Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Appeals Court up holds the stay preventing the Trump Immigration ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Illegals in the US pay taxes but don't get benefits, so they're a massive help to the economy.
    Nonsense, how much does it cost a year to educate one of their kids? Or their emergency room costs. And having helped two people I know get on Title 19 I know they only ask if you are a Citizen, you do not have to show proof - like a birth certificate. Hopefully that will change under Trump. And if memory serves refugees get all the welfare benefits a Citizen would get from day one.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      An illegal almost killed my daughter this past summer, and he got legal representation and got financial protection from the hospital collecting any money from him.
      Really? What happened? Your daughter is OK?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Really? What happened? Your daughter is OK?
        Bad car accident back in the summer. He was driving without a license, here illegally, speeding 15 MPH over the speed limit in the pouring down rain, and she hit his truck in the downpour. He got hurt pretty bad too, but because he is not here legally, the arbitrator judge told us that the hospital could not legally get any money from him. So once again, Starfruit is talking out of his kiwi hole.

And yeah, she's fine. Has a bad scar on her wrist and in her scalp, and some lingering PTSD, but overall, we are blessed she is generally ok.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It is pretty telling that Starlight and the others keep dodging Seer's question asking how many muslim refugees has New Zealand and Australia taken in.

Apparently Australia actually REJECTED Muslim refugees and had made a deal with Obama to take them in for Australia...
          At the heart of the weekend conversation between Mr. Trump and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was a deal struck with the Obama administration that would allow mostly Muslim refugees rejected by Australia to be resettled in the United States.
          http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-au...slim-refugees/
          Also:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...062419039.html
          A leaked government document calling for enhanced screening of Australia's humanitarian refugee intake from Syria and Iraq has attracted widespread criticism from opposition parties and members of the Lebanese community, who were singled out as being prone to "extremism".

The sensitive Cabinet document, which was leaked to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Thursday, recommends that the government applies "additional screening criteria" to 12,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees who are set to resettle in Australia as part of the country's response to the refugee crisis in the Middle East.

"It is expected that some refugees from this conflict will bring with them issues, beliefs or associations that lead them to advocate or engage in politically motivated or communal violence," the leaked document said, explaining why additional screening was required.

and
          https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/i...than-you-think
          New Zealand's Refugee Policy is Closer to Trump's 'Muslim Ban' Than You Might Think

Over the last seven years, New Zealand has quietly been restricting its refugee intake from Africa and the Middle East.

This week, United States President Donald Trump signed a hugely controversial executive order, halting the country's refugee programme, banning residents of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Libya and Yemen from entering the country for 90 days, and halting immigration from those fleeing war-torn Syria indefinitely. The order, which targets Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East and Africa, has been dubbed "extreme vetting" by the Trump administration, and an unconstitutional "Muslim ban" elsewhere.

But since 2009, New Zealand has steadily decreased the number of refugees taken from the Middle East and African regions, citing "broad security concerns". Current Prime Minister Bill English described Middle Eastern asylum seekers in 2005 as "leftovers". "We need migrants, but we don't need leftovers from Middle East terrorist regimes," he writes

Comment

Nonsense, how much does it cost a year to educate one of their kids? Or their emergency room costs. And having helped two people I know get on Title 19 I know they only ask if you are a Citizen, you do not have to show proof - like a birth certificate. Hopefully that will change under Trump. And if memory serves refugees get all the welfare benefits a Citizen would get from day one.
            Not to mention the billions of dollars they send back home to their families which is money that is taken out of the American economy.

Source: The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us...nted=all&_r=1&

© Copyright Original Source

Then there's the burden on tax payers:

Source: Federation for American Immigration Reform

This report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion; nearly $29 billion at the federal level and $84 billion at the state and local level. The study also estimates tax collections from illegal alien workers, both those in the above-ground economy and those in the underground economy. Those receipts do not come close to the level of expenditures and, in any case, are misleading as an offset because over time unemployed and underemployed U.S. workers would replace illegal alien workers.

http://www.fairus.org/publications/t...ates-taxpayers

And how much do they pay in taxes?

Source: US News

Immigrants illegally in the U.S. collectively contribute nearly $12 billion each year to state and local tax coffers, according to a new report...

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...lions-in-taxes

Which is to say that we lose roughly $10 for every $1 illegals pay in taxes.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Bad car accident back in the summer. He was driving without a license, here illegally, speeding 15 MPH over the speed limit in the pouring down rain, and she hit his truck in the downpour. He got hurt pretty bad too, but because he is not here legally, the arbitrator judge told us that the hospital could not legally get any money from him. So once again, Starfruit is talking out of his kiwi hole.

And yeah, she's fine. Has a bad scar on her wrist and in her scalp, and some lingering PTSD, but overall, we are blessed she is generally ok.
              I'm glad she is OK...

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Illegals in the US pay taxes but don't get benefits, so they're a massive help to the economy.
                Good thing you were laughing when you wrote that. Many get paid cash with no taxes taken out. Many start collecting welfare soon after arriving especially if they are those who entered days before giving birth so they have an "anchor baby." In fact one study from last year revealed that the average illegal immigrant collects more welfare than people born in the U.S.

Source: Cashing in: Illegal immigrants get $1,261 more welfare than American families, $5,692 vs. $4,431

0000000000000iic.jpg

The total cost is over $103 billion in welfare benefits to households headed by immigrants. A majority, 51 percent, of immigrant households receive some type of welfare compared to 30 percent of native households, said the analysis of Census data.

Source

And there are numerous other benefits that they receive. As a result of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, states are required to provide K-12 public education for students without legal immigrant status so they can receive a free education. Further they can receive medical treatment and even Medicaid if the illegal immigrant is a pregnant woman or it is an "emergency." And while they cannot collect unemployment (at least in the states that I'm familiar with), they can collect worker's compensation and are also covered by minimum wage laws. And since several states[1] have started issuing driver's licenses and similar documentation to illegal immigrants it is getting increasingly easy for them to claim they're citizens and receive all the benefits without any restriction.

And getting back to the anchor baby issue

Source: The Law Dictionary

Why is it that Illegal Aliens Get Free Food Stamps, Health Insurance and Pay No Taxes?

Just because illegal aliens are not legally entitled to these benefits does not mean they do not apply for them. Yes. It is true that illegal aliens have received grants, professional accreditations, loans, WIC, disability, public housing, college educations, food stamps, unemployment benefits, and tax credits from state and federal agencies.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, at least one third of foreign born citizens in the United States are illegal aliens. Since children born in the United States are considered U.S. Citizens, it becomes complicated when illegal aliens then bear children who are U.S. Citizens.
                If the U.S. government sent the parents of these children away, we would be separating families. Now that these families have given birth to U.S. citizens, the families are eligible for benefits such as WIC and food stamps. Benefits such as these are for low income families. Illegal aliens often work in low paying jobs so they now qualify for benefits.

Source

As an aside, the observation "If the U.S. government sent the parents of these children away, we would be separating families" has always wrung hollow to me since the exact same thing can be said when an American citizen breaks the law. If they get sent to jail the government is "separating families" but nobody bats an eye when that happens. Only when an illegal immigrant family is involved does the wailing and gnashing of teeth start.

1. 12 states and Washington D.C. as of a year ago and it looks like my state will soon be joining the list as a result of a recent court decision.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A year ago this month my girlfriend and I were returning home from dinner with me driving her SUV when we got T-boned by someone going through a red light. Turned out to be a 16 year old who entered the country by himself illegally. He had no license, had been drinking (being underage that is a DUI/DWI regardless of blood alcohol level), "borrowed" his neighbor's car (stole it to go out joy riding), and of course no insurance.

My girlfriend only got a few bruises but I, who was on the side he smashed into, had a pinched nerve in my lower back leaving me in excruciating pain for a couple days[1]. It was the same area that I had done something to a couple months earlier which, thank God, healed very quickly. The kid was also alright (the air bag absorbed the blow) Fortunately our auto insurance policies covered nearly all medical expenses though her SUV was totaled. The kid was living with an aunt who's husband was killed while serving in either Iraq or Afghanistan and had a small child of her own. We were told we could sue her but neither of us had the heart to do so.

1. The gave me Oxycontin at the hospital and a prescription for it but that was about as effective as sugar pills. I was mewling in pain like a stomped on kitten. The only thing that worked at all was an epidermal patch I had left over from when I was taking care of my mother in in-home hospice when she was dying from cancer. I was still in a great deal of pain but at least it had some effect.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    As an aside, the observation "If the U.S. government sent the parents of these children away, we would be separating families" has always wrung hollow to me since the exact same thing can be said when an American citizen breaks the law. If they get sent to jail the government is "separating families" but nobody bats an eye when that happens. Only when an illegal immigrant family is involved does the wailing and gnashing of teeth start.
                    Bingo.

Another answer is to send the entire family back to their own country.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Interesting point. However, prison is less of a separation than outright sending someone to another country.

Comment

That is stupid, there is no ban on 40 majority Muslim nations.
                        Again, they do not have Constitutional protections.
                        The constitutional values of equal protection and religious freedom apply to would-be immigrants to the US as well as residents within the US.

Good take more and more so you too can look like Germany and Sweden and France.
                        My response put the lie to your claim that

Comment

Nonsense, what Rudy said is not in the EO, and where does the EO say it only applies to Muslims? And the fact that Muslims from other countries (which are not failed states) can still immigrant.

The constitutional values of equal protection and religious freedom apply to would-be immigrants to the US as well as residents within the US.

Actually no they don't. There is a 1965 law, but that law could easily be repealed. There is nothing in the Constitution that says otherwise, if you think so produce it.

My response put the lie to your claim that
                          Yes, I was wrong, so please take more and more! Why do you think "humane" Germany is paying them to go back home? It is becoming increasingly clear that large portions of Muslims immigrants are not assimilating into Western societies. So take more Tass, and in a few years like Sweden, your women will not be able to walk the streets at night. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...refugee-centre

Comment

Nonsense, what Rudy said is not in the EO, and where does the EO say it only applies to Muslims? And the fact that Muslims from other countries (which are not failed states) can still immigrant.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6da9d2346c1e

This speaks volumes to the issue if Intention underlying the EO, as was addressed during the 9th Circuit Court hearings.

Actually no they don't. There is a 1965 law, but that law could easily be repealed. There is nothing in the Constitution that says otherwise, if you think so produce it.
                            http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...utional-214722

Yes, I was wrong, so please take more and more! Why do you think "humane" Germany is paying them to go back home? It is becoming increasingly clear that large portions of Muslims immigrants are not assimilating into Western societies. So take more Tass, and in a few years like Sweden, your women will not be able to walk the streets at night.
                            So you do acknowledge that the EO is geared toward banning Muslims. Well of course it is.

Comment

Again, how can it be a Muslim ban when 40 Muslim countries are not included? And the fact that with the seven included countries Muslims are not singled out or even mentioned.

Right, those are people IN the country. It does not apply to those in foreign lands who want to come in. Period.

So you do acknowledge that the EO is geared toward banning Muslims. Well of course it is.
                              No, the EO does not single out Muslims, I personally would like to see a seven year pause on all immigration. Like we did in the past.

Comment

When you have a religion who's stated goal is to destroy America and western civilization and institute a theocracy, at what point do you say "enough is enough" and declare it an enemy instead of welcoming them into your country so they can destroy you?

Comment