Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It appears that you actually do want an exhumation.

So let us return to this now mouldering corpse of a thread from the summer of 2022 and look at various comments made on that thread: [https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...1#post1397251]

Completely contradicted your earlier allegation concerning Spartacus that:

In that same thread you demonstrated total ignorance concerning the army as it was reorganised, standardised, and reformed, including its auxiliary units, under Augustus and the way auxiliary troops were used during the Republic. [T]abibito made a similar error where he wrote this:

Thereby manifesting his complete ignorance that auxiliary troops had been used by, for example, Julius Caesar.

Your own gaffes dealing with the auxila and army during the Republic and early Principate were very entertaining and you even succeeded in contradicting yourself over the course of our exchanges:

The following was, one assumes, a reference to the events of 67 BCE but no date is provided! Nor is any comment given on who "they" might have been and to what was being referred with regard to citizenship.

Instead we were proffered the usual vague and generalised confection.

A completely contradictory comment was also made.

And in response to my comments correcting your erroneous contention that because Spartacus was in the Roman army he was therefore a Roman citizen you hilariously stated:

Which of course only applied to the reorganisation, standardisation, and reforms, including to the auxiliary units, undertaken by Augustus.

All of which I corrected.
    Now tell us about how food banks operate...and how 1 day of closure is so harmful. Or there is absolutely no way whatsoever we can come up with a plausible hypothesis about what "Their creator" was intended to mean when written.

Comment

Not really. I doubt the antics of Ms Vaughan Spruce make national news headlines. And those living and working in and around the clinic most likely consider her to be nothing but a nuisance.
      Originally posted by Sparko
      Didn't make national news headlines? What are you even talking about? It made INTERNATIONAL headlines.

Now if the police didn't overreact then perhaps she would not have gotten the publicity she did. We may never have heard of her.​
      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Yes but it was somewhat brief. She is not the leading news story day in and day out.

Comment

It appears that you actually do want an exhumation.
        I guess you aren't bright enough to realize that you brought it up. And your memory must be failing if you think this won't result in more humiliation for you

So let us return to this now mouldering corpse of a thread from the summer of 2022 and look at various comments made on that thread: [https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...1#post1397251]

Completely contradicted your earlier allegation concerning Spartacus that:

Looks like a simple mistake of writing auxilia instead of army when the topic resurfaced two years later, particularly given the number of times I made the distinction. smiley yawn.gif

In that same thread you demonstrated total ignorance concerning the army as it was reorganised, standardised, and reformed, including its auxiliary units, under Augustus and the way auxiliary troops were used during the Republic. [T]abibito made a similar error where he wrote this:
        That was yet another instance of your compulsion to try to show "I knows stuff" after a round of furious Googling. Moreover, it was yet again one of your instances when you mistakenly conflate events many decades apart as being contemporaneous -- something you as a "historian" frequently do. Much like finding out that William Tell wasn't a real person it is apparent that you thought Augustus' reforms, which took place in the final decades of the B.C. era, somehow had anything to do with Spartacus, who had died over a half century earlier.

Aren't you glad you exhumed this?

Thereby manifesting his complete ignorance that auxiliary troops had been used by, for example, Julius Caesar.
        You mean the man who you have repeatedly claimed never invaded much less conquered Gaul?

That was quite the startling position for a self-proclaimed "academic historian" to take. One that flies directly in the face of all of the evidence and puts you as an extreme outlier.

Your own gaffes dealing with the auxila and army during the Republic and early Principate were very entertaining and you even succeeded in contradicting yourself over the course of our exchanges:
        Nice job of repeating my simple mistake of writing auxilia instead of army when the topic resurfaced two years later. I guess that's necessary when you want to point out all of my mistakes and you couldn't find very many.

And as previously noted, earlier you never challenged the evidence that those in the Roman army were or became citizens, but rather Spartacus was in the army or in the auxillia. Florus, indicates it was the former. Whether or not he is correct is unknown although he is in at least part backed up by Appian.

So, once again, your argument is with the ancient Roman historians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I guess you aren't bright enough to realize that you brought it up. -
          Merely in response to your comment:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          What about Texas bounty hunters?

Nor did I make any comment regarding that thread! You, on the other hand, could not resist

And your memory must be failing if you think this won't result in more humiliation for you
          To use a line "Make my day".

Looks like a simple mistake of writing auxilia instead of army when the topic resurfaced two years later, particularly given the number of times I made the distinction.
          To paraphrase Mandy Rice Davies "You would claim that wouldn't you"?

That was yet another instance of your compulsion to try to show "I knows stuff"
          As I noted to you in another comment on another thread:

One has to know stuff in order to understand the history and the historical context.

after a round of furious Googling.
          Again, that is something I leave to you given you never cite anything, barring one ebook by Loke, that is not available and gratis on the net.

Moreover, it was yet again one of your instances when you mistakenly conflate events many decades apart as being contemporaneous -- something you as a "historian" frequently do. Much like finding out that William Tell wasn't a real person it is apparent that you thought Augustus' reforms, which took place in the final decades of the B.C. era, somehow had anything to do with Spartacus, who had died over a half century earlier.

You mean the man who you have repeatedly claimed never invaded much less conquered Gaul?

That was quite the startling position for a self-proclaimed "academic historian" to take. One that flies directly in the face of all of the evidence and puts you as an extreme outlier.

A flurry comments intended to avoid having to address your own crass and ignorant remarks.

Nice job of repeating my simple mistake of writing auxilia instead of army when the topic resurfaced two years later. I guess that's necessary when you want to point out all of my mistakes and you couldn't find very many.
          See my above paraphrase of Mandy Rice Davies .

And as previously noted, earlier you never challenged the evidence that those in the Roman army were or became citizens, but rather Spartacus was in the army or in the auxillia. Florus, indicates it was the former. Whether or not he is correct is unknown although he is in at least part backed up by Appian.

So, once again, your argument is with the ancient Roman historians.
          If memory serves we had quite a detailed exchange dealing with those various comments from Roman writers

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• I need a break - maybe I'll go spend some time in the UK praying silently in my head so I can get arrested and have some downtime.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I need a break - maybe I'll go spend some time in the UK praying silently in my head so I can get arrested and have some downtime.
              The police have repeatedly been informed to stop doing that so you might have to resort to saying that one reminds you of your lesbian grandmother.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                The police have repeatedly been informed to stop doing that so you might have to resort to saying that one reminds you of your lesbian grandmother.
                He could read an unapproved book that promotes hate, like the bible.

Comment