labour of fieldwork is manual, and so takes a lot of time.

Unless a site is threatened with destruction, for example, due to development work or erosion, the dig team leave sites with much of the archaeology pretty much intact. This allows future archaeologists, who might have better methods and techniques, to revisit the site and gain new information from the parts of the site that remain intact.

At Birdoswald, archaeologists return to the same spot several years in a row, each time digging a little deeper than before. In the same way, they excavate only a portion of the bathhouse each year.
    Excavations stop at the point when all the planned trenches are completed and when specific research questions, usually about the use and dating of a site, have been answered. At Birdoswald, the questions include the use, the significance and the role of the settlement outside the fort.

The archaeologists at the bathhouse are coming to this point and have decided to cover it back up (known as backfilling) once their work is over.

The most widely reported risk to archaeological heritage is the lack of maintenance and conservation of in situ excavated remains. So, in many countries, including the UK where it is standard practice, backfilling of excavated sites is a condition of excavation permits.

If left open, the condition of sub-surface deposits can deteriorate quickly when exposed to the new conditions above the ground, including changes in temperature, sun exposure and fluctuating humidity levels. Physical damage will also occur, including cracks in stone structures, weathering, later crumbling of parts of the structures and the erosion and slumping of the edges of the trenches and cuts made by archaeologists. Human factors pose dangers too, including looting, metal detecting, vandalism and curious visitors wanting to step into excavations.

Before backfilling the bathhouse, the team will have analysed different materials, assessing their ability to resist conditions such as high humidity and biological damage, including burrowing animals and plant roots. The mounds of soil that had been dug out will be put back in the order in which they were excavated. This ensures vegetation can return to the site the following summer.

The bathhouse will likely be covered with a layer of clean sand or a plastic sheet to let future archaeologists know when they might be approaching valuable archaeology in situ. Sometimes coins with current dates are added to the fill material to enable identification of the trenches.
    I was talking about "finds" - you know OBJECTS found at the dig site, not the site itself

Why would they move an entire building or excavation site to a museum? Are you daft?

That is delightfully uniformed view of how archaeological digs are funded.
    I love how you try to counter what I say but utterly fail at it and just show everyone how little you actually know about the topic, and have to rely on google instead. It's hilarious.

Comment

His further reply is the arrogance of ignorance.

Which shows once again that you are the one creating a strawman to burn in order to deflect from your ignorance, but in the process do the opposite and expose your ignorance further.

I love irony.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Which shows once again that you are the one creating a strawman to burn in order to deflect from your ignorance, but in the process do the opposite and expose your ignorance further.

I love irony.
        At this point, It's pretty clear that she is being dishonest in this line of discussion. She's shown in the past that even when called out on her lies, she'll double down on them. I do not believe that there is anything to be gained from furthering her game here, as all it does is play into her desires.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

At this point, It's pretty clear that she is being dishonest in this line of discussion. She's shown in the past that even when called out on her lies, she'll double down on them. I do not believe that there is anything to be gained from furthering her game here, as all it does is play into her desires.
          I imagine her drawing these exchanges out while cackling to her significant other "You outta see me tearing them up!"......
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A desire to play the fool?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I agree. But, it's comedy gold when she tries to act superior while actually exposing her ignorance instead. Her doubling down makes it that much more hilarious.

Comment

I was talking about "finds" - you know OBJECTS found at the dig site, not the site itself
                The site itself is a find.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Why would they move an entire building or excavation site to a museum? Are you daft?
                Some sections of sites are removed to and reassembled in museums.

However, the fact is that sites are usually covered up after sections have been excavated. Did you not read the full article?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I love how you try to counter what I say but utterly fail at it and just show everyone how little you actually know about the topic, and have to rely on google instead. It's hilarious.
                From what you have written it is obvious that what you know would not fill a small Post It note.

"It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

From what you have written it is obvious that what you know would not fill a small Post It note.
                  Talking about yourself again? I am going to assume that YOU are the one getting her knowledge from movies about archeology. Or comic books.

Comment

Talking about yourself again? I am going to assume that YOU are the one getting her knowledge from movies about archeology. Or comic books.
                    You say that like it's a bad thing.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You still got your Digger Dan the Archaeologist Man comic books don't you?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I myself get all of my knowledge from video games, like Dig Dug and Tomb Raider!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          You still got your Digger Dan the Archaeologist Man comic books don't you?
                          And all my construction expertise comes from Bob the Builder, and Railroad knowledge from Thomas the Train. Got a problem with that?

Comment

And all my construction expertise comes from Bob the Builder, and Railroad knowledge from Thomas the Train. Got a problem with that?
                            How could I possibly complain about you getting a well rounded edumakation

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              How could I possibly complain about you getting a well rounded edumakation
                              Don't forget Schoolhouse Rock!!!!

Comment

Everyone thinks of "I'm Just a Bill" but my favoritest was

Comment