Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia School Dumbing Down Education so ANYBODY can pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia School Dumbing Down Education so ANYBODY can pass

Virginia HS lowers standards so much that students don’t even need to try on final exams or complete assignments on time

A school district in northern Virginia is making sure students don't fall behind during the COVID-19 pandemic by discounting bad final exam grades and no longer requiring students to complete homework assignments on time.

What are the details?

In an email to parents on Thursday, Alexandria City High School Principal Peter Balas reminded parents about adjusted grading policies passed by district board members last month that aim to "mitigate the impact of the pandemic" on students.

The policies — which effectively make it so that students don't need to try at all on final exams or worry about completing homework assignments — sound like a lazy high school student's dream.

"A final exam for a year-long or semester course will only be counted if it does not lower the student’s final grade for the course," Balas noted, adding, "The lowest grade that may be awarded on a final exam is 50%."

As for missing work, Balas recited that "a one-week minimum grace period with no penalty will be used for all assignment deadlines."

Moreover, students who fail to complete the assignment during the grace period due to verified absences or quarantine are allowed to turn in the assignment for full credit up until two weeks before the end of the quarter. And students who fail to complete the assignment without a verified absence can still turn in the assignment later for up to 80% credit.

Beyond that, "Students will be provided with an automatic opportunity for reassessment on any assessment for which a grade of D or less was earned," for which a maximum revised grade of 80% can be earned.

The full policy document implemented by Alexandria City Public Schools can be viewed here.

Why does it matter?

The COVID-19 pandemic's negative effect on students' academic achievement has been well-documented. And a large majority of parents remain concerned that schedule disruptions will result in their children falling farther behind academically — especially as schools across the country have moved once again to close classrooms in recent weeks over "teacher burnout."

But lowering standards as much as Alexandria City Public Schools has may certainly be considered a questionable approach to addressing the problem.

"I'm glad Alexandria City Public Schools took the time to translate their complete surrender of all academic standards into four separate languages; it's like a Rosetta Stone of mediocrity," tweeted National Review's Jeff Blehar.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Weren't they trying to do something like this earlier in the year but public out cry forced them to back down?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Weren't they trying to do something like this earlier in the year but public out cry forced them to back down?
      Don't know, but it sure devalues a diploma like TRILLIONS of dollars devalue the dollar.

Then, again, why would these kids need a diploma if they're gonna get guaranteed minimum income?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Don't know, but it sure devalues a diploma like TRILLIONS of dollars devalue the dollar.

Then, again, why would these kids need a diploma if they're gonna get guaranteed minimum income?
        Or why do they need a worthless diploma since nobody will care?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Almost no one works anymore anyway. Small business closures are rampant. But I guess we'll have huge Leftist monopolies remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            Almost no one works anymore anyway. Small business closures are rampant. But I guess we'll have huge Leftist monopolies remaining.
            Back when Clinton was president there was a leftwing university professor on one of the talking head cable news shows tacitly acknowledge that contrary to perception the left hates small businesses and loves mega-corporations. Primarily because it isn't hard to coerce the latter to tow what ever line the left wants whereas with smaller businesses, not nearly as much.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Back when Clinton was president there was a leftwing university professor on one of the talking head cable news shows tacitly acknowledge that contrary to perception the left hates small businesses and loves mega-corporations. Primarily because it isn't hard to coerce the latter to tow what ever line the left wants whereas with smaller businesses, not nearly as much.
              It makes sense.

I don't want to derail this thread, but only mention that what we're seeing now isn't really Leftism. The "Left" is just a label. Big companies donate big money to Leftist candidates, and in return they get legislation and policies that favor big corporations. Small companies are like the middle class, they don't support the Leftoid revolution and are the targets by this group. This smells more like fascism.

Amazon just moved into my area and is hiring. It doesn't take a lot of brains to pack and move boxes, but they can pay a salary equal or better than small restaurants or specialty shops. A great place for Virginia graduates.

Comment

It makes sense.

I don't want to derail this thread, but only mention that what we're seeing now isn't really Leftism. The "Left" is just a label. Big companies donate big money to Leftist candidates, and in return they get legislation and policies that favor big corporations. Small companies are like the middle class, they don't support the Leftoid revolution and are the targets by this group. This smells more like fascism.

Amazon just moved into my area and is hiring. It doesn't take a lot of brains to pack and move boxes, but they can pay a salary equal or better than small restaurants or specialty shops. A great place for Virginia graduates.
                So, no need for educated workers - in fact, they would actually need warm bodies to perform repetitive functions that don't require a whole lot of knowledge. Until, of course, it becomes cheaper to employ robots to do the same things, without the need for HR, health and safety, vacation time, overtime, training, discipline...

Comment

It wouldn't be a bad job if not for the fact that Amazon has a reputation for treating its employees like garbage.

Regarding the thread topic, it unfortunately seems that liberals are in a race to the bottom, that instead of trying to raise people up to the higher standards, they simply lower the standard to that of the least competent members of society, and those making these decisions are either morons who have no idea of the consequences,, or they are deliberately and insidiously creating a population that is uneducated, unskilled, and dependent on others -- such as those in power -- to take care of them.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It wouldn't be a bad job if not for the fact that Amazon has a reputation for treating its employees like garbage.

Regarding the thread topic, it unfortunately seems that liberals are in a race to the bottom, that instead of trying to raise people up to the higher standards, they simply lower the standard to that of the least competent members of society, and those making these decisions are either morons who have no idea of the consequences,, or they are deliberately and insidiously creating a population that is uneducated, unskilled, and dependent on others -- such as those in power -- to take care of them.
                    Start learning Chinese.

Good morning: Zǎoshang hǎo (早上好)

Although I've heard simply saying "zǎo" will suffice in most circumstances.

Comment