Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I used to watch RT videos nonstop back in the day (like 2008) for their geopolitical perspective, until I stopped and unsubscribed because I didn't see any value anymore. I also used to watch Max Keiser before he became an obnoxious bitcoin shill. But what I find interesting is that RT used to promote essentially leftwing politics back in the day. In fact, they were essentially TYT with a pro-Putin angle. Their sub YT channel, RT America, got so bad with their promotion of white on black crime and pro-BLM, they were the first channel I unsubbed. So if RT is a Russian state controlled channel, for some reason, they chose leftwing politics to endorse. Now they seem pretty neutral, though I haven't watched an RT America clip in years.
    The purpose of Russian propaganda in America is to stir up trouble -- to foment dissent. That's what they did in 2016 in what was actually an incredibly inept operation (IIRC, half of the stuff they posted appeared after the election was over), but thanks to Hillary and the Democrats, succeeded beyond all expectations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Meh. Russia was also recognizing the legitimacy of Ukraine's border up to the point they invaded.

It seems that the only reason they consider him legit is so they can blame him for not surrendering: "It's your fault that people keep resisting our invasion., so we have no choice but to keep killing them"
      That and if Russia continues to voice recognition of Zelinsky as the true political leader of Ukraine then it will make it seem more legitimate when he does call for a ceasefire.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That and if Russia continues to voice recognition of Zelinsky as the true political leader of Ukraine then it will make it seem more legitimate when he does call for a ceasefire.
        He's the duly elected leader of Ukraine. He doesn't need the Russian's stamp of approval to be their legitimate leader.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The purpose of Russian propaganda in America is to stir up trouble -- to foment dissent. That's what they did in 2016 in what was actually an incredibly inept operation (IIRC, half of the stuff they posted appeared after the election was over), but thanks to Hillary and the Democrats, succeeded beyond all expectations.
          Ironically enough, Jill Stein was a frequent guest on RT, and what did she do during the 2016 election? Why she filed that recount bid in multiple states that kept the controversy going. But I'm not entirely sure if her intent was to foment the dissent passed just her desire to con her voter base out of millions.

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

Comment

He's the duly elected leader of Ukraine. He doesn't need the Russian's stamp of approval to be their legitimate leader.
              I'm not saying he needs their stamp of approval. I'm saying that this plays better for Russia if they continue to recognize Zelinsky as a legitimate leader, even if it's only lip service.

Comment

• She's just a heartbeat away from the presidency...

kamala-harris-quote-ukraine-russia-explanation.jpg
                Yup. Obviously picked for her brain power and not just for color and sex.

Comment

She's just a heartbeat away from the presidency...

Or she's trying to explain the conflict in a way that's simple enough for Democrat voters to understand.

Comment

Or she's trying to explain the conflict in a way that's simple enough for Democrat voters to understand.
                    Possibly, but given her history of explaining things...

Then again maybe she's explaining it to old Joe since he seems to get Iran and Ukraine confused

Last edited by rogue06; 03-03-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

She's just a heartbeat away from the presidency...

See Jane run. See Spot run. See Jane chase Spot.

Comment

He's an enigma. Most of the time he's reasonable, but then he has moments like this where he suddenly goes hardcore lunatic.
                        He is fine as long as you agree with him or his viewpoint. Once you take a viewpoint opposing his, he becomes instantly hostile and you become the "enemy" - Jekyll and Hyde.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I've consistently called out the lies and bullcrap during fog of war, including the phony Muslim wars we waged during the Bush and Obama eras, and I'm not going to stop now. At least with the phony Muslim wars I could sort of empathize because we essentially had a cause -- protecting the petrodollar (its global place as a reserve currency) and our standard of living. Even though I still hated the deceit, I get that. But I see nothing in the way of Ukraine that benefits our interests, so the lies and deceit bother me even more and I'm going to call it out more. In fact, I'll probably do it even more now since it irks you so much, and I'll watch you get even more nutty and unhinged.
                          The reason keeping Ukraine free is in our interest is to keep Russia weak. Right now they are fairly weak militarily and economically (with the exception of having nukes). But if they succeed in rebuilding the Soviet Union they will be adding a lot of resources to their coffers and will become much stronger and a larger threat to us and the world than they are now. If you think they are bad now, just hold their vodka if they succeed in getting Ukraine and then start moving on other former soviet countries. Also, Europe will not sit by while Russia starts expanding again. They saw what happened when they did nothing when Hitler started. So if the world can't stop Putin in Ukraine, we are probably looking at WW3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The reason keeping Ukraine free is in our interest is to keep Russia weak. Right now they are fairly weak militarily and economically (with the exception of having nukes). But if they succeed in rebuilding the Soviet Union they will be adding a lot of resources to their coffers and will become much stronger and a larger threat to us and the world than they are now. If you think they are bad now, just hold their vodka if they succeed in getting Ukraine and then start moving on other former soviet countries. Also, Europe will not sit by while Russia starts expanding again. They saw what happened when they did nothing when Hitler started. So if the world can't stop Putin in Ukraine, we are probably looking at WW3.
                            I think Russia's weakness is being exaggerated. We keep hearing that this is a botched invasion and that the Russian military has been "stalled" multiple times, but given how much ground they've taken and continue to take, it seems more likely that the "stalls" are really just the army regrouping and resupplying for their next push. The West has been fighting a propaganda war which Russia is losing, but I doubt Putin cares what is being said by our media, and the Russian military seems to have the invasion well in hand.

In short, Joe made the worst mistake that any Commander in Chief could make: he underestimated the enemy.

Comment

I think Russia's weakness is being exaggerated. We keep hearing that this is a botched invasion and that the Russian military has been "stalled" multiple times, but given how much ground they've taken and continue to take, it seems more likely that the "stalls" are really just the army regrouping and resupplying for their next push. The West has been fighting a propaganda war which Russia is losing, but I doubt Putin cares what is being said by our media, and the Russian military seems to have the invasion well in hand.

In short, Joe made the worst mistake that any Commander in Chief could make: he underestimated the enemy.
                              The only "weakness" must be logistical. From what I understand, Russia has the technology, weapons, and the manpower to get the job done. There is either some leadership issues or a morale problem, or both.

Comment

They are weak compared to us, currently. I have no doubt they can take Ukraine eventually. The main thing Russia has going for it is having Nukes and a crazy enough leader that the world fears he will use them. If it weren't for them Europe would have taken Russia by now. They are huge in land mass but like Canada, most of it is uninhabited tundra. The entire population of Russia is 144 million. GDP was $1.4 Trillion in 2020, less than Texas ($2T). Their military is smaller than North Korea. They are the 5th largest active military (US is 3rd)

Comment