Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What does "Not Gerrymandered" look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm sure we'll be arguing soon but never forget you're still a friend.
    I will do my best, but frequent reminders might be required

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

And now to my blunder. Yes - my bad. I will admit my point would have been much better made had I picked an example that actually exists.

Nevertheless, gerrymandering/not gerrymandering is not about giving/taking the voice to/of minorities. It is about retaining power even when the in-power party is losing ground with their electorate, perhaps because their slate of candidates is lackluster or vulnerable in some way to a loss in a pure majority vote situation. Your post, and several other posts in this thread, seem to me to downplay the problem with gerrymandering by emphasizing that even non-gerrymandered districts can silence the voice of an out-of-power party.

If I misunderstood the intent of your post in that regard, my apologies.

Jim
      Your definition doesn't really help there. I would also point out your definition is incomplete. If we imagine a scenario where Alpha and Zeta give the redistricting over to a 3rd party, and Zeta bribes that third party, that third party could create a situation where Zeta, being forever out of power, now has a majority of seats in the legislature. This would also be a gerrymander, and would not be about the "in-power party" retaining power, it would be about the "out-power part" gaining power.

My question is to highlight a problem. Districting is artificial, no matter how you define it. And I think that's an important point. Because with the exception of extreme situation, you have to define the contrast. This means you have to be able to articulate what the "default" position is.

This becomes important because many are advocating for a 3rd party to create maps, so as to stop gerrymandering. But, those maps still have to be built, and they have to be built with some goal in mind, because without a goal in mind, someone can put a goal in place. I guarantee you that the "perfectly non-gerrymandered" examples I gave would be soundly rejected if proposed.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Your definition doesn't really help there. I would also point out your definition is incomplete. If we imagine a scenario where Alpha and Zeta give the redistricting over to a 3rd party, and Zeta bribes that third party, that third party could create a situation where Zeta, being forever out of power, now has a majority of seats in the legislature. This would also be a gerrymander, and would not be about the "in-power party" retaining power, it would be about the "out-power part" gaining power.

My question is to highlight a problem. Districting is artificial, no matter how you define it. And I think that's an important point. Because with the exception of extreme situation, you have to define the contrast. This means you have to be able to articulate what the "default" position is.

This becomes important because many are advocating for a 3rd party to create maps, so as to stop gerrymandering. But, those maps still have to be built, and they have to be built with some goal in mind, because without a goal in mind, someone can put a goal in place. I guarantee you that the "perfectly non-gerrymandered" examples I gave would be soundly rejected if proposed.
        The elephant in the room is that gerrymandering is used to hold onto power. It works, regardless of what sort special cases might exist that could cause it to do something else. And both parties are guilty of trying to leverage it to gain unfair advantage. My point was primarily to illustrate how and why it can be used to accomplish said goal.

Knowing how it works we can then analyse whatever distracting plan is employed to see if it lends itself to that sort of abuse. It is likely, though not iguaranteed, that any such such districting plan with high enough potential bias was constructed and not accidental. But regardless of cause,, it is in the interests of democracy dstricting plans with a sufficiently high potential for bias be rejected.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Not gerrymandered can have many different superficial appearances. Gerrymander is a verb. It is the purposed manipulation of a district to cause it to be more of a homogeneous voting block as defined by party.
          Sorry, Jim, but this is incorrect.

Gerrymandering may be done in order to make a voting district more homogeneous, so that the majority party is in the majority in all areas.

Gerrymandering may be done in order to make a voting district less homogeneous, in order to concentrate votes for one party in some seats. This can be done either to enable a minority party to gain seats where they would otherwise have none, but more likely to concentrate votes for one party in a small number of seats so that they get less representation than before. This can enable one party to gain the majority of seats even if they are supported by a minority of voters.
          Generally, gerrymandered districts require complex and multifaceted tiling of the districts so as to gain sufficient homogeneity as to increase the probability the party in power stays in power.
          If the party currently in power has less votes than the opposition, this would wipe them out.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Sorry, Jim, but this is incorrect.

Gerrymandering may be done in order to make a voting district more homogeneous, so that the majority party is in the majority in all areas.

Gerrymandering may be done in order to make a voting district less homogeneous, in order to concentrate votes for one party in some seats. This can be done either to enable a minority party to gain seats where they would otherwise have none, but more likely to concentrate votes for one party in a small number of seats so that they get less representation than before. This can enable one party to gain the majority of seats even if they are supported by a minority of voters.

If the party currently in power has less votes than the opposition, this would wipe them out.
            Thanks!

Yes, It does appear I was overly narrow in my description of how gerrymandering might be used by the gerrymandering party to secure power. And i would agree it is important we recognize as much as possible how many ways a purposed rigging of a districting plan can be used when evaluating if a districting plan has been constructed for that purpose.

Comment

The elephant in the room is that gerrymandering is used to hold onto power. It works, regardless of what sort special cases might exist that could cause it to do something else. And both parties are guilty of trying to leverage it to gain unfair advantage. My point was primarily to illustrate how and why it can be used to accomplish said goal.

Knowing how it works we can then analyse whatever distracting plan is employed to see if it lends itself to that sort of abuse. It is likely, though not iguaranteed, that any such such districting plan with high enough potential bias was constructed and not accidental. But regardless of cause,, it is in the interests of democracy dstricting plans with a sufficiently high potential for bias be rejected.
              This gets back to what I'm saying. Go back to the plans proposed by Beta and Gamma. (Statewide and "randomized virtual districts"). Both likely create 10/0 or 9/1 legislatures in favor of alpha. Given the 60/40 split of the state, do you argue that this creates a "high potential for bias". How you answer this question gets to the heart of what you think "not gerrymandered" is.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This gets back to what I'm saying. Go back to the plans proposed by Beta and Gamma. (Statewide and "randomized virtual districts"). Both likely create 10/0 or 9/1 legislatures in favor of alpha. Given the 60/40 split of the state, do you argue that this creates a "high potential for bias". How you answer this question gets to the heart of what you think "not gerrymandered" is.
                Only when the population votes along party lines. Democracy IS majority rule. We can expect that when a population's majority opinions are reflected by a single party that that party will retain power.

The issue is does the plan prevent a shift in opinion about the two party's policies from being reflected by the shift in the votes of the people. Does the districting plan allow a majority that becomes a minority to retain power? Gerrymandered districts, as I showed, can do that.

IIRC, Both of the plans you propose will allow that shift in popularity to be seen as a shift in power from alpha to beta. They are neither one gerrymandered districting plans.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-14-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Or Illinois

Source: ILLINOIS’ ‘EXTREME’ RISK OF GERRYMANDERING BECOMES REALITY THROUGH CONGRESSIONAL MAP

The Illinois congressional map proposal released by Democrats has districts that are far from compact, snaking to catch and avoid populations. Republicans label it the ‘Nancy Pelosi Protection Plan.’

Democrats in Illinois’ General Assembly unveiled a proposed congressional map Oct. 15, with 17 districts that twist, turn and look like the textbook version of a gerrymander.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The only time Democrats have a problem with gerrymandering is when they aren't doing it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As you woke this thread up, I'll give my point of view. Wish you hadn't now, dontcha?

Presidents represent everyone in the country. They should be elected by a simple majority vote of everyone, without silly electoral colleges.

There are lots of countries in the world that have many different voting systems. So ...

Appoint an independent body to study all these systems, and the historic results in this country, and come up with a "best" system. This would include measures to limit fraud,and other rules governing stuff like postal voting.

Either have a Federal body perform all redistricting, or issue guidelines that each state must abide by.

Enshrine the new system in law.

Revisit the system after 2 or 3 elections and make adjustments as necessary.

Kick Trump in the crotch, hard.

Comment