Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defining Marriage Out of Existence: We told you So....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

My emphasis. That is polygyny.
    Either is correct.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Either is correct.
      Not strictly. Polygamy refers to many marriages [poly/many + gamos/marriage]

A woman with several husbands is polygamous.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife

each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband

Not wives not husbands, not plural
        Doesn't necessarily say a number. Could easily be interpreted as talking about each husband and wife in a polygamous marriage

Comment

Either is correct.
          As you seem hyperfocused on a man marrying multiple wives, and seem to ignore other plural marriages, polygyny seems the most accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Doesn't necessarily say a number. Could easily be interpreted as talking about each husband and wife in a polygamous marriage
            The husband of ONE wife?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

The husband of ONE wife?

Ah, you're right, I was mixing it with a different verse. Your verse is about someone wishing to take the office of overseer/bishop, I was thinking of a similar verse about husbands and wives in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Not strictly. Polygamy refers to many marriages [poly/many + gamos/marriage]

A woman with several husbands is polygamous.
                Polygamy covers either a man with many wives or a woman with many husbands.

While polygyny is more precise in this case it does not make polygamy wrong.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Polygamy covers either a man with many wives or a woman with many husbands.

While polygyny is more precise in this case it does not make polygamy wrong.
                  And it is just as wrong for a woman to have more than one husband as it is for a man to have more than one wife.
                  Both are illegal in the US and should stay that way (as well as other versions of plural marriages)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And it is just as wrong for a woman to have more than one husband as it is for a man to have more than one wife.
                    Both are illegal in the US and should stay that way (as well as other versions of plural marriages)
                    It won't stay illegal. Watch over the next 5 years or so the push to legalize plural marriages will start. Predict first legalization will be in California or New York.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

It won't stay illegal. Watch over the next 5 years or so the push to legalize plural marriages will start. Predict first legalization will be in California or New York.
                      Or Utah. The mormons would probably push for any legalization efforts.

I fear you are right. There is a sort of entropy at play in society. Morals tend to degrade over time. This is how many civilizations eventually fail.

Comment

Utah. You already have a community that makes up 55% of the state's population who might be willing to support it.

Arizona, also with a large Mormon population could be a dark horse.

Comment

While I'm well aware of Mormon history on polygamy, I'm not sure today they would be on the forefront of legalizing polygamy. I think this will be a mostly secular movement with yes, some Mormon plus other religious beliefs that allow polygamy claiming it's a freedom of religion issue.

Does anyone have any recent evidence that Mormons are chomping at the bit to get polygamy legalized?
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

While I'm well aware of Mormon history on polygamy, I'm not sure today they would be on the forefront of legalizing polygamy. I think this will be a mostly secular movement with yes, some Mormon plus other religious beliefs that allow polygamy claiming it's a freedom of religion issue.

Does anyone have any recent evidence that Mormons are chomping at the bit to get polygamy legalized?
                            seems like every few years they bust some mormon group of polygamy or sexual abuse. And the only reason they stopped in the first place was that the US wouldn't let Utah join the union without stopping polygamy (not to mention that was why they were chased off to Utah in the first place). Smith had to invent a whole new "revelation" saying why polygamy was no longer allowed by God. I am sure if they thought they could make it legal again, they would get a new "revelation" saying God reinstated it.

Comment

I'm not sure there is a whole lot of chomping at the bit taking place, and most would reject doing it. But that isn't the point. It was never a requirement, and they might support it for those who want that right.

A similar thing might be said about some Muslim groups where the husband is married to a couple of women but one is presented as the wife's sister.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

If you can cite a specific passage by Paul forbidding polygamy I will acknowledge it. If he was explicit we would not have churches over the millennia that allowed polygamy.He did talk about marriage and its purpose and celibacy.
                                1 Tim. 3:2, 12 and Tit. 1:6 are the main ones that come to mind, but even there the meaning of "one-woman-man" is disputed among scholars, even ones who would reject polygamy as valid.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment