Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Energy Companies Are Finally Backtracking On Their Absurd Green Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Hey guys, whether you understand, believe in, or care about climate change, the world is running out of fossil fuels anyway. Had the world taken on this problem 50 years or so ago when Jimmy Carter made it an issue then we'd be a lot better off today.
    It's estimated that the world has only 52 years of oil reserves left, 53 years of natural gas and some 100 years or so of coal. Some estimates are less than that.
    Problem is, we keep hearing these dire warnings and predictions and "the sky is falling" stuff, and the predictions simply don't come true.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Problem is, we keep hearing these dire warnings and predictions and "the sky is falling" stuff, and the predictions simply don't come true.
      Which predictions are speaking of? You do realize the climate is warming as predicted, the ice caps are melting at record pace, meaning the sea level is rising. The oceans have taken on enormous amounts of energy to the point where there will be more, and more devastating hurricanes. All the Forest Fires and floods not just in the U.S. but the world over.
      I'm not sure what predictions you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It will take time, and it is important to make the transition in ways that do not leave the population hanging, as happened when Texas tried to save $:by not putting heaters in its wind turbines to prevent ice buildup during ice storms.

One of the more difficult problems right now is not as much capacity but charging infrastructure.
        And little issues like in California, where all new cars will have to be electric in a couple of years, they currently have regular problems with rolling blackouts. And then they will add the 14.3 million cars needing to charge to that already inadequate power situation -- which will be further compounded by millions of people being forced to switch to electric ovens.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which predictions are speaking of? You do realize the climate is warming as predicted, the ice caps are melting at record pace, meaning the sea level is rising. The oceans have taken on enormous amounts of energy to the point where there will be more, and more devastating hurricanes. All the Forest Fires and floods not just in the U.S. but the world over.
          50 years of predictions that the climate apocalypse is nigh

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which predictions are speaking of?
            The multitude that have been soundly debunked and never came true. Like children not knowing what snow is.

You do realize the climate is warming as predicted,
            Except it's not. The models predict fr more warming than has actually occurred (and warming is of course quite expected as we are emerging from an ice age)
            the ice caps are melting at record pace,
            Interglacial periods tend to do that.

meaning the sea level is rising.
            Sea level has been rising since well before humans started using fossil fuels.

The oceans have taken on enormous amounts of energy to the point where there will be more, and more devastating hurricanes.
            Oopsie doopsie:
            Fd5xVhzXoAAJf3n?format=png&name=medium.png

PS: Climate =/= weather
            All the Forest Fires and floods not just in the U.S. but the world over.
            There you go again conflating weather with climate.

Hate to break it to you but the amount and size of forest fires in the US is quite miniscule compared to what we experienced in the 1600s-1800s. Every year vast areas of 140+ million acres burned per year. In 2021, one of the biggest fire years, it barely breached 7 million acres burned across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Hate to break it to you but the amount and size of forest fires in the US is quite miniscule compared to what we experienced in the 1600s-1800s. Every year vast areas of 140+ million acres burned per year. In 2021, one of the biggest fire years, it barely breached 7 million acres burned across the country.
              Forest fires are tough to gauge, because a lot of it depends on forest management, where prescribed burns are allowed and / or implemented, etc... Sometimes the 'conservationists' are the forests' worst enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Forest fires are tough to gauge, because a lot of it depends on forest management, where prescribed burns are allowed and / or implemented, etc... Sometimes the 'conservationists' are the forests' worst enemies.
                Arson doesn't help either.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

But arson is a direct result of people being frustrated with the weather and taking their vengeance ... um.....

... gimme a minute, I'll think up sumpin.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Beat me to it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which predictions are speaking of? ....
                      18 Spectacularly Wrong Predictions Were Made Around the Time of the First Earth Day in 1970, Expect More This Year

sky is falling.gifwolf.gif

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                          The multitude that have been soundly debunked and never came true. Like children not knowing what snow is.
                          Sounds like something one may have heard on FOX NEWS.

Except it's not. The models predict fr more warming than has actually occurred (and warming is of course quite expected as we are emerging from an ice age)
                          Interglacial periods tend to do that.
                          Sea level has been rising since well before humans started using fossil fuels.
                          See above.

Oopsie doopsie:
                          Fd5xVhzXoAAJf3n?format=png&name=medium.png

PS: Climate =/= weather

There you go again conflating weather with climate.

I think i'll go with the 97% of actual climate scientists who I assume you suspect of either all being idiots or are participating in a gigantic conspiracy. We just had (5) five hundred year storms in 5 years. It isn't that there are not cycles of change due to climate, it's the rapidity of change that is currently taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            And little issues like in California, where all new cars will have to be electric in a couple of years, they currently have regular problems with rolling blackouts. And then they will add the 14.3 million cars needing to charge to that already inadequate power situation -- which will be further compounded by millions of people being forced to switch to electric ovens.

There is no actual reason those issues can't be solved. Whether or not California's leaders have the wisdom and foresight required to make it happen is anyone's guess.

I would point out that most of the time, the doom and gloom predicted by the anti-climate change skeptics aversion to all things green ends up based on misinformation, exaggeration, or just being a problem someone with a positive attitude and a sharp mind solves.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

There is no actual reason those issues can't be solved. Whether or not California's leaders have the wisdom and foresight required to make it happen is anyone's guess.

I would point out that most of the time, the doom and gloom predicted by the anti-climate change skeptics aversion to all things green ends up based on misinformation, exaggeration, or just being a problem someone with a positive attitude and a sharp mind solves.
                              I agree. These skeptics, for one thing don't even seem to realize that the supply of fossil fuels is not endless. The estimate is that we have about 50 years or less before we deplete the worlds oil reserves. That's not a whole lot of time. Some estimates are even less. So we really have no choice but to get moving on it now in order to both preserve the planets climate and continue to produce the energy needed.

But they just don't seem to have that Biden/American spirit that says "there is nothing we can't do".

Comment

We actually aren't, really, if one actually looks in detail at the geologic record

I think i'll go with the 97% of actual climate scientists who I assume you suspect of either all being idiots or are participating in a gigantic conspiracy.
                                ah no surprise you still cling to the long debunked "97%" study.

We just had (5) five hundred year storms in 5 years. It isn't that there are not cycles of change due to climate, it's the rapidity of change that is currently taking place.
                                It appears you don't understand how 100 year storms and 500 year storms work (hint: they don't simply happen every 100 or 500 years). Not are they predicated on an event somewhere else in the country having happened recently

I see you ran from your wildfire bull feces

Comment