Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OMB derail from Biden dox thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Most people here won't give the thread starter name a second thought here for numerous reasons. One a derail thread is simply a thread where posts from another source have been gathered, they don't have a proper "author" other than those who started the derail. Second sometimes finding the derail starter is a blurry line, and assigning it to one person explicitly rather than letting the software would be placing too much blame on one person, third all staff are volunteers doing this on their own time, and fourth the software here can be very glitchy when it comes to displaying certain things like who posted most recently in a thread. My response to seeing my name under the title of such a thread is "oops, I derailed another thread didn't I? ".

As for the different cultures comment that's probably the best way to put it. What is and isn't considered rude can be vastly different in different cultures. In some places belching after a meal is a compliment to the chef, while in others it is considered offensive. As a loose framework the ask and guess culture concept can be useful in understanding other people who differ from you. Most people here seem to fit closer to ask culture and prefer being up front and tell their opinions bluntly. They are also going to separate criticism of a person's actions and ideas from criticism of the person. If they say "X is a dumb idea" they aren't accusing you of being dumb in general for example.

I don't think that the distinctions between these two "cultures" are as distinct as they might sound just from my post, but it's a useful concept to understand other people in certain circumstances. I also think that it might be useful for you here.
    Excellent video - thanks! I'll use that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Moderator Notice

Please don't make us have to split THIS derail off this thread! It would start with ox's post and he might get cranky.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Excellent video - thanks! I'll use that.
        You're welcome. I'll leave off there though, I don't want to further the derail.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Moderator Notice

Please don't make us have to split THIS derail off this thread! It would start with ox's post and he might get cranky.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

I shall exit and unsubscribe.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I added a notice to the first post in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I added a notice to the first post in this thread.
              The very fact that the thread title carries the word "derail" should have been sufficient to clue those in to what manner of thread this is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment