Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Evangelism isn't a Political Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Yeah it is meaningless prattle and you did miss the point because her goal is to have lots of kids and live off the benefits. She could care less about safe sex because it isn't like a mother of 9 hasn't figured out what causes children.
    Which is why we need to encourage her to have safer sex methods, and perhaps, to teach her how stupid it is to have kids for the sole purpose of getting benefits.

And your entire argument hinges on a belief of ignorance vs they know what they are doing. If you get all these benefits by having a bunch of children, why not? Don't you see it yet? They are being rewarded for their actions and choices. As long as the rewards continue, why stop? It has little to do with education as you believe it does.
    If she was educated she might be able to make enough money not to have to have kids to get the benefits. Education is central to this issue.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      If she didn't have sex the problem also wouldn't exist and you wouldn't be trying to shake down third parties to pay for her mistakes.
      Agreed. But I'm also saying birth control and abortion would also make the problem not exist.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
        Which is why we need to encourage her to have safer sex methods, and perhaps, to teach her how stupid it is to have kids for the sole purpose of getting benefits.
        Guess you never heard of this thing about leading a horse to water, but you can't make it take a drink. Do you seriously think you can discourage something that works without drastic measures?

If she was educated she might be able to make enough money not to have to have kids to get the benefits. Education is central to this issue.
        And you can teach something that wasn't repeated throughout our schooling? If they didn't learn already, what makes you think that they will later?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Agreed. But I'm also saying birth control and abortion would also make the problem not exist.
          One first has to use something, for it to work.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Guess you never heard of this thing about leading a horse to water, but you can't make it take a drink. Do you seriously think you can discourage something that works without drastic measures?
            Are you seriously saying that encouraging/teaching safer sex methods and teaching people a work ethic and not to milk the government is not a worthwhile effort? Wow.

And you can teach something that wasn't repeated throughout our schooling? If they didn't learn already, what makes you think that they will later?
            Well this woman clearly indicates she lacked formal education. I'd be surprised she made it out of high school.

Comment

Are you seriously saying that encouraging/teaching safer sex methods and teaching people a work ethic and not to milk the government is not a worthwhile effort? Wow.
              Nope, not at all but do keep beating that strawman because that's all you have. Perhaps if you were busy reading for comprehension vs just hearing what you want to hear you'd discover that 13 years of school didn't change anything, so what more education teach that already hasn't been said countless times before?

Well this woman clearly indicates she lacked formal education. I'd be surprised she made it out of high school.
              Considering the poor state of many schools today, what makes you think she didn't? I can introduce you several high school graduates that can't read at a functional level, have a difficult time with basic math, and have the writing skills of a 5th grader.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Nope, not at all but do keep beating that strawman because that's all you have. Perhaps if you were busy reading for comprehension vs just hearing what you want to hear you'd discover that 13 years of school didn't change anything, so what more education teach that already hasn't been said countless times before?
                Your ability to project onto others what you do all the time is impeccable.

Considering the poor state of many schools today, what makes you think she didn't? I can introduce you several high school graduates that can't read at a functional level, have a difficult time with basic math, and have the writing skills of a 5th grader.
                Yeah, they're probably your relatives.

Comment

Your ability to project onto others what you do all the time is impeccable.
                  And yet here you are inventing words you want me to say whole cloth and trying to blame me for your inability to read. It's not difficult to figure out. They have already gone through years of the education system and that seems to not do anything. If you got a way to educate others on things they refuse to learn, by all means share it.

Yeah, they're probably your relatives.
                  Trying to score points vs answering points? Yeah I'll take that as you have no real answer.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And yet here you are inventing words you want me to say whole cloth and trying to blame me for your inability to read. It's not difficult to figure out. They have already gone through years of the education system and that seems to not do anything. If you got a way to educate others on things they refuse to learn, by all means share it.
                    You're assuming she went to school for 13 full years, and yet, still turned out almost as dumb as you. Show evidence that's true.

Trying to score points vs answering points? Yeah I'll take that as you have no real answer.
                    All your point rode on was the above assumption, so there's nothing to respond to unless you can show your assumption is true.

Comment

You're assuming she went to school for 13 full years, and yet, still turned out almost as dumb as you. Show evidence that's true.
                      Dumb must mean 'doesn't agree with me!' But I already explained it to you. Schools have passed plenty of people that can't do much of anything on their own so it remains your burden to show otherwise.

All your point rode on was the above assumption, so there's nothing to respond to unless you can show your assumption is true.
                      And yours rides on the assertion that schools don't graduate people as dumb as you. Unlike you though, I can show schools do indeed graduate students that can't perform at a functional level.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Dumb must mean 'doesn't agree with me!' But I already explained it to you. Schools have passed plenty of people that can't do much of anything on their own so it remains your burden to show otherwise.
                        I've never taken the position that schools can't or don't graduate dumb people. I'm pretty sure you've got plenty of dumb relatives who've finished their schoolin'.

And yours rides on the assertion that schools don't graduate people as dumb as you. Unlike you though, I can show schools do indeed graduate students that can't perform at a functional level.
                        Completing formal education makes it statistically more likely that you won't be dumb, like you, but it of course graduates dumb people. Just look at your family.

Comment

I've never taken the position that schools can't or don't graduate dumb people. I'm pretty sure you've got plenty of dumb relatives who've finished their schoolin'.
                          None of my relatives are out having welfare kids, but nice try. Now have you come up with a program yet that will solve the problems brought up in this thread yet or are you just going to throw out more ad hominems?

Completing formal education makes it statistically more likely that you won't be dumb, like you, but it of course graduates dumb people. Just look at your family.
                          Yes like me, who earned 3 degrees in the military without owning a dime to get any of them. Or like my brother, who owned a newer 3 bedroom house before he was 25. Or several of my cousins who have been successful in their own fields. Now when you're done with the personal attacks, I await your answer or you could just admit little to nothing can be done about this problem.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

None of my relatives are out having welfare kids, but nice try. Now have you come up with a program yet that will solve the problems brought up in this thread yet or are you just going to throw out more ad hominems?
                            I never said they were. I said they graduated school but are still probably as dumb as you. I've already covered what would fix the problems in this thread: better education would help, birth control and abortion would also (if used), and changing the system so that you can't milk it by having more kids.

Yes like me, who earned 3 degrees in the military without owning a dime to get any of them. Or like my brother, who owned a newer 3 bedroom house before he was 25. Or several of my cousins who have been successful in their own fields. Now when you're done with the personal attacks, I await your answer or you could just admit little to nothing can be done about this problem.
                            Wow, 3 degrees and you're still an idiot. You've definitely convinced me that you can get a degree and still be an ignoramus. You've proved it.

Comment

I never said they were. I said they graduated school but are still probably as dumb as you. I've already covered what would fix the problems in this thread: better education would help, birth control and abortion would also (if used), and changing the system so that you can't milk it by having more kids.
                              Abortion and birth control freely available and the problem still exist. Changing the rules to keep people from from having welfare babies, welcome to the conservative position.

Wow, 3 degrees and you're still an idiot. You've definitely convinced me that you can get a degree and still be an ignoramus. You've proved it.
                              And yet you're burdened with student debt while I live student debt free, so which one of us is the dumb one?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Abortion and birth control freely available and the problem still exist. Changing the rules to keep people from from having welfare babies, welcome to the conservative position.
                                They're not free. And if you're dumb you won't use them when needed.

And yet you're burdened with student debt while I live student debt free, so which one of us is the dumb one?
                                I'm not burdened because I make enough money to live on my own and pay back my loans. And I didn't get the government to pay for college for me.

Comment