Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Wrong! Paul definitely wrote that you should obey the laws of the lands that you reside in. I'm a pagan and even I know that.
    Ah yes, because Daniel never prayed to God without concern for the law.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      The police officer requested she voluntarily accompany them to the police station. She refused. And so she was arrested.

https://www.jdspicer.co.uk/site/our-...ice-interview/

The first thing to note is that just because it is called a ‘voluntary’ interview, doesn’t mean you should simply refuse to attend. Although you can say no, this could result in the police deciding to arrest you so they can carry out a standard police interview instead.

However, this seems very much to the proverbial storm in a thimble and as I noted in a previous reply I suspect the case will be dismissed and she will receive a caution.
      That means you were being taken into custody voluntarily or not. For silently praying.

For being so obnoxious about it that the cop had to ask if she was praying.

After all, it's typical for cops when seeing someone breaking the law to first stop and ask the perpetrators if they're breaking the law. At least in whatever obscure corner of the Twilight Zone some posters apparently inhabit.

Cue the music

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Your location description is a constant demonstration of your issues with using the English vocabulary. It's quite reminiscent of PZ Myers' Free Thought Blogs.
        It's funny how someone who just could not grasp that the phrase "somewhere in between" is not the same as "exactly in the middle" like she repeatedly kept insisting now seeks to lecture on qualifiers.

Moreover, she would not have been confused and made demonstrably inaccurate assertions or speculations if she had bothered to read the article she linked to, which made it perfectly clear

"The clip shows the woman silently standing on a curb across from an abortion clinic"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
          Wrong! Paul definitely wrote that you should obey the laws of the lands that you reside in. I'm a pagan and even I know that.
          But if you did happen to get such an Order slapped on you,. and if you did happen to continue to bust it, then you would be getting in to a lot of trouble.
          Perhaps you were unaware of the little incident where they were commanded to stop preaching, and they rebelled?

Scripture Verse: Acts 4

18 So they called them and charged them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John answered them, Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, 20 for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”

© Copyright Original Source

Let's try another version of that...

Scripture Verse: Acts 4

18 So they called them and charged them not to pray at all - even in their own heads. 19 But Peter and John answered them, Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, 20 for we cannot but pray for the things about which we are concerned.”

© Copyright Original Source

That was easy!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah yes, because Daniel never prayed to God without concern for the law.
            Daniel is not considered to be a historical figure.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That means you were being taken into custody voluntarily or not. For silently praying.
              We do not know that. She was asked various questions including whether she was praying. However, she was loitering in an area in which she was not supposed to be.

Had she simply acknowledged the officers when they approached her and agreed to move away from that area the entire [later recorded] episode would possibly never have developed.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              For being so obnoxious about it that the cop had to ask if she was praying.
              We do not know why that officer asked that particular question.

As far as I am aware religious freedom is still permitted in England. However, she was loitering where she should not have been and from the officer's comments that was not the first occasion that she had been seen in that area. That fact might have been what prompted the police officer to ask her to voluntarily accompany him and his colleague to the police station for an interview.

However, she refused and that led to her being arrested.

It strikes me that the entire thing was a publicity stunt given that someone was filming the incident. Who were they and what motive[s] did they had for doing so?

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

By who, HA? Give me citations
                Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-27-2022, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

That is your opinion HA
                  It is not just my opinion RTT.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Daniel is still a prominent figure in Judaism and Christianity and symbol of defiance to earthly powers and devotion to God. Daniel being a historical figure or not is immaterial to his relevance. If you wish to critique the historicity of a figure, I would suggest starting with Hypatia of Alexandria.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It is not just my opinion RTT.
                      You must have replied while I was editing I edited it to ask who you are getting this from and I want citations. I am also interested in your answer to Diogenes question as well as your prof that Julius Caesar and the other Caesars are historical figures.
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-27-2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

By those Christians and Jews recognize as hysterical figures.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

By those Christians and Jews recognize as hysterical figures.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

...I would suggest starting with Hypatia of Alexandria.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you admit that prayer inside the limit was the reason for the arrest. Thank you for conceding the UK has thought crimes. She wasn't even praying out loud but rather in her head. You have admitting praying inside her head inside the limit was the cause pic arrest.
                              You cannot be that slow, Diogenes! The woman could be dancing on the pavement 'Just outside the limits set', but if inside the limits set, that same woman could be arrested, while dancing.
                              This does not admit that the reason for her arrest would be dancing.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

From GOV.UK:

British subject

Until 1949, nearly everyone with a close connection to the United Kingdom was called a ‘British subject’.

All citizens of Commonwealth countries were collectively referred to as ‘British subjects’ until January 1983. However, this was not an official status for most of them.

Since 1983, very few people have qualified as British subjects.

So apparently things have changed
                                Indeed......... I've been a British Citizen since birth. But some folks in Commonwealth Countries are still subjects.

Comment