Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Switzerland plans to BAN EVs from roads & order games consoles turned off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

People fear what they don't understand, and nuclear power isn't something the average person understands. They hear about Chernobyl, Fukushima, etc. and think that nuclear power is a huge threat. Radioactive materials handled incorrectly can cause some nasty things to happen, like the Radium Girls incident, or another incident, I believe in Japan, where a man fell apart over a period of weeks(maybe months) due to mishandling the materials. I don't fully remember, but this might have been at Fukushima before the meltdown.
    But they are no more dead than people killed in coal dust explosions or refinery explosions, and those deaths are far more frequent.
    (They just don't glow in the dark)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But they are no more dead than people killed in coal dust explosions or refinery explosions, and those deaths are far more frequent.
      (They just don't glow in the dark)
      Study from 2010, so, obviously not including Japan's accident...

• More than 2 500 people are killed every year in severe energy related accidents and this figure is increasing as energy demand increases.
      • Between 1969 and 2000 there were 2 259 and 3 713 fatalities in the coal and oil energy chains respectively in OECD countries, and 18 017 and 16 505 fatalities in non-OECD countries. Hydropower was responsible for 29 924 deaths in one incident in China. In contrast, there has only been one severe accident in nuclear power plants over this period of time (Chernobyl) which resulted in 31 fatalities.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Random people do have the strangest beliefs about nuclear power. I saw a TYT clip a year or so back where they seemed to believe that nuclear power plants could explode like nuclear bombs. The recent TV series 100 had a radiation death wave coming from untended nuclear power plants.

People really don't seem to realize that in terms of deaths caused per unit of energy produced over history nuclear has been among the safest of all energy generation technologies. And yes, that includes Chernobyl.
        Hollyweird in particular has shown massive ignorance regarding nuclear power and especially radiation for as long as I can remember. One particular trope is about the length of time of exposure before it was lethal. Typically the stars of the show would get away just seconds before receiving that lethal dose which meant they were right as rain. No side effects whatsoever from getting a near lethal dose. They don't even take any potassium iodine as a precaution because as everyone knows, near lethal exposure has absolutely no adverse effects.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Study from 2010, so, obviously not including Japan's accident...

• More than 2 500 people are killed every year in severe energy related accidents and this figure is increasing as energy demand increases.
          • Between 1969 and 2000 there were 2 259 and 3 713 fatalities in the coal and oil energy chains respectively in OECD countries, and 18 017 and 16 505 fatalities in non-OECD countries. Hydropower was responsible for 29 924 deaths in one incident in China. In contrast, there has only been one severe accident in nuclear power plants over this period of time (Chernobyl) which resulted in 31 fatalities.
          Working on an oil rig or in a coal mine is dangerous work.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Hollyweird in particular has shown massive ignorance regarding nuclear power and especially radiation for as long as I can remember. One particular trope is about the length of time of exposure before it was lethal. Typically the stars of the show would get away just seconds before receiving that lethal dose which meant they were right as rain. No side effects whatsoever from getting a near lethal dose. They don't even take any potassium iodine as a precaution because as everyone knows, near lethal exposure has absolutely no adverse effects.
            Kinda like the cops with pistols holding off the bad guys who are using fully automatic weapons --- thousands of shots are killed, all the bad guys are dead and one cop has a flesh wound.

Comment

Hey, those Hollyweird movies made for some great nuclear monsters. Giant animals and people terrorizing some community, finally defeated by the military, and then a sermon at the end about how horrible nuclear research is. Sort of like the movies that are knee-deep in violence and then preach peace at the audience in the end.

Comment

Kinda like the cops with pistols holding off the bad guys who are using fully automatic weapons --- thousands of shots are killed, all the bad guys are dead and one cop has a flesh wound.
                for the thousands of shots killed

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Hey, those Hollyweird movies made for some great nuclear monsters. Giant animals and people terrorizing some community, finally defeated by the military, and then a sermon at the end about how horrible nuclear research is. Sort of like the movies that are knee-deep in violence and then preach peace at the audience in the end.
                  Yeah, radiation makes you grow into gigantic proportions, or as was a favorite on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,[1] turned you into a werewolf.

1. I think that happened a couple of times but at least once for certain.

Comment

for the thousands of shots killed
                    I did that just for you, ya know?

Comment

I did that just for you, ya know?
                      Yup

As to the never ending gunfire without reloading:

Not long after getting a VCR the TV show Starsky and Hutch was on in syndication and they got ambushed along some stretch of isolated road. Using the VCR, I counted how many times each of them shot their respective pistols (one of which was a revolver -- a "six shooter"). Each fired well over 100 rounds before they stopped to talk while they finally reloaded.

As for thousand of rounds fired with nobody getting hurt:

A-Team. They could literally be lined up facing each other no more than 10' apart, open fire with automatic weapons, and nobody gets hit.

Comment

In the case of Old West duels, I think Hollywood built an entire myth off of a fluke. Wild Bill Hickok struck his target with a deadly shot in a duel with a pistol from 75 yards away. I can't imagine that happeing very often. As far as the "quick draw" duel, I think that Hollywood myth was built from thin air. From what I've read, most gun battles were people shooting each other in the back. Hickock was shot in the back after attempting to get a seat at his poker table facing the door (which he did because back shooting was so common).

https://www.springfieldmo.gov/1839/W...-on-the-Square

Comment

Yup

Not long after getting a VCR the TV show Starsky and Hutch was on in syndication and they got ambushed along some stretch of isolated road. Using the VCR, I counted how many times each of them shot their respective pistols (one of which was a revolver -- a "six shooter"). Each fired well over 100 rounds before they stopped to talk while they finally reloaded.

A-Team. They could literally be lined up facing each other no more than 10' apart, open fire with automatic weapons, and nobody gets hit.
                          We had a local celebrity kind of "hosting the movies" thing on TV, where they would do goofy stuff between segments of the movie.
                          Apparently, one of their favorites was a spoof on The Rifleman.

They would show him walking down the dirt road of the old Western town, and suddenly break into firing 37 rapid fire shots from his repeating rifle (looping the 3 or 4 times in the actual intro), then take one bullet out of his shirt pocket, slide it into the receiver, and continue firing and firing and firing....

Talk about a "magic bullet"!!!

Comment

Yup

That was the plan and when it came together, they loved it.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              In the case of Old West duels, I think Hollywood built an entire myth off of a fluke. Wild Bill Hickok struck his target with a deadly shot in a duel with a pistol from 75 yards away. I can't imagine that happeing very often. As far as the "quick draw" duel, I think that Hollywood myth was built from thin air. From what I've read, most gun battles were people shooting each other in the back. Hickock was shot in the back after attempting to get a seat at his poker table facing the door (which he did because back shooting was so common).

https://www.springfieldmo.gov/1839/W...-on-the-Square
                              IIRC, the Hollyweird classic duel at High Noon or the equivalent actually happened once (Hitchcock v. Tutt) and maybe, possibly a second time.

Hardly the monthly event in every town and city west of the Mississippi that is depicted.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                                That was the plan and when it came together, they loved it.
                                I doubt that any of George Peppard's cigars lost a single flake of ash during one of their shootouts.

Comment