Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University of Wisconsin stands by 'Problem of Whiteness' course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post

Which is ridiculous on the face of it. Segregation era racism is explicit and intentional. Systemic racism is implicit and unintentional.
    No, on both counts.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Point taken, although I believe that Teal was speaking significantly more strongly than what the course description says here.

Hmm, consciously pushing systemic racism seems quite an awful like apartheid and would then qualify as segregation style racism, no?
      I wasn't talking about the course description at all at that point - I was talking about Spart's point which, like your own, pigeon-holes racism. If institutional racism is defined to be unconscious then it isn't racism at all - it's mere preference at best (really really dumb science at worst). Institutions are made up of people - and people generally know their own attitudes and motivations. Institutions merely reflect those.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        Y'all keep saying it, but I'm not seeing it

Would you question it if the course was titled:"Yellowness and superior technological education"?

You should - defining people by their skin color is a bad thing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

how ironic. the left scream "racism" at the drop of a hat (or sombrero) unless it is against whites, then they will find any rationalization they can to excuse it and even promote it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            There's also the issue of reverse racism, which this course seems to be a prime example of, atleast if you read the course description.
            There's no such thing as reverse racism, racism against white people is just regular racism.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Would you question it if the course was titled:"Yellowness and superior technological education"?

I think some of you are totally missing a fundamental point of the course, namely that race is not merely a biological fact but is also a social construct, at least when it is studied from a sociological perspective. The course or professor is decidedly NOT defining people merely by their skin color.
              Last edited by robrecht; 12-24-2016, 02:23 PM.
              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

The prof's a postmodernist for whom race is a construct and in whose mind, consequently, Rachel Dolezal actually became black.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  how ironic. the left scream "racism" at the drop of a hat (or sombrero) unless it is against whites, then they will find any rationalization they can to excuse it and even promote it!
                  Am I officially part of the "Left" now?

Comment

Whatever else happens in this thread, I'll call my participation a success: jaecp amen'ed a post in which I called Margaret Sanger a racist

Comment

you've been to the left of stalin for years bruh
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

seems so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          seems so.
                          If starlight were to say so I'd be offended, but since it's you

Comment

Whatever else happens in this thread, I'll call my participation a success: jaecp amen'ed a post in which I called Margaret Sanger a racist
                            My 80% friend is not my 20% enemy

I'll make sure to message you after every Planned Parenthood event I participate in in January ;)

If you focus on the social gospel and kick Paul Ryan's style of economic conservatism that ends up hurting those people to the curb then you'd be perfectly at home with my friend Seamus, Catholic, who chaired my organization in 2014 or Gwen, also Catholic, who is chairing it now.
                            Last edited by Jaecp; 12-24-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

My 80% friend is not my 20% enemy

I'll make sure to message you after every Planned Parenthood event I participate in in January ;)
                              Yeah well given the rate at which you've been replying I won't hear about it until April anyway.

If you focus on the social gospel and kick Paul Ryan's style of economic conservatism that ends up hurting those people to the curb then you'd be perfectly at home with my friend Seamus, Catholic, who chaired my organization in 2014 or Gwen, also Catholic, who is chairing it now.
                              Every time a Democrat mentions Paul Ryan, my alarm starts going off.

Comment

The reason there is no need to fear this class is because reality dooms it and it's adherents to failure.

The moment someone goes through the trouble to actually build something is the moment they begin to look for the best people to do the job. That is going to be a person who doesn't care to explore ridiculous theories regarding skin color. You put money on the table and all the very fine notions about fairness evaporate like a morning mist in the noon day sun.

Only academics and government officials, who aren't actually expected to produce anything for a living, can afford to be so foolish.

I say this because the class cannot produce anything. If your goal is to hire the best people for your business your business is the most likely to succeed. Those who want to muck up the hiring process with white guilt and other nonsense are going to end up hiring people who are less fit for the job. Ultimately those businessmen will either grow up or end up bankrupt. Capitalism is ruthless. The people who are too immature to look past race can go work in government - they'll be overpaid but at least they won't get in the way of people who want to work for a living.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment