Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

24 Million US Government Employees? Steve Ballmer's new website: USAFacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I had a professor who used to say, "Figures don't lie but liars figure."
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." --popularized by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli. Twain also stated, "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable."

Or as Professor of Mathematics and writer on the history, philosophy, and teaching of mathematics (longtime critic of the way mathematics was taught), Morris Kline, put it: "Statistics: the mathematical theory of ignorance."

And then of course there are two other rather known sayings:
    "Statistics are like a bikini. What they real is suggestive, but what they hide is vital."

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost; for support not illumination."

Okay, let's be honest here. Everyone relies on statistics not just to basically function but also to bolster your own cases. Still, especially when it comes to things such as politics one should be especially aware that they can be manipulated and pay attention to how something is worded and examine the perimeters set.
    Last edited by rogue06; 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      True. So I suppose the point here is to figure out a way to cross check enough of the stuff to see if it is correct. I have no idea how to determine if someone is making certain data harder to find than other data.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      basically by how smart the search engine is. for example, if you type in "How much did the republicans spend on war" and get a result, but do the same search on democrats but get no results, you know something is up. (that was just an example. I have no idea how the search engine works there)

Comment

It's in the article, not in the database section.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        How far can I trust an openly partisan hack to set up a non-partisan database?
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          How far can I trust an openly partisan hack to set up a non-partisan database?
          Do you know for a fact that he's a partisan hack? He makes the claim in the article that he's donated money to both Republicans and Democrats. I'm not sure myself, just asking.

fwiw,
          guacamole.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            basically by how smart the search engine is. for example, if you type in "How much did the republicans spend on war" and get a result, but do the same search on democrats but get no results, you know something is up. (that was just an example. I have no idea how the search engine works there)
            Well, the website's in beta. It will be more interesting to check out once it is up and running fully.

fwiw,
            guacamole
            Save me, save me"

Comment

It's in the article, not in the database section.
              Are we sure? I mean, we only have the word of a liberal that the website is "non-partisan".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Are we sure?.
                Per the article

I mean, we only have the word of a liberal that the website is "non-partisan"
                Ballmer? I have no idea what his politics are.
                The publisher? I suppose the New York Times is liberal, but I don't read it regularly enough to know.
                Me? I am clearly more liberal than you, but I hardly merit the label.

fwiw,
                guacamole
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  None of them work at the DMV.
                  I checked.
                  How long did you wait?

sloth.jpg
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...on-valley.html

Steve Ballmer is a Republican who covers his bases
                    AP

Ballmer has given $32,500 to Republicans including $15,000 to the Republican National Committee.

He's also supported the leadership PACs of both Republican House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and made donations to the campaign coffers of Republican Senator Dean Heller, who is running for re-election in Nevada, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Washington Congressman Dave Reichert, and Republican Senator Olympia Snowe, who is retiring at the end of the year.

Historically, he has covered his bases politically by contributing similar amounts to Democrats. At the same time, Ballmer is a professed Republican, working on George W. Bush's 2004 re-election campaign as well as helping many other Republican Senatorial and House campaigns.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...rs-his-bases-9

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...on-valley.html

Steve Ballmer is a Republican who covers his bases
                      AP

Ballmer has given $32,500 to Republicans including $15,000 to the Republican National Committee.

He's also supported the leadership PACs of both Republican House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and made donations to the campaign coffers of Republican Senator Dean Heller, who is running for re-election in Nevada, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Washington Congressman Dave Reichert, and Republican Senator Olympia Snowe, who is retiring at the end of the year.

Historically, he has covered his bases politically by contributing similar amounts to Democrats. At the same time, Ballmer is a professed Republican, working on George W. Bush's 2004 re-election campaign as well as helping many other Republican Senatorial and House campaigns.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...rs-his-bases-9
                      Thanks. That was useful.

Off topic, I like how we are all now accustomed to talk about things like "covering his bases" by donating an equal amount to Democrats, as if the big donations are anything other than official bribery. I suppose he also donated 'dark money' to other PACs.

fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      Last edited by guacamole; 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Do you know for a fact that he's a partisan hack? He makes the claim in the article that he's donated money to both Republicans and Democrats. I'm not sure myself, just asking.

fwiw,
                        guacamole.
                        He is most assuredly a partisan of big government.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          He is most assuredly a partisan of big government.
                          Based on what evidence? Corporate welfare? I feel like most of the CEO class in this country would qualify then.

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Based on what evidence? Corporate welfare? I feel like most of the CEO class in this country would qualify then.

fwiw,
                            guacamole
                            Most CEOs aren't setting up ostensibly non-partisan websites.
                            sigpic

Comment