Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban "Assault Rifles" - FAIL - then go after handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban "Assault Rifles" - FAIL - then go after handguns

Since MOST mass shootings involve handguns, it should stand to reason that - IF somehow, semi-auto rifles were made unavailable to potential shooters - they'd just use semi-auto hand guns, instead.

Weapon types used in mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and June 2022, by number of weapons and incidents

semi auto 1.jpg

Guns used in mass shootings in the U.S. 1982-2022

Published by Statista Research Department, Jun 2, 2022 Handguns are the most common weapon type used in mass shootings in the United States, with a total of 146 different handguns being used in 98 incidents between 1982 and June 2022. These figures are calculated from a total of 129 reported cases over this period, meaning handguns are involved in about 76 percent of mass shootings.

The involvement of semi-automatic rifles in mass shootings

Owing to their use in several high-profile mass shootings, there has been much public discussion over suitability or necessity of assault weapons for the purpose of self-defense. While any definition of assault weapon is contentious, semi-automatic rifles are generally the main focus of debates around this issue. Since 1985 there has been a known total 50 mass shootings involving rifles, mostly semi-automatics. This figure is underreported though, as it excludes the multiple semi-automatic (and fully automatic) rifles used in the 2017 Las Vegas Strip massacre – the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, killing 58 and wounding 546. In fact, semi-automatic rifles were featured in four of the five deadliest mass shootings, being used in the Orlando nightclub massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre and Texas First Baptist Church massacre.

Mass shootings and gun control

Despite evidence of strict gun control measures reducing the frequency and severity of mass shootings in countries like Australia, citizens in the United States remain deeply divided over the issue. According to a survey about the expected impact of gun laws on the number of mass shootings, a slim majority of Americans believe that gun control measures will have little-to-no effect. Most likely, this opinion is influenced by an underlying commitment among many in the U.S. to the greater importance of protecting gun ownership rights than limiting access to firearms. This sits in sharp contrast to many other developed countries. For example, most Canadians support a ban on civilian owned firearms.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

No one's going to ban anything. Dems can huff and puff their way to the mid terms with this nonsense, but banning ain't happening without either courts shooting it down or a civil war. What I'm concerned about, and seems likely to happen since a lot of Reps are also on board, is read flag laws.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      No one's going to ban anything.
      Agreed. Just showing the absolute futility of going for a ban on "assault rifles".

Dems can huff and puff their way to the mid terms with this nonsense, but banning ain't happening without either courts shooting it down or a civil war. What I'm concerned about, and seems likely to happen since a lot of Reps are also on board, is read flag laws.
      I'm not for "red flag laws" - I'm for more of a voluntary system where people actually do their jobs -- school teachers and counselors who actually know things, law enforcement people who have had multiple contacts - paying attention to so many red flags that only seem to become evident after a shooting incident.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Agreed. Just showing the absolute futility of going for a ban on "assault rifles".

I'm not for "red flag laws" - I'm for more of a voluntary system where people actually do their jobs -- school teachers and counselors who actually know things, law enforcement people who have had multiple contacts - paying attention to so many red flags that only seem to become evident after a shooting incident.
        I agree. Most of the pro-red flag law proponents I've heard will respond with -- "Well, what do we do when these people are rooted out, how do we monitor them or stop them?" It's called a multi billion dollar tax payer counter terrorism system that supposedly in place since 911 for this very thing.

Comment

But those handguns are "fully semi-automatic"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            But those handguns are "fully semi-automatic"
            and can blow a lung right out of the body! I have x-rays proving that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

and can blow a lung right out of the body! I have x-rays proving that!
              I had a boss who just before retiring to take care of his wife after a stroke bought a Desert Arms .50 handgun. I figure if any pistol could blow a lung out of a body that one could.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I had a boss who just before retiring to take care of his wife after a stroke bought a Desert Arms .50 handgun. I figure if any pistol could blow a lung out of a body that one could.
                I fired a "Smith 500" --- ONE TIME!

A) Just to say I did it
                2) Don't need to do it again

Comment

The problem with red flag laws is that they would be misused by gun control liberals. They would just flag someone as "crazy" or "violent" and take away their guns without any proof. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they used "He has more than 10 guns, so he must be insane and we need to take his guns" type of arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    The problem with red flag laws is that they would be misused by gun control liberals. They would just flag someone as "crazy" or "violent" and take away their guns without any proof. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they used "He has more than 10 guns, so he must be insane and we need to take his guns" type of arguing.
                    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      No one's going to ban anything. Dems can huff and puff their way to the mid terms with this nonsense, but banning ain't happening without either courts shooting it down or a civil war. What I'm concerned about, and seems likely to happen since a lot of Reps are also on board, is read flag laws.
                      If anything gets banned it will be like that useless 1994 "assault weapons ban" that had no measurable impact on crime or mass shootings, and then only of Dems get some more power in the Legislature.

But yeah red flag laws seem to be the most likely thing to actually get passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The same folks who flag posts on Facebook and Twitter will be busy calling in reports to the police.

Comment