Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

more liberal white privilege nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I heard a very interesting suggestion where these things weren't the result of 'White Privilege' as much as the result of culture.

The culture in which I was raised taught me to respect cops, comply with orders, and to not act in a threatening way while in the presence of authority figures who are armed. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that I've a significantly less chance of having a problem with a cop because of the way I was raised to respond to a cop. However, if I was taught that all cops are 'the man' and they're all pigs just holding me down then I'm much more likely to have a very big problem during a traffic stop.

If this country is built on white privilege then how can an Asian family who barely speaks English come over here, start a business, and build it up to something huge in a single generation?
    Yes, racism exists but I think we've entered the age where culture is a bigger factor.
    yes.

When I was stopped by security for suspected shoplifting (see my previous post) I didn't take offense or make a scene or claim discrimination. I calmly showed them my bags and even my empty pockets and when they said "sorry for the misunderstanding" I just said "No problem, you were just doing your job. have a good day"

I am honest and have nothing to hide or reason to get angry at someone doing their job, whether it is a cop, or a store security dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But you know, I have disadvantages too. I am old. I am overweight. Been fat all my life. Been teased for it, beat up, looked down upon, not promoted, not hired in the first place, all because I was fat.
      Shiver me timbers, Pirates can't be fat - with all that sword fighting, pillaging and stuff!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Shiver me timbers, Pirates can't be fat - with all that sword fighting, pillaging and stuff!
        It's the rum and bacon.

Comment

If this country is built on white privilege then how can an Asian family who barely speaks English come over here, start a business, and build it up to something huge in a single generation?
          Yes, racism exists but I think we've entered the age where culture is a bigger factor.
          Because white privilege doesn't entail that no non-white people can ever succeed in this country. That would be a retarded argument.

That would be like someone saying "Look here's a Muslim who isn't a terrorist, therefore radical Islamic terrorism doesn't exist."
          Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
            Because white privilege doesn't entail that no non-white people can ever succeed in this country. That would be a retarded argument.

That would be like someone saying "Look here's a Muslim who isn't a terrorist, therefore radical Islamic terrorism doesn't exist."
            But Asians as a whole do better than whites. For instance they average 3-4 thousand dollars more in annual income than whites do. Their average life expectancy is 86.67 years (84.13 for men and 88.89 for women) while it is only 79.12 years for whites (76.71 for men and 81.48 for women). Interestingly Hispanics also have a higher average life expectancy than do whites at 82.89 years (80.16 for men and 85.44 for women).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thats a bunch of nonsense, Thinker. EVERY group has some privileges and disadvantages. That is just normal. Yes, I can walk in to a store and not be stared at by security, maybe because I am white or maybe because I don't look shady or homeless. I take it back, once in the mall I was waiting on a friend and standing around. I guess I looked suspicious because when we walked out of the store, I was stopped by security and asked if I took anything. I showed them I did not and did not take any offense.

But you know, I have disadvantages too. I am old. I am overweight. Been fat all my life. Been teased for it, beat up, looked down upon, not promoted, not hired in the first place, all because I was fat. Do I complain about "skinny people privilege" and expect them to feel guilty and repay me? No. And what about "pretty" people. They pretty much can waltz around and get anything they want. Men and women, of any race. So should us average people demand pretty people feel guilty and repay us for their privs?

And what about sports? as I said earlier, blacks dominate the sports world. Being black is a benefit for getting into basketball or football. And it is well earned. They are better athletes than most whites. So should white athletes complain about black privileges in sports and demand affirmative action?

Every groups has their privileges and disadvantages. so what? They can't change it. should they not take advantage of their privileges?
              This is all total nonsense. White privilege doesn't entail no other group of people could have any advantages in certain areas. Nor does it entail no white person could be stopped in a store and suspected of potentially being a thief. This is hilariously absurd as a rejection of white privilege. Seriously, ask yourself how this could possibly be an argument against white privilege.

A white person is less likely to be suspected of stealing than a black person - all other things being equal. That's white privilege. That doesn't mean no white person will ever be suspected of stealing.

A white person is less likely to be assumed to be a foreigner or an illegal or not loyal to the US than a person whose ancestors are from Latin America or Asia. That's white privilege. That doesn't entail no white person could ever be assumed to be a foreigner or an illegal. There are thousands of Irish people in the US illegally who over stay their visas. But at first glance you would never suspect them of being here illegally. They just look like regular white Americans.

A white person is less likely to be assumed to be carrying drugs on them and stopped and frisked merely because of that - which is technically a violation of the Constitution. That's white privilege. That doesn't mean no white person could ever be assumed to be carrying drugs on them and stopped and frisked merely because of that.

Those are just a few examples.

And lastly, claiming we're all privileged technically negates your claim that white people don't have privilege for being white. If beautiful people are privileged for being beautiful - and you acknowledge that, then it entails white people are privileged because they're white. You've defeated yourself.

And whether or not someone complains about it is irrelevant to whether white privilege exists.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                But Asians as a whole do better than whites. For instance they average 3-4 thousand dollars more in annual income than whites do. Their average life expectancy is 86.67 years (84.13 for men and 88.89 for women) while it is only 79.12 years for whites (76.71 for men and 81.48 for women). Interestingly Hispanics also have a higher average life expectancy than do whites at 82.89 years (80.16 for men and 85.44 for women).
                This is just more of the retarded argument. White privilege doesn't entail non-whites cannot succeed in this country, and I already mentioned. Yet you still bring this up as an argument.

Comment

yes.

When I was stopped by security for suspected shoplifting (see my previous post) I didn't take offense or make a scene or claim discrimination. I calmly showed them my bags and even my empty pockets and when they said "sorry for the misunderstanding" I just said "No problem, you were just doing your job. have a good day"

I am honest and have nothing to hide or reason to get angry at someone doing their job, whether it is a cop, or a store security dude.
                  Chris Rock has a "public service announcement" video called "How to not get your [butt][1] kicked by the police" that goes over what not to do when being stopped by the police that is hilarious but true. I cannot link to it in that it is unfortunately loaded with vulgarities.

1. The actual term used is a synonym for donkey
                  Last edited by rogue06; 03-03-2017, 03:06 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is just more of the retarded argument. White privilege doesn't entail non-whites cannot succeed in this country, and I already mentioned. Yet you still bring this up as an argument.
                    The point you're missing is that on average Asians do much better than whites. Not just a few here and there but the majority of them.

So much for white privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The point you're missing is that on average Asians do much better than whites. Not just a few here and there but the majority of them.

So much for white privilege.
                      That doesn't negate white privilege at all. You know why? Because white privilege doesn't entail that the majority of Asian Americans cannot succeed.

You still seem to think white privilege means the majority of white people will succeed but no other race could. Get that out of your head.

Comment

You still seem to think white privilege means the majority of white people will succeed but no other race could. Get that out of your head.
                        Then what good is it? I want my white privilege dues refunded!
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I heard a very interesting suggestion where these things weren't the result of 'White Privilege' as much as the result of culture.

The culture in which I was raised taught me to respect cops, comply with orders, and to not act in a threatening way while in the presence of authority figures who are armed. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that I've a significantly less chance of having a problem with a cop because of the way I was raised to respond to a cop. However, if I was taught that all cops are 'the man' and they're all pigs just holding me down then I'm much more likely to have a very big problem during a traffic stop.

It's actually worse than that because colleges and universities actively favor blacks and hispanics and discriminate against asians and some whites. There is a ton of actual, statistically measurable institutional racism favoring the exact same minorities the Shunyadragons and ironically named Thinkers of the world claim are institutionally oppressed.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That doesn't negate white privilege at all. You know why? Because white privilege doesn't entail that the majority of Asian Americans cannot succeed.

White privilege doesn't entail anything whatsoever. It has no coherent meaning, it's based on nothing remotely resembling reality and it was never meant to be anything other than a polite way of saying "kill whitey" invented by white liberals because they couldn't explain why so many blacks and hispanics are failing despite the de facto absence of racism from western institutions.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              It's actually worse than that because colleges and universities actively favor blacks and hispanics and discriminate against asians and some whites. There is a ton of actual, statistically measurable institutional racism favoring the exact same minorities the Shunyadragons and ironically named Thinkers of the world claim are institutionally oppressed.
                              At my University job if two applicants, a white guy and a black guy, are equally qualified for a job if you hire the white guy you have to provide a list of reasons for NOT hiring the black guy. If you hire the black guy you avoid that paper work and the additional justifications for the hire.

I'm okay with that but please don't lecture me about 'white privilege'.
                              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

At my University job if two applicants, a white guy and a black guy, are equally qualified for a job if you hire the white guy you have to provide a list of reasons for NOT hiring the black guy. If you hire the black guy you avoid that paper work and the additional justifications for the hire.

I'm okay with that but please don't lecture me about 'white privilege'.
                                That's downright egalitarian compared to general admission practices.

Comment