Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A little light reading!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Some serious issues among some with reading for comprehension. My emphasis

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Mechanical engineering is one of the disciplines [among many] that deal with climate change and environmental issues.[/quote]
    LOL. Yeah by designing machines that are used by climate change proponents and environmental issues. They are not scientists. Now I am not saying an engineer might not know science, just like anyone can become an expert in a topic on their own, but a mechanical engineering degree is does not confer any expertise in climate science and an engineer is not a scientist. You thinking that by claiming this guy has a mechanical engineering degree somehow makes him an expert in climatology is hilariously naive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah her general tactic when shown to be wrong is to ignore the post and keep posting the same wrong stuff. I can't believe she doesn't know the difference between a scientist and an engineer.
      Again, that's assuming good faith. If YOU made a post like that she'd know, and she'd call you out on it without a hint of irony to this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Mechanical engineering is one of the disciplines [among many] that deal with climate change and environmental issues.[/quote]
        Do you think that because they make the equipment used by climatologists that therefore makes them experts at climate change?

That's sort of like equating an auto mechanic to a Formula One or NASCAR driver. Just because they are involved in the same field doesn't make them the same.

Years ago I had a friend who was put in charge of repairing and recalibrating the equipment used by the CDC in their research on AIDS. This was in the 80s when a lot of people were scared to touch the equipment for fear of contracting AIDS. The point is, does his work qualify him to speak authoritatively on immunology or epidemiology?

Starting to get the picture yet?

ETA: Congratulations on finding yet another way that you can screw up the quote function.
        Or like a nurse claiming to be an expert on neurosurgery because she hands the surgeon his scalpel.

Comment

LOL. Yeah by designing machines that are used by climate change proponents and environmental issues. They are not scientists. Now I am not saying an engineer might not know science, just like anyone can become an expert in a topic on their own, but a mechanical engineering degree is does not confer any expertise in climate science and an engineer is not a scientist. You thinking that by claiming this guy has a mechanical engineering degree somehow makes him an expert in climatology is hilariously naive.
          Even more reading for comprehension issues. Where will it end?

I have never stated that Abraham is an "expert in climatology".
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

]

But not with climatology or climate science. Maybe you're the one that needs to read for comprehension. Mechanical engineers design mechanical devices and systems that can deal with climate change or environmental issues. Like solar panels, windmills, those various plastic removal contraptions that have begun use in oceans, even devices that trap carbon dioxide at power plants, carbon sequestered devices and systems, etc. etc..

They do not have any training or expertise in climatology or climate science - 1. Because they are engineers and not scientists and 2. Because their fields have nothing to do with climatology or climate science, or any earth sciences for that matter.

Comment

Yet you are pushing his opinion piece as some sort of "response" to the peer reviewed research you are STILL running away from and trying to malign

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                Yet you are pushing his opinion piece as some sort of "response" to the peer reviewed research you are STILL running away from and trying to malign
                Yup. Now that's she has acknowledged that Abrams is not an expert in climatology perhaps she can move beyond him and finally address the paper in question.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But not with climatology or climate science. Maybe you're the one that needs to read for comprehension. Mechanical engineers design mechanical devices and systems that can deal with climate change or environmental issues. Like solar panels, windmills, those various plastic removal contraptions that have begun use in oceans, even devices that trap carbon dioxide at power plants, carbon sequestered devices and systems, etc. etc..

They do not have any training or expertise in climatology or climate science - 1. Because they are engineers and not scientists and 2. Because their fields have nothing to do with climatology or climate science, or any earth sciences for that matter.
                  So you have finally grasped what I wrote? Bravo.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yup. Now that's she has acknowledged that Abrams is not an expert in climatology perhaps she can move beyond him and finally address the paper in question.
                  As I never alleged that John Abraham was an expert in climatology, your remark is irrelevant.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

So you have finally grasped what I wrote? Bravo.

As I never alleged that John Abraham was an expert in climatology, your remark is irrelevant.
                    I see so your posting of his credentials and then your massive copy-paste about mechanical engineering was..... your attempt to agree with me that the author of the popular news media opinion piece, has no relevant credentials an no experience in the field in question?

So now can you actually address the peer reviewed study, and cease distractions like posing opinion pieces by mechanical engineers in an attempt to malign and well poison the authors of that peer reviewed research (who actually are credentialed in the field in question, unlike Mr. Abraham)?

Comment

I see so your posting of his credentials and then your massive copy-paste about mechanical engineering was..... your attempt to agree with me that the author of the popular news media opinion piece
                      A piece written by someone with accredited qualifications in their field [and who provides a link to a paper disputing the findings of Christy and Spencer] has validity. Unlike those who pose on an obscure discussion board as an "Earth Scientist" but can never put forward any cogent argument.

And pretends that they could have responded if they had an honest interlocutor.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Here, you (accidentally I'm sure) left off the rest of my post:

"has no relevant credentials an no experience in the field in question?
                        So now can you actually address the peer reviewed study, and cease distractions like posing opinion pieces by mechanical engineers in an attempt to malign and well poison the authors of that peer reviewed research (who actually are credentialed in the field in question, unlike Mr. Abraham)?"

A piece written by someone with accredited qualifications in their field [and who provides a link to a paper disputing the findings of Christy and Spencer] has validity.
                        in his field, sure. But not in Climate Science or Climatology, where he has no such accredited qualifications (and certainly has no standing criticizing these authors who actually have relevant credentials)

Indeed, he is an engineer, as well, not even a scientist so any science issue is outside of his accredited qualifications. If he wants to write a piece about thermal transfer in his mechanical devices, I'll gladly listen to him and take his expertise into account. But he's not a scientist, and had zero credentials in climatology/climate science or even any general earth sciences.

Unlike those who pose on an obscure discussion board as an "Earth Scientist" but can never put forward any cogent argument.
                        Says the fake historian who STILL is running away from the peer reviewed research she was provided.

I think that's the problem here - you're an armchair ameteur historian and your buddy Mr. Abraham is an armchair amateur climate commentator so you feel a certain kinship to him, amirite?
                        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 08-08-2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

You quoted him as an authority on climate science and when questioned, you provided a list of his "expertise" claiming he had a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

But sure, you never said the exact sentence "Abraham is an expert in climatology"

Comment

You quoted him as an authority on climate science and when questioned, you provided a list of his "expertise" claiming he had a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

But sure, you never said the exact sentence "Abraham is an expert in climatology"
                            John Abraham was the author of the article I cited and our fake "Earth Scientist" dismissed him as:

a mechanical engineer.

Perhaps our fake "Earth Scientist" imagined Abraham was someone with a greasy rag in one hand and an adjustable spanner in the other!

Hence I gave the credentials of John Abraham.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

John Abraham was the author of the article
                              the opinion piece

cited and our fake "Earth Scientist" dismissed him as:

a mechanical engineer.
                              which is what he is. Or are you stating that you faked his credentials when you posted them?

Perhaps our fake "Earth Scientist" imagined Abraham was someone with a greasy rag in one hand and an adjustable spanner in the other!
                              Interesting imagination. Good thing you can only comment on what is written and not what you imagine people to be thinking...... right?
                              Which showed him to be, like I stated, a mechanical engineer.
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 08-08-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

John Abraham was the author of the article I cited and our fake "Earth Scientist" dismissed him as:

a mechanical engineer.

OK so you are admitting that he is not an expert on climatology? or are you trying to defend his expertise because he is a mechanical engineer? Pick one.

Comment