Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School District Secession?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm saying you're getting goofy... using goofy arguments. Again, if the school is so good, why would substantial numbers of people take their students from it? You made a goofy claim - I asked you to back it up with substance. I'm thinking you can't do that.
    I'm so confused. Are we talking in generalities or in specifics to this case in the op? I keep trying to talk about what I think is going on in the OP and I get the sense that you're trying to pick a fight with me over education policy. Are you wanting to have a general policy discussion or are you trying to talk about the op?

Again, it's the education establishment - those who profit financially - by maintaining a monopoly. "Big Ed" exists to reward its own. The teachers' unions don't exist to represent the best interest of the students, but the financial well being of their members - often at the expense of the best education for the students. This is one of the reasons homeschooling has become so prevalent.
    I have no doubt that in some cases, "Big Ed" tries to advocate for itself. I mean, that's the way democracy runs in this country. Powerful special interests bend policy in their own direction. Big business tries to advocate for itself. Religious communities try to advocate for themselves. Law enforcement tries to advocate for itself--and often, usually, these "bigs" are advocating things that are arguably detrimental to the larger population--at least until we examine the chain of causation. Then the stuff becomes more debatable. I'm happy to discuss it with you, if you'd like.

You seem to think that the "establishment" knows better than the parents what's best for the students. I was one of those who was arrested and prosecuted for NOT bowing to the system, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    I haven't argued any such thing here. If you want to discuss it, try not to put words in my mouth.

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      I'm so confused.
      I've noticed.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've noticed.
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          I don't see this going anywhere, Guac, and don't really have the desire to carry this on.

(My hand kept typing Quac - that would have been a hoot! )
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

maybe I can explain. CP was pointing out that you were using extreme examples which even if they did occur would be a very small minority in order to argue against using vouchers. Even if people did pull kids out because they didn't care if the school was good or not and just cared about some fundy principals, the number who did something like that would be a very small percentage and not likely be enough of a hit to affect whether the school stayed funded if it were a good school.

At least that is the way I read it.

Comment

I don't see this going anywhere, Guac, and don't really have the desire to carry this on.

(My hand kept typing Quac - that would have been a hoot! )
              Me too. It honestly didn't seem like you were trying to have a in-good-faith discussion. Sorry, but I'm not just interested in a shouting match right now. Maybe another time.

fwiw,
              guacamole
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                maybe I can explain. CP was pointing out that you were using extreme examples which even if they did occur would be a very small minority in order to argue against using vouchers. Even if people did pull kids out because they didn't care if the school was good or not and just cared about some fundy principals, the number who did something like that would be a very small percentage and not likely be enough of a hit to affect whether the school stayed funded if it were a good school.

As I explained to CP, a couple of times I think, I was trying to answer in respect to the district in the OP--specifically, I was trying to answer why I thought this district in particular, in Gardendale, Alabama, didn't seem to be considering a voucher system. Then I figured out that he wanted to fight with me about school choice. Not interested today.

fwiw,
                guac.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

FWIW,

There's an article, from the POV of a national media source (Newsweek), that goes into much more depth. I don't have time to read it, but I skimmed over a bit and there were some interesting tidbits:

http://www.newsweek.com/race-schools-592637

fwiw,
                  guac.
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Don't you know? Segregation is in again! Remember the black students who insisted on having black only housing at school?

and blacks-only classes: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...804-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah!

Comment