Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supply Chain Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Or fine the state of California which has made it very difficult for trucking companies to operate in their state, especially ones not based in California.....
    yes becuase trucking companies used Independent truckers to fill in when they needed more truckers then the ones employed full time by them which happens alot. you see there was a law that the Democrats in control of our state enacted one that really hit folks that worked for themselves and not others you now like the people who did bit pieces for small news companies or folks that did piecemeal work for companies instead of becoming permanent employees. The Democrats "wanting to stop these people from being taken advantage of" NOTsaid that they could no longer do piecemeal work they wanted to do it effected the indepenant truck drivers who took care of their own trucks and liked it that way.
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-29-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You really don't know anything about how unions operate, do you?
      or how the Democrats in California changed it so that the trucking companies could no longer operate in an efficient manor by taking away their right let independent truckers help them out they needed to move more then they had thier own truck drivers for.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

yes becuase trucking companies used Independent truckers to fill in when they needed more truckers then the ones employed full time by them which happens alot. you see there was a law that the Democrats in control of our state enacted one that really hit folks that worked for themselves and not others you now like the people who did bit pieces for small news companies or folks that did piecemeal work for companies instead of becoming permanent employees. The Democrats "wanting to stop these people from being taken advantage of" NOTsaid that they could no longer do piecemeal work they wanted to do it effected the indepenant truck drivers who took care of their own trucks and liked it that way.
        I believe you're referring to the gig worker legislation which basically said that contract employees had to be treated identically to full-time employees in terms of pay and benefits and eliminated a primary incentive for companies to ever hire contract workers, never mind the fact that a great many people voluntarily sought out that kind of work.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-29-2021, 02:22 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I believe you're referring to the gig worker legislation which basically said that contract employees had to be treated identically to full-time employees in terms of pay and benefits and eliminated a primary incentive for companies to ever hire contract workers, never mind the fact that a great many people voluntarily sought out that kind of work.
          yep and it hits gig workers who are not from California as well which is why there are not enough truckers to move things around especially for hte Ports who have no truckers of thier own they used to use the independent truckers to move things around. Stoic needs to check and see what the whole story is before he says the Trucking companies shoudl be fined for not doing what the Democrats in California have made impossible to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Trump isn't president and hasn't been for almost a year.
            That's why I specified "last year".

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He did. They didn't quit their jobs until Biden got into office and paid people not to work, caused the price of fuel to skyrocket and shutdown fuel lines and claimed he was fixing the world by eliminating fossil fuels. And they are leaving or being forced to leave because of the vaccine mandate.
              You sure about that?

This is from 2020:

Approximately 88,300 truck drivers lost their jobs in April.

It's the biggest single-month loss of trucking jobs on record, according to data extending back to January 1990.

April wiped out all trucking employments gained during the past five years and a half years, bringing the industry back to its employment numbers in November 2014.

The coronavirus is just the latest in challenges for the trucking industry. Trucking had a rough 2019, with drivers like Chad Boblett in Lexington, Kentucky, saying the industry is in a "bloodbath." In the first half of 2019, around 640 trucking companies went bankrupt, according to industry data from Broughton Capital. That's more than triple the amount of bankruptcies from the same period the year before — 175.

The 2019 trucking recession was also spurred by the decline in manufacturing. The Institute of Supply Management said manufacturing contracted for several months last year; in October, the index slipped to its lowest level since June 2009.

But 2020 is making even the worst months of the 2019 trucking "bloodbath" look wimpy. In August of 2019, trucking companies slashed some 5,100 payrolls — the worst decline seen last year. Meanwhile, 16 times as many drivers lost their jobs in April.

source

Comment

You really don't know anything about how unions operate, do you?
                If you have a point to make, try to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                  That's why I specified "last year".
                  Old Joe didn't start mucking up everything he touched until this year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you have a point to make, try to make it.
                    I have, over and over.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Old Joe didn't start mucking up everything he touched until this year.
                      Trump was still around last year.

Comment

I have, over and over.
                        I guess you think you have.

Comment

I guess you think you have.
                          It's been a pretty consistent theme with me how unions mess things up - particularly in law enforcement and education.

However, just for you, I'll post something directly pertaining to this situation, k?

Unions Have Made Supply-Chain Problems Worse

Organized-labor headlines typically offer a zap of top-line shock — UPS is paying some drivers $134,000 a year? Philadelphia is paying a police detective $310,000 a year? — but those six-figure sums don’t capture the true cost.

As can be seen with the enormously costly backup at the port complex in San Pedro, Calif. — which handles about 40 percent of U.S. container-ship cargo — the issue is not so much high wages as highly rigid and inflexible labor practices.

The problem in San Pedro isn’t that the longshoremen are earning, on average, $171,000 a year ($194,000 for a clerk and $282,000 for a foreman) plus the usual generous benefits — the problem is that the ships are not being unloaded in a timely fashion.

Instead, the ships have been sitting at sea. Where there might normally be no more than one ship waiting at anchor for a spot to unload, there recently have been as many as 95.

The Biden administration has responded with an initiative that is perfectly Bidenesque: vague and fuzzy about the details, offering the appearance of action but very little of the real thing. The administration says it brokered a deal under which the twin California ports now operate around the clock. The 24/7 operation began “weeks ago,” according to White House flack Jen Psaki.

You will not be entirely surprised to find that this is not true.

Port authorities tell the Long Beach Post that there is no terminal at either facility currently operating 24/7. What has happened is that the port authority has launched a pilot program under which one terminal at Long Beach (there are seven) will operate 24 hours a day Monday through Thursday. The rest of the week, it will revert to its usual restricted hours. No other terminal is offering 24-hour operations at this time, and none has announced plans to do so.

If there ever is an actual transition to 24/7 operations at the ports, it will take months or years to implement. And it will not solve the fundamental problem — instead, it almost certainly will only replace one rigid and inflexible labor arrangement with a different rigid and inflexible labor arrangement.

I'm pretty sure you could have found that, or something similar, yourself.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump was still around last year.
                            We haven't had empty shelves until now. Long after Trump was gone. Long after old Joe signed those mountains of E.O.s (while mumbling into a hot mic that he didn't know what it was he was signing) reversing virtually everything Trump did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We haven't had empty shelves until now. Long after Trump was gone. Long after old Joe signed those mountains of E.O.s (while mumbling into a hot mic that he didn't know what it was he was signing) reversing virtually everything Trump did.
                              We didn't have empty shelves until people started buying a lot more stuff, because of the recovering economy.

Comment

We didn't have empty shelves until people started buying a lot more stuff, because of the recovering economy.
                                Recovering from what? Oh, right, liberal lockdown policies pushed on us across the nation.

Comment